Suhr - Riot  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Gila_Crisis wrote:
Manfred wrote:
Gila_Crisis wrote:yep, it seams also to me. I tried to power up the pedal, but nothings happens, also the led doesn't light up
By the way, got the goop an hard or a soft consistency?
an hard consistency
Thanks for the information.
I see, degopping is no longer possible. :cry:

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

IvIark wrote:That's the reverse polarity protection diode. Just remove it and with a bit of luck nothing else will be damaged. I wouldn't bother replacing it either, parallel protection diodes without a fuse are just stupid IMO.
I had luck: I removed the diode an the pedal went back to life! :mrgreen:
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

imnotgay
Information

Post by imnotgay »

congratulations

Rethfing
Information

Post by Rethfing »

Hello guys

I've been reading this thread for a while now and was happy to see a solution for muddy, low-gain sounding Suhr Riot copy. I looked at the RCustoms schematics and on schematics I got with PCB I bought. Im not too good at reading schematics but the obvious problem was 3-position switch used in my PCB (it had every diode section separated). Fixing it however didnt solve the problem and the pedal still sounds bad. Im wondering if any on you could see some major problem in my schematics. I have used 4x germanium 1n34a, two 1n914, two red 3mm leds and one blue 5mm led.
Attachments
Suhr wrong 2.pdf
(399.83 KiB) Downloaded 723 times

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Rethfing wrote:Hello guys

I've been reading this thread for a while now and was happy to see a solution for muddy, low-gain sounding Suhr Riot copy. I looked at the RCustoms schematics and on schematics I got with PCB I bought. Im not too good at reading schematics but the obvious problem was 3-position switch used in my PCB (it had every diode section separated). Fixing it however didnt solve the problem and the pedal still sounds bad. Im wondering if any on you could see some major problem in my schematics. I have used 4x germanium 1n34a, two 1n914, two red 3mm leds and one blue 5mm led.
your schematic is still wrong,sorry,and pcb also i suppose.
Correct one is in the thread,check out author Markgor.

Rethfing
Information

Post by Rethfing »

Is there any way to fix it? If its 100% bad then Im going to make a vero or smth..

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Rethfing wrote:Is there any way to fix it? If its 100% bad then Im going to make a vero or smth..
you can fix it,its just a matter of relocating a cap and a resistor,and correcting some values,you can find them on the correct schem.

Rethfing
Information

Post by Rethfing »

@alexradium - I found 4 differences in schematics. In Markgor's:
C7 is 33pF - my is 47pF
C8 is 22nF - my is 33nF
C9 is 22nF - my is 10nF
C11 is 100pF - my is 470pF

I dont believe that it affects tone so much, so Im guessing its the diodes I used. Im going to get some non-germanium 1n34a I think...
Or you can always correct me if Im wrong :)

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Rethfing wrote:@alexradium - I found 4 differences in schematics. In Markgor's:
C7 is 33pF - my is 47pF
C8 is 22nF - my is 33nF
C9 is 22nF - my is 10nF
C11 is 100pF - my is 470pF

I dont believe that it affects tone so much, so Im guessing its the diodes I used. Im going to get some non-germanium 1n34a I think...
Or you can always correct me if Im wrong :)
the key is the c8 position,you can change anything but if you miss this you'll never get the correct frequencies.

Nacho5
Information

Post by Nacho5 »

I have read 20 pages and i don't understand which layout or pcb is correct or verified. I built version 1 of madbean before and it sounds ugly, tone pot don't make any difference. :roll:

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Nacho5 wrote:I have read 20 pages and i don't understand which layout or pcb is correct or verified. I built version 1 of madbean before and it sounds ugly, tone pot don't make any difference. :roll:
i don't think there is a single layout corresponding to the correct schematic,but you can modify the Madbean's,i did it so its possible.

proart107
Information

Post by proart107 »

Hi guys.
Question to those who have degoop Riot. Somebody wrote the manufacturer and brand of the relay?

