Wampler - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

The boost pre or post depends by your intentions od sound. The boost in the original project is before the main circuit and it gives a sort uf fuzziness. I read that the original boost is not so good after the distortion.
I have to try my MXR Micro Amp clone pre and post the main circuit of the Triple Wreck.

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

I tried the MXR Micro Amp before and after the Triple Wreck. It works really great!
It encreases the gain without changing the tone or adding hum if it is before the TW, and it can add a lot of volume if it is after the TW.
If somebody wants to replace the original booster of the Triple Wreck with a real gain booster the Micro Amp works perfectly.
Maybe changing the gain pot of the Micro Amp with a 250k, 100k or 50k reverse log to get a better taper.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Hello to all.

I have a question about TW. What is the accetptable noise level with gain potentiometer set to maximum? I have completed TW clone and there is almost no noise from zero gain position (7 o'clock) to 12 o'clock. Then it gets noisier, with noticeable noise from 15 o'clock.

T.

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

I found the TW not so noisy... we have to remember it's a distortion pedal.
Anyway, you can add the noise gate of the Tight Metal, you can use a simple switch or a pot to set the right value for you.
I still didn't try it, but someone else yes.

bamslam69
Information

Post by bamslam69 »

I have my triple wreck 1590BB enclosure ready to shove all the guts in.
It's going to be a tight squeeze.
More to come.

ryechua
Information

Post by ryechua »

bamslam69 wrote:Mine's been on the test board for months - a big case of procrastination. Plugged it in last night and it sounds epic. just have to scroll through this thread to work out where to put the boost. (pre or post)
Currently getting the design ready to etch the enclosure. Hopefully it turns out.

the boost goes in front and it is supposed to push the pedal into "fuzz" territory when the boost contour is maxed. i made a "mistake" when i first wired it, putting the boost at the end. it will make the pedal twice (or maybe more) as loud when you engage the boost.

bamslam69
Information

Post by bamslam69 »

Finished it a few weeks ago. I'm still waiting on some smaller diameter aluminium knobs from ebay.
My etching skills need some vast improvement too, but damn this thing sounds epic!

Thanks for the help, everyone!
completed pedal.jpg
completed pedal.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 4845 times

EdoCH
Information

Post by EdoCH »

Hi guys! I built mine for a while, but I've got an issue, a huge squeal when the gain it's over 3 o'clock
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YnfgX ... EtModzcrv2

Any suggestions? Everything else seems working good, as you can see in the video, the squeal seems coming by the section before the eq, the clipping one, but can we say it for sure?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Check your wiring (and post some pictures!). Maybe you have built a feedback loop...

EdoCH
Information

Post by EdoCH »

roseblood11 wrote:Check your wiring (and post some pictures!). Maybe you have built a feedback loop...
I used the Fuzzdog's kit, sorry I forgot to say it,
I checked connections already, but nothing, I think it could be some damage in the pcb unless some component defective

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

EdoCH wrote:
roseblood11 wrote:Check your wiring (and post some pictures!). Maybe you have built a feedback loop...
I checked connections already, but nothing, I think it could be some damage in the pcb unless some component defective
Why do you give money for shitty kits and then expect others to solve your problems for free?
Screenshot from 2018-05-07 14-26-01.png
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=59869
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22159#p221139
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Wiring of the triple wreck is probably very crucial. Built my clone according to the effectslayouts.blogspot.com layout (the one with interrupted gnd plane) in a 1590B without the boost section. Mine does also oscillate past 3 o'clock setting. Never managed to adress the problem properly, since in the end I didn't care because I never felt the need for more gain on the pedal side. If I need more gain I use one of my favourite booster pedals in front of it.
Last weekend I just had a perfect example of how crucial good wiring is to avoid such issues. Got a VH4 diy kit from UK-Electronic on my workbench a friend of mine attempted to build. Wiring was a mess and wires have been way too long. The thing oscillated like crazy in nearly every setting. I've redone the wiring and shortened everything - et voilá! - it worked like a charme (it's still a super noisey pedal though - lots of hiss).

Jan1966
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Jan1966 »

The fuzz dog one squeals like shit. Better off etching your own. There are loads of better choices.

Upper decker perhaps?

EdoCH
Information

Post by EdoCH »

Holy sh.., thank you guys, really, you saved me from wasting other time on this pcb. So if this one is so shitty wich one should I go for?
Jan1966 wrote:The fuzz dog one squeals like shit. Better off etching your own. There are loads of better choices.

Upper decker perhaps?
Is this Upper decker good for real? Or should I go for the effeclayouts as HEAD did? You tell me guys. I saw an upper decker video on youtube and seems sound great.
Thank you so much!!

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

modman wrote:
EdoCH wrote:
Why do you give money for shitty kits and then expect others to solve your problems for free?
Screenshot from 2018-05-07 14-26-01.png
not sure what you're getting at with the above image. someone asked what a kit was based on that we recently listed. we don't publicly name circuits.

shitty kits is a tad harsh, but each to his own.

and the build docs thing - problem? it's time management. if we're slack we'll get the doc done straight away, but we're rarely slack. it's time management. ok, that kit is listed, i'll get on with the year end accounts or the vat return. oh, someone has bought one. ok, i'll leave those and do the doc. exactly what happened at the weekend. docs are done for any new kits that were listed at the weekend that were actually purchased up to yesterday. any that go out today will have build docs ready before the customer receives their shipment.
Last edited by pedalpartsuk on 08 May 2018, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

pedalpartsuk
Information

Post by pedalpartsuk »

Jan1966 wrote:The fuzz dog one squeals like shit. Better off etching your own. There are loads of better choices.

Upper decker perhaps?
we've sold a lot of these and not had anyone reporting squealing until the current poster that i can remember. if we get more than one report with similar symptoms we immediately remove an item from sale until we can investigate. i've built maybe a dozen myself and had no issues.

and
Information

Post by and »

AAntonio wrote:HI

there is some mods to have more high
the pedal is a little dark
I did this project
c23 (330p) -> 100p..... :D
mad

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

I find too much muddy the Vintage Mode. (In the last production the name is hard, I guess.)
Of course the 4.7nF to the ground cut the high, but when I engage that mode I have to increase the Treble. A bit odd.

and
Information

Post by and »

Ichabod_Crane wrote:I find too much muddy the Vintage Mode. (In the last production the name is hard, I guess.)
Of course the 4.7nF to the ground cut the high, but when I engage that mode I have to increase the Treble. A bit odd.
here's a little mod... (may be useful)...change the hard/brutal switch to a100k pot (1 -- ground, 2,3 -- other contact)...capacitor 4.7n -->6.8n...you'll definitely find a sweet spot)...yes...and change the 330p feedback capacitor to 100p in the last IC.
mad

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Ok, thanks. It's a mod! :D