Suhr - Riot  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

1) These components just add a slight gain to the last stage instead of it being a pure buffer. I just like to have more output level, especially if using signal diode clipping instead of LEDs as the signal is then quite low in amplitude. You can skip that mod though as it is not changing the sound per se.

2) I did not like the low gain of the riot that much as it was too dark to make a good crunch, so I got rid of that range in the pot to fine tune the high gain range. To restore it, cut the jumper between pins 2 and 3 of the gain pot.

3) Low end grunt... Well, I am afraid if you get more grunt it may become muddy and veiled again. I would scoop the sound on your amp instead. If you are desperate, try adding 47 to 100n in parallel with C4 (the 220n cap in the feedback loop of IC1A). I have no guarantee you will like it. It will be less tight.

Enjoy!

ben_allison
Information

Post by ben_allison »

Wow thanks jymaze!!!

I was thinking in addition to the tone control, adding a "low shelf" might be a good mod, or, just replacing the tone control with a bass/treble baxandal type tone control.

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

Actually the tone stack as I tweaked it has a slight low shelf, with a small scoop around 200 Hz (muddy frequencies). A Baxandall would open possibilities, but the character of the sound will be very different. In the end , these tonestacks end up being useful over a very small range in my opinion. Just like a BMP tonestack, the range is huge, but only 11 to 1 in the course of the pot gives balanced sounds. A good project is actually to make a pedal with a Baxandall like a RC Booster. This gives more flexibility.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

There's a new "reloaded" version:

Does anyone know what the changes are?

Hexjibber
Information

Post by Hexjibber »

This is my build of the Riot on Chi_Boy's board, I'm really happy with the sound of it. I do have one small problem however, despite thinking I'd checked and double checked I had the right DPDT switch, I've actually got the other, wrong type, any tips for desoldering it without mangling the board too much? I'm fine with getting normal components out of a board but as the switch has six solder points I'm thinking it's going to be tricky!

Anyway here's some pics for the sake of posterity;

batak_man
Information

Post by batak_man »

roseblood11 wrote:There's a new "reloaded" version:

maybe its mr jymaze mod :horsey: :horsey:

chi_boy
Information

Post by chi_boy »

Hexjibber wrote:This is my build of the Riot on Chi_Boy's board, I'm really happy with the sound of it. I do have one small problem however, despite thinking I'd checked and double checked I had the right DPDT switch, I've actually got the other, wrong type, any tips for desoldering it without mangling the board too much? I'm fine with getting normal components out of a board but as the switch has six solder points I'm thinking it's going to be tricky!
I'm a little biased, but the whole build looks great. Nice job.

As for the switch, if it was me, I would sacrifice the switch and call it a day. I would try to carefully take the switch apart from the other side. No idea what would work, but I'm thinking screwdriver, pliers, Dremel. Basically just break it up until only the pins are sticking in the board, then de-solder them one at a time.

Hexjibber
Information

Post by Hexjibber »

chi_boy wrote: I'm a little biased, but the whole build looks great. Nice job.

As for the switch, if it was me, I would sacrifice the switch and call it a day. I would try to carefully take the switch apart from the other side. No idea what would work, but I'm thinking screwdriver, pliers, Dremel. Basically just break it up until only the pins are sticking in the board, then de-solder them one at a time.
Thanks! :)

I managed to get the switch de-soldered mercifully easily in the end with just a regular solder sucker, no breaking up required which was a pleasant result! Really enjoying the pedal, the only thing I'm unsure of is C90 & C91 on your board, I socketed them and added the caps but I can't really hear a noticeable difference? What should I be hearing, if anything?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

batak_man wrote:
roseblood11 wrote:There's a new "reloaded" version:

maybe its mr jymaze mod :horsey: :horsey:
Maybe.... But I'd really like to see a schematic!

AAntonio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AAntonio »

I have a US drem joyo us a copy of the riot
sounds much better than the madbean uprior
I send some pictures?

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

why not...i bet its the same circuit as the Riot with only one clipping option.
By the way,once again,Madbean's circuit is NOT like the original Suhr circuit,which has been published in this thread anyway!

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

hi, I got an original suhr riot, but it's not working. I opened it and it smell like something burned (I supposed someone tried once to power it with the wrong supply).
At the moment I only see there is a burnt transistor (i hope only this has burnt). Do someone has an actual schem of the pedal, so that I can repair it?
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Gila_Crisis wrote:hi, I got an original suhr riot, but it's not working. I opened it and it smell like something burned (I supposed someone tried once to power it with the wrong supply).
At the moment I only see there is a burnt transistor (i hope only this has burnt). Do someone has an actual schem of the pedal, so that I can repair it?
If you supply some good pics of both sides of the board, it's gonna be a lot easier helping you out here ;)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

I found online this picture. that D1 on the far left is burnt.
Attachments
Gedc5025.jpg

imnotgay
Information

Post by imnotgay »

looks like burnt diode..

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

yep, it seams also to me. I tried to power up the pedal, but nothings happens, also the led doesn't light up

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

That's the reverse polarity protection diode. Just remove it and with a bit of luck nothing else will be damaged. I wouldn't bother replacing it either, parallel protection diodes without a fuse are just stupid IMO.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Boss used to put a resistor in series to act as a fuse,so in reverse polarity the circuit is shorted by the diode and the high current burns the resistor first instead of the diode.
If this diode is parallel and burnt,the whole circuit went down,probably,bad news.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Gila_Crisis wrote:yep, it seams also to me. I tried to power up the pedal, but nothings happens, also the led doesn't light up
By the way, got the goop an hard or a soft consistency?

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

Manfred wrote:
Gila_Crisis wrote:yep, it seams also to me. I tried to power up the pedal, but nothings happens, also the led doesn't light up
By the way, got the goop an hard or a soft consistency?
an hard consistency