Wampler - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
rullywowr
Information

Post by rullywowr »

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! :D
For more information about getting a board set, you can click the link in my signature. Let me know if you have any questions.
rullywow industries - DIY Guitar PCB Projects
http://www.rullywow.com

TubeHugger
Information
my favorite amplifier: JCM800
Completed builds: BIG muff green version
JCM800 tube Preamp in a box
steampunk kitten ("original" recipe tube overdrive pedal)
angry kitten tube amp (5W EL84 evil little gainer)
JCM800 2204 replica amp
wampler triple wreck clone
reezafratzitz clone
Bsiab III
Crunchbox clone

Post by TubeHugger »

rullywowr wrote:Here's my layout for the Triple Wreck, complete with 3PDT breakout board (for switches and LEDs) which connects to the main board with a 6 conductor ribbon cable. Fits in a 1590BB perfectly.

[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Probably the most brutal distortion I have ever built/used. It does have a bit of squeal say past 90% on the gain pot, but that is to be expected for a pedal that has a ridiculous amount of gain. I have extra boards if anyone is interested, hit me up.
[smilie=eek2.gif]
wow what a magnificent build.
have clips?
"JMP it's a good place to be" - Big Bob

Casuistry7
Information

Post by Casuistry7 »

I would also like to hear this in action. I read all 21 pages of this thread and their is a few spin offs off the original posted schematic. I was able to learn 3PDT wiring for a box, and how to find parts on mouser..... It takes a looooonnnng time, lol. Also got a good grasp on some opamp stuff as well as converting uF-nF-pF. Just wanted to say thanks to all who supplied info on this.

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

as I get a bit more volume?

AAntonio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AAntonio »

HI

there is some mods to have more high
the pedal is a little dark
I did this project
Attachments
Wampler Triple Wreck - Viagem Mental - Fevereiro de 2013-1.jpg

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

AAntonio wrote:HI

I did this project

Looks good but it's too small to see the components. Do you have a larger pic and what the mods are?

AAntonio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AAntonio »

J0K3RX wrote:
AAntonio wrote:HI

I did this project

Looks good but it's too small to see the components. Do you have a larger pic and what the mods are?
yes
What can I change to have more high????
Many thanks
Attachments
Wampler Triple Wreck - Viagem Mental - Fevereiro de 2013-1.jpg

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

I need a bit more volume here. how?

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

rocklander wrote:I've made a 1590a layout.. I think it's right.. I built it and I get high gain sounds, but it's sounding a lil farty at times.. I think (hope) that it's something other than this pedal cos I'm getting the same result on a bsiab I made too so could be dodgy (car) speaker in my ruby is finally gone, or something else... all the controls do what they say though :blackeye

the orange and green are jumpers, and red is 9V, brown is 'B' just for my reference

(note the version numbers between the PCB and layout are different, but the only change was R10 value, not layout as such. thanks to slash555 for pointing that out :blackeye :thumbsup )

layout
triple-wreck-1590a-TL074-layout5.08(c).jpg
PCB
triple-wreck-1590a-TL074-pcb5.07.jpg
expressPCB project file and PDF (A4 paper size) including rcustoms' schem (hope that's okay, happy to remove it if if not)
triple-wreck.zip
triple-wreck-1590b-TL074-pcb-schem-layout.pdf
I need a bit more volume here. how?

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

You can try to bump R22 to 1 meg or even 2 meg. It should not create any significant noise as it is far in the chain of gain stages.

AAntonio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AAntonio »

for the high, I replaced with a capacitor c13 from 0,047 to 0,022
it seems to go better
what do you think?

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

rullywowr wrote:Probably the most brutal distortion I have ever built/used. It does have a bit of squeal say past 90% on the gain pot, but that is to be expected for a pedal that has a ridiculous amount of gain.

That is a great layout! Squeal past 90% on the gain pot? That should not happen, I have built quite a few now and have not had that problem.. They can be a bit noisy which is normal but no squeal. The squeal may be happening because you have the input and output coming off the board right next to each other and the ribbon wires directly next to each other? I would separate them to opposite sides of the board with separated wires and shielded if needed..

On recent builds I installed a gate like the TM and fine tuned it for zero noise.

chi_boy
Information

Post by chi_boy »

Thought I would show off a couple of successful builds. One is mine and the was built by another forum member.

This is a modded version with a SHO replacing the original booster and a charge pump on board for selectable 9V or 18V operation for both the SHO and the main circuit. The SHO is wired as a boost AFTER the main. This gives a nice volume boost when it is needed rather than the flubby boost of the original.

I can't take credit for the mod ideas themselves. Those were gleaned from the forums and other users.

Cheers!

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

chi_boy wrote:Thought I would show off a couple of successful builds. One is mine and the was built by another forum member.

This is a modded version with a SHO replacing the original booster and a charge pump on board for selectable 9V or 18V operation for both the SHO and the main circuit. The SHO is wired as a boost AFTER the main. This gives a nice volume boost when it is needed rather than the flubby boost of the original.

I can't take credit for the mod ideas themselves. Those were gleaned from the forums and other users.

Cheers!

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
Looks great! Where do you get your boards made?
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

chi_boy
Information

Post by chi_boy »

I get all of mine at Seeed. So far I've had vey good luck with them.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

chi_boy wrote:Thought I would show off a couple of successful builds. One is mine and the was built by another forum member.

Cheers!

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

This is the best I have seen yet!! Great work! got any top shots? I am working on a 1590b

chi_boy
Information

Post by chi_boy »

No, I actually didn't take any pics of the board topside before I boxed. I have some of the last version, but not this one.

Are you going SMD for the 1590 layout?

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

chi_boy wrote:No, I actually didn't take any pics of the board topside before I boxed. I have some of the last version, but not this one.

lol, actually I was talking about the top side of the enclosure :wink: No, I am doing through hole and no boost circuit. But, I am adding a noise gate..

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

J0K3RX wrote:
chi_boy wrote:No, I actually didn't take any pics of the board topside before I boxed. I have some of the last version, but not this one.

lol, actually I was talking about the top side of the enclosure :wink: No, I am doing through hole and no boost circuit. But, I am adding a noise gate..
without boost, my layout may be of use?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

chi_boy
Information

Post by chi_boy »

J0K3RX wrote:

Ah, my mistake! And yes, I have that! The SHO makes a HUUUUUGE difference. The other booster is terrible by comparison. The SHO simply makes it louder. As it should be.