Mrjason
Information

Post by Mrjason »

After reading tons on how to mod this pedal to add more high end .. trying all the mods written on this forum. The problem was that the schematic is wrong.

C9 should be on pin 1 of the treble pot to the ground, not in the bass, low mid boost section, this will solve the highs problem ! Thanks to Nickthemen!

Tried this and magic happened. Ended up replacing all the mods with their original values and this pedal rocks now.

Cheers

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

It had already been cleared here, anyway thanks for your input

Mrjason
Information

Post by Mrjason »

Actually those are the original mods I did. The mods by jymaze and MarkGor do add more high end but they are correcting a mistake by the original Madbean Uproar schematic I believe. Not component values but component placement.

"C9 should be on pin 1 of the treble pot to the ground, not in the bass, low mid boost section" Is really moving the leg of one component an eighth of on inch on the board vr changing four or five components. When doing the jymaze and markGor mods the pedal did gain high end but it also changed the mid frequency and low end response.

After I tried all the mods suggested. First changing 36n C8 and C9 down to 22n and then 4.5n, Changing C2 from 47p to 33p and then 22p. Then jymazes mods.... and then MarkGors I found this thread.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 13&t=12169 Second to last comment in this short thread.

Original searches on the topic steered me to Jymaze and Markgors suggestions.

I am only posting this to help anyone who has built an uproar like myself and looking to see why it is so dark sounding compared to a riot. No need to buy new components. The Tone pot leading into another resistor had me wondering why would they design it this way. Once I read Nicktheman's suggestion I had to try it and glad I did. Tone knob has a sweep of to dark too to bright. Happy place around 12:00 to 1:00 I would recommend trying it and hearing the difference! It literally takes just a minute to mod. Sounds amazing.

I did learn allot about how this circuit works and what tweaks effect what frequencies. I didn't like the Mid Boost Mod but did like how changing C2 from 47p to 33p cut some bass....so my Mid boost mod changed from Mid Boost to bass cut.

My 2cents

Thanks to all
Cheers

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're just saying is practically to follow the schematic posted by MarkGor 2 years ago ...or I'm missing something else?
The schematic I'm talking about is the one that I linked in my previous post, and you can see that C8 (C9 for you) is on pin 1 of the TONE potentiometer

Also, all the components' values should match the original circuit (no mods)

Does that schematic match yours?

Mrjason
Information

Post by Mrjason »

Doh ... you are right sir. I missed that on MarkGors schematic entirely. :oops:
I though he had just changed values of input cap to 33p c8 and c9 to 22n and c11 to 100p. In this very thread also :mrgreen:

I did change C8 and C9 back to 36n though and c11 back to 470p still have plenty of high end.

Just so pleased with the result I had to post it!

Carry on

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

I didn't want to sound harsh, sorry for that.
... But maybe I was missing something, that's why I asked
Mrjason wrote: Just so pleased with the result I had to post it
Yes!

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Is this what we are talking about?
How could that tone pot in mb's original layout go unnoticed :roll: :scratch: :scratch: :roll: :roll:
Attachments
Value comparison Suhr Riot
Value comparison Suhr Riot
suhrriotvaluecomparison.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 8090 times
Corrected Suhr Riot schematic
Corrected Suhr Riot schematic
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Mrjason
Information

Post by Mrjason »

No offence taken Intripped! I wish I had noticed that earlier .. would have saved me a week of scratching my head.

Modman,
The schematic I used was the Uproar pdf that's searchable on the web. Etched a pc board from his layout. It showed c2 as 47pF and c8 and c9 as 36n. I actually prefer these values playing through my amp anyhow.
Maybe the tone pot oversight is why MB discontinued that project? This is an awesome pedal though. Really glad I decided to build one. Now my Dumble clone that's voiced pretty mellow has a Marshall lurking inside it!

Not bashing MB either I just ordered a Klon Sunking board from him. Quality pc board for cheep.

Anyway keep on picking!