Lovepedal - Superlead  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Lovepedal - Superlead

Postby MarkF786 » 23 Jan 2012, 22:45

culturejam wrote:
RnFR wrote: it's not really any sort of eq filter or "mid" control, just switchable hard clippers,

On this particular pedal, engaging the silicon diodes basically knocks the bottom out. So it really should be called "Bass cut" or something like that.

But yeah, it's a just a toggle between clipper types. Labeling it like a tone control is a little out of bounds, I think.

I'm really surprised at what a difference switching between the LEDs and silicon diodes makes in this circuit. I own the pedal, and there is a dramatic difference in the sound between the two settings. I really thought there was some tone shaping going on. When I modded my Rat to have switchable clipping (silicon, germanium, and LEDs), it had a very different effect.

I'll have to play more with the two pedals tonight in the different clipping modes; it'll be educational for my ears.
MarkF786

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby culturejam » 23 Jan 2012, 23:51

It's a great little circuit*. I like it so much that I made my own layout and had some prototypes boards made. Then I decided that it would be fun to redo the layout, only this time with a SIP dual op amp. The boards should be here any day now, so I'm pretty jazzed. :thumbsup

Details here:
http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/ ... 41&t=34643

* It's important to reiterate that the circuit is a Guv'nor with a simplified tone control.
culturejam
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 584 times

Postby jymaze » 24 Jan 2012, 14:42

The difference between the 2 clipping modes is very pronounced on the Superlead probably because of the HUGE pre-clipping resistor at 10k. I think it tends to keep the diodes clipping around the "knee" and almost never getting to their linear portion of the curve.
jymaze
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby Seiche » 24 Jan 2012, 19:17

culturejam wrote:Then I decided that it would be fun to redo the layout, only this time with a SIP dual op amp.

I just though about that today. SIP would be great for more compact vero and perf layouts. It only seems to be problem sourcing them. I've only found the NJN4558 in a SIP package from my preferred vendors :scratch:
Seiche
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 212 times

Postby culturejam » 24 Jan 2012, 20:01

I honestly haven't spent a lot of time looking for them. I just grabbed a few from Smallbear about 4 years ago. Been trying to figure out a use for them ever since. And now I have one! :lol:

This looks like a nice alternative, however:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR ... b1H9Ubs%3d
culturejam
Old Solderhand

Postby Seiche » 24 Jan 2012, 20:10

culturejam wrote:I honestly haven't spent a lot of time looking for them. I just grabbed a few from Smallbear about 4 years ago. Been trying to figure out a use for them ever since. And now I have one! :lol:

This looks like a nice alternative, however:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR ... b1H9Ubs%3d

yeah i was thinking "yay no trace cuts on vero!". Also you can make the layout much smaller because this only takes up a row, not 4x4 pads. And you can use the side of the IC to put double sided tape on for mounting the board to the enclosure :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Seiche
Old Solderhand

Postby culturejam » 01 Feb 2012, 03:09

OMG, the inline op amp sounds ...... exactly like the DIP version. :lol:

Inline8-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
culturejam
Old Solderhand

Postby Seiche » 01 Feb 2012, 09:17

culturejam wrote:OMG, the inline op amp sounds ...... exactly like the DIP version. :lol:

you must only have second class silver ears :roll: :blackeye
Seiche
Old Solderhand

Postby mictester » 01 Feb 2012, 09:39

Seiche wrote:
culturejam wrote:OMG, the inline op amp sounds ...... exactly like the DIP version. :lol:

you must only have second class silver ears :roll: :blackeye

You're right - the alignment of the electrons will be entirely different!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 805 times

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...