Wampler - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
imnotgay
Information

Post by imnotgay »

i use rocklander's layout..omit the mid control section and reworked the tonestack..and i got myself an unused opamp half..maybe will use it as a boost..thx a lot rocklander

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Did someone try telling Darksid46 that this is an english-speaking forum? :hmmm:
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Nacho5
Information

Post by Nacho5 »

Hi guys! Does someone made a version with out boost, with PCB no VERO and with size to fix in a 125B enclosure?with all 4580D.

I made madbean version and sounds great but I want to use a 125B enclosure.

Sorry for me English.

Here is my version

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Nacho5 wrote:Hi guys! Does someone made a version with out boost, with PCB no VERO and with size to fix in a 125B enclosure?with all 4580D.

I made madbean version and sounds great but I want to use a 125B enclosure.

Sorry for me English.

Here is my version

not all 8pin op amps, but will this do?

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 60#p166300
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Zakalwe
Information

Post by Zakalwe »

I built ivlark's stripboard layout and it fired up AOK first time.

The boost on it's own sounds pretty bad though. It's got a sort of gated fuzz effect.
Did anyone else experience this?

I've measured the voltages on the 2n5089 and they're :

C : 0.3v
B : 0.75v
E : 0.18v

Is that base voltage being lower than emitter + 0.6v where the gating is coming from? Also, I know that some transistors can work just fine with the collector voltage lower than the base, as long as it's a bit higher than the emitter, but I thought it was a bit strange.

Any ideas anyone?

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Zakalwe wrote:I built ivlark's stripboard layout and it fired up AOK first time.

The boost on it's own sounds pretty bad though. It's got a sort of gated fuzz effect.
Did anyone else experience this?

I've measured the voltages on the 2n5089 and they're :

C : 0.3v
B : 0.75v
E : 0.18v

Is that base voltage being lower than emitter + 0.6v where the gating is coming from? Also, I know that some transistors can work just fine with the collector voltage lower than the base, as long as it's a bit higher than the emitter, but I thought it was a bit strange.

Any ideas anyone?
I haven't done any math on it, but those voltages seem off to me. It seems weird to bias the transistor so close to the supply rail, and I wouldn't think those 0.12V between collector and emitter leaves much room for voltage swing...
---

Zakalwe
Information

Post by Zakalwe »

grrrunge wrote: I haven't done any math on it, but those voltages seem off to me. It seems weird to bias the transistor so close to the supply rail, and I wouldn't think those 0.12V between collector and emitter leaves much room for voltage swing...
In order to rule out that the veroboard layout was an issue, I breadboarded the boost section from Eisy's layout as posted in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10737&start=60#p140274

The voltages are very similar

C: 0.34v
B: 0.71v
E: 0.18v

I used 5% carbon film rather than metal film 1% this time, so that might should account for the minor differences. This is puzzling.

AAntonio
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AAntonio »

tips to have more treble
Many Thanks

ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

hello
i already build this thing bu i have a low volume issue ..how i could fix it ? anybody help?

my clean signal is louder than the fx when its on..what could be the problem in my build..?

thanks for your help or advice anybody here??

secondly i read a thread that the schematic of the triple wreck here is not the same as the original..only brian wampler
know the original schematic..

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

The schematic here is fine. If you've read through the thread, you'll know that Brian is an active member here, and helped us get the schematic right.
I've built three of these, and they all sound awesome.
The low volume issue with your build indicates you've made a build error somewhere. Without proper pictures of top- and trace side of your build, it's impossible for anyone to help you troubleshoot, given the description of your problem.
Now: Go fetch you camera ;)
---

edy_wheazel
Information

Post by edy_wheazel »

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I spend an hour last night wading through this thread, deleting off topic messages, so we are down to a 20-page thread.

Please post your:
debugging questions here
build show-offs here
bullshit here

For people not interested in tracing but only want to build, I set up this section, but's demanding a lot of rewriting:
viewforum.php?f=56

These are closed threads with just building info on the most popular pedals, and the threads that snowballed most out of control
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Alex174
Information

Post by Alex174 »

Hi everybody!!

Here is a layout from effectslayouts.blogpost, I requested this layout several weeks ago and this awesome guy did it so I share it... He will do the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff and the Amptweaker Tight Metal really soon, I sent him the schematics.

Note the Boost Section is on a second board for those who want to build the WTP without it...

Enjoy, builded and verified, awesome layout!!! ;-)

Alex.

PS: you can find a lot of awesome PCBs on this website, each day he share a new project and you can send request for what you would like to build, he's super kind!!! His website link:
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.fr/?m=0
Attachments
WAMPLER Triple Wreck Boost Section PCB
WAMPLER Triple Wreck Boost Section PCB
WAMPLER Triple Wreck PCB
WAMPLER Triple Wreck PCB

ringworm
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ringworm »

Can anyone provide voltages from an original unit, or a clone with the original boost, to assist with debugging?

bamslam69
Information

Post by bamslam69 »

I've got this pedal on the breadboard at the moment. Spent last week wiring it up but got nothing. Damn.
Realised I need to make a decent prototyping board, as it was a complete mess of loose wires and loose pots.
A week later, the triple wreck is functional! However I'm missing one cap in the boost stage. Quick trip down to Jaycar today to finish that off.

I still need to measure voltages too.

Quick question for anyone. I've got a two resistor sizes happening - 1/4W and 1/8W. Would it make much/any difference than if they were the same rating?

FausterCraster
Information

Post by FausterCraster »

hi slam69, what affect most the sound is the caps type. No audible difference in using resistors 1/4 or 1/8 .
..and I wonder if one can hear the difference from metal film or carbon too.. it's just mojo

bamslam69
Information

Post by bamslam69 »

Thanks Fauster,
All soldered - had a few stuffups along the way, but with a bit of luck I'll have it up and running over the Christmas break. (maybe that's a bit hopeful)

bamslam69
Information

Post by bamslam69 »

I noticed a difference between the schematic and Sabrotone's perfboard layout - C28 on the schematic (in the boost section) is a "normal" capacitor, when on the layout it's electrolytic.
Would it matter? I only noticed the difference when I had all the parts mostly soldered. I have the "normal" cap installed as per the schematic.

Finally got it operational last night - boost is a bit "muddy". Next up (after Christmas) is to work on the enclosure design and try etching.... and think of an epic name for it. "The Nightman Cometh" has a good feel to it.

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Hello! I built the Wampler Triple Wreck circuit, without the boost. I'm looking for a good replacement for the original boost, good in front and in the end of the main circuit.
Need suggestion, please.
Thanks! :wink:

bamslam69
Information

Post by bamslam69 »

Mine's been on the test board for months - a big case of procrastination. Plugged it in last night and it sounds epic. just have to scroll through this thread to work out where to put the boost. (pre or post)
Currently getting the design ready to etch the enclosure. Hopefully it turns out.