Wampler - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
gnognofasciani
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by gnognofasciani »

Search button is your friend

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

Here's a small vero layout for the boost section if anyone wants it. Should be right.
wamplertriplewreck-boost.gif

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Well there ya go. Notice that Marshall put a 100 ohm resistor in series to protect the op-amp from driving the 100n cap directly, and the 220n/100k before the input of the next stage significantly decreases the loading on the filter.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

Previous layout was missing some values, so here's the final vero layout for the Triple Wreck. It is now verified (by me) and sounding damn nice. Endless thanks to Eisy :applause: :applause: :applause:
wamplertriplewreck-verified.gif

kantul
Information

Post by kantul »

audioguy wrote:
kantul wrote:I'm trying to create a layout based on the above scheme. Has not been verified. Tell me if you see an error there. thank you :)
This layout looks nice. Have you verified it yet?
Hi Audioguy,

Actually, after I checked, I found one the wrong track in my layout. Between C5 and R6. I fix it. I delete the previous image. But I really don't have time to try to build now. maybe next week I will try to build it.
I still hope that if there is someone who can make the layout better. This layout looks too big. I'm not familiar using perf layout.
Here :

https://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90 ... layout.gif
https://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90 ... ewreck.jpg

kantul
Information

Post by kantul »

hewie wrote:Previous layout was missing some values, so here's the final vero layout for the Triple Wreck. It is now verified (by me) and sounding damn nice. Endless thanks to Eisy :applause: :applause: :applause:
wamplertriplewreck-verified.gif
wow, great. This layout looks better.

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

Mainboard with Boost add-on is verified.

Finished product (minus LEDs)

:horsey:

demym
Information

Post by demym »

very good Hewie !

I also did a veroboard layout, but something went wrong (although the electrical path is correct...)... it's about a week i'm working on it; i get big squeals and a very strong background noise...

is your layout pretty silent ?

i do everything on veroboard, and i had great expectations from my layout.. but... seems like i should learn to design them better..

have you also some samples ???

thanks, congratulations once again

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

demym wrote:very good Hewie !

I also did a veroboard layout, but something went wrong (although the electrical path is correct...)... it's about a week i'm working on it; i get big squeals and a very strong background noise...

i do everything on veroboard, and i had great expectations from my layout.. but... seems like i should learn to design them better..

have you also some samples ???

thanks, congratulations once again
there's a ton of gain there... layout is going to be a BIG thing with noise on the TW circuit.

demym
Information

Post by demym »

What a honour, Brian in person ! Do you mean Brian that even you are messing out with noises and squeals ? Incredibile :-)

I've bought your books, found them very useful for a novice !

Admiration, thanks, all the best

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

demym wrote:What a honour, Brian in person ! Do you mean Brian that even you are messing out with noises and squeals ? Incredibile :-)

I've bought your books, found them very useful for a novice !

Admiration, thanks, all the best
Its just gainy circuits in general... layouts can make a difference. We are pretty picky about how we lay things out! There are definite no-no's to adhere to.

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

demym wrote:I also did a veroboard layout, but something went wrong (although the electrical path is correct...)... it's about a week i'm working on it; i get big squeals and a very strong background noise...
No squeals with my layout/build. The layout is pretty quiet, but what veroboard high-gain circuit doesn't have a little noise introduced? Regardless, up until ~2/3 of the gain pot's rotation the effect is quite silent, then the noise starts coming in. The amount of noise is no different from say a Boss DS-1 with full gain. Keep in mind, the Triple Wreck has a LOT of gain available, I don't think I'd ever think of using it past 2/3 as it is. Half way seems to the be the sweet spot for me. With that said, I could definitely dime the gain, crank my amp, and not kill an audience/myself with horrendous noise.

demym
Information

Post by demym »

Good news Hewie, thanks..

Oh, and i just built another one using your vero layout.. didn't play with it yet, need some other pots..

Very clean layout.

Thanks once again, have a nice time

lutor
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa
Completed builds: Catalinbread Hyper pak 2 , B K Butler 2, 3Legged dog, Soldano Supercharger GTO Jfet, MXR Phase 90, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Bartolini NTMB3, Fulltone Bassdrive 2, Gruntbox,MM Stingray Bass preamp,Emma ReezaFratZitz, Jumbo Tonebender, Freya Slo 100 Emulator, Dr. Boogie Emulator, Insanity Box, Fulltone OCD, Fuzz Face Germanium, Fuzz Face Silicium,Crunch Burnig DSM, Ross Compressor, Nurse Quaky, Purple plexi 800, EH Pulsar.

Post by lutor »

Hi hewie,
in your layout there is one problem: the connection of R13 & C14 is not corrected, it, so take a signal from pin 1 of IC3, in the schematic they are connect to pin 2 of IC3.
:wink:

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

lutor wrote:Hi hewie,
in your layout there is one problem: the connection of R13 & C14 is not corrected, it, so take a signal from pin 1 of IC3, in the schematic they are connect to pin 2 of IC3.
:wink:
You are correct! Many thanks for noticing that one. To be honest, I'm not sure what effect that mistake would have on the operation of the pedal, but I plan to find out sometime this weekend :horsey:
If someone has used the previous layout, I suggest removing R13 from the board, and soldering it across the back of the board between J8 and L12 to fix this.

Here's the revised layout, with correction thanks to lutor :thumbsup
REVISED
REVISED

lutor
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa
Completed builds: Catalinbread Hyper pak 2 , B K Butler 2, 3Legged dog, Soldano Supercharger GTO Jfet, MXR Phase 90, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Bartolini NTMB3, Fulltone Bassdrive 2, Gruntbox,MM Stingray Bass preamp,Emma ReezaFratZitz, Jumbo Tonebender, Freya Slo 100 Emulator, Dr. Boogie Emulator, Insanity Box, Fulltone OCD, Fuzz Face Germanium, Fuzz Face Silicium,Crunch Burnig DSM, Ross Compressor, Nurse Quaky, Purple plexi 800, EH Pulsar.

Post by lutor »

I have ended in this moment to construct my T.W. I have used yours layout, and had already made the correction on R13/C14.I did not have in home the JRC4580 and have used NE5532.I had not never felt a high-gain box thus wonderful and without noise.
Thanks! :applause:

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

lutor wrote:I have ended in this moment to construct my T.W. I have used yours layout, and had already made the correction on R13/C14.I did not have in home the JRC4580 and have used NE5532.I had not never felt a high-gain box thus wonderful and without noise.
Thanks! :applause:
It is a surprisingly nice high-gain effect, definitely one of my favourites.

demym
Information

Post by demym »

What effect does have this modification ? I did it with the previous Hewie layout and sounds fine....

thanx have a nice time

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

Anybody interested in my eagle files for this? My own layout, but same schematic as above with a different power scheme. It's not verified yet but I have it all soldered, just waiting for some parts and an enclosure.
I want to build it all.

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

demym wrote:What effect does have this modification ? I did it with the previous Hewie layout and sounds fine....

thanx have a nice time
I ended up doing the correction on my own build, if there is a difference sonically, it's subtle. Regardless, an error is an error :wink: