Paul Cochrane - Timmy  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Hey Paul - you ever tried running the timmy on a bi-polar supply?

I am Klon.

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

briggs wrote:Hey Paul - you ever tried running the timmy on a bi-polar supply?
Yeah - I've messed around alot with that. One thing I was digging into was using a higher voltage/bi-polar supply with the output amp while using a normal 9 vdc supply for the clipping stage. You need separate ops for this, but you can find some cool things by being able to use the "best" opamp at the "best" voltage for it's given job instead of using one op at one voltage for everything.

And before it gets said... this is not an original idea. Just something to dink with.

Later, PaulC
Tim & timmy pedals
Last edited by paulc on 03 Apr 2008, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

paulc wrote:
briggs wrote:Hey Paul - you ever tried running the timmy on a bi-polar supply?
Yeah - I've messed around alot with that. One thing I was digging into was using a higher voltage/bi-polar supply with the output amp while using a normal 9 vdc supply for the clipping stage. You need separate ops for this, but you can find some cool things by being able to use the "best" opamp at the "best" voltage for it's given job instead of using one op at one voltage for everyting.

And before it gets said... this is not an original idea. Just something to dink with.

Later, PaulC
Tim & timmy pedals

its definitely an interesting approach that, though it may not be "new", it certainly gets either "forgotten about" or is not even widely "thought about". Makes total sense though. You could have a super clean, 18v boost / eq section with a 4.5v - 9v clipping section using separate opamps that were chosen specifically for each purpose. A MAX1044 or similar IC would certainly be handy for taking care of the power supply needs.

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

A super clean boost running on 18V is a goos idea, but a lot values have to be adapted to make the booster sound "musical".
I did some tests with common boosters running on 18V, all sounded thin, harsch and real stiff.

My best sounding booster runs on app. 8V, sounds very good. The headroom is OK too the circuit is designed for 3-5dBm max. output level. I go with 47-150k input impedance, this kills some upper highs and there's no need to do this with another cap (more caps - less tone).

JHS

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

eleanor296 wrote:
sch929 wrote:wow, what a long thread.
yeah... in the middle of it I almost felt like being back on TGP...
not a nice feeling.
Glad the clouds cleared though!
And hey, Paul, because of this thread, you might just have a new customer.
:twisted:

~Andy
and then they say were are anti boutique! :wink: :wink:
Great people still read through whole threads! :D
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

kbibs
Information

Post by kbibs »

First, I would like to say a big Thank You to Paul C. for being so gracious with his information and knowledge. It definitely seems to be a bit out of the norm for pedal/amp designers. Secondly, I would also like to say that I just build "one ofs" for fun and learning.

Now to my questions. Is the latest schematic posted here correct? ... could anyone tell me what the taper is for all four pots, i.e. audio, linear etc.?

Thanks,
Ken

kbibs
Information

Post by kbibs »

Can anybody answer my above questions?
Is the latest schematic posted here correct? ... could anyone tell me what the taper is for all four pots, i.e. audio, linear etc.?
thx,
Ken

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

Hi Ken,

The pots are all audio.
thanks for the kind words.

Later, PaulC

railhead
Information

Post by railhead »

When I try to find the "definitive Timmy schematic," I keep getting the YATS thread -- but then I read that that's not the schematic for the Timmy.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

railhead wrote:When I try to find the "definitive Timmy schematic," I keep getting the YATS thread -- but then I read that that's not the schematic for the Timmy.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
:hmmm: You want a pointer in the right direction ? yes ? really ? ok here it is:

READ

first the forum rules:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54

there you will find:
4. Search Function: use it before anything else, your question might already have been answered before.
and:
5. Subject of Post: Don't hesistate to attach similar problems to older threads already discussing the subject, keep the info centralized.
If you would have applied this and used the search function, you would have found this 8-page thread about the Timmy including valuable informations from the designer of the Timmy himself.

Now that you have been pointed to this thread, again:

READ
the complete thread and you will find all the desired informations. If you are too lazy to do that, you are not eligible to obtain the desired schematic.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

kurtlives
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kurtlives »

Too small of a pic...

Looks like you drew something on the schem though.

krome_magnon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by krome_magnon »

a bit of decoding of that thumbnail's URL leads to - https://img383.imageshack.us/img383/664 ... er3wj0.png :D
The noise from the tape deck was only drowned out by the buzz from the wine.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

What has changed from the previous version? I mean, other than the Timmy.

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

AAAArrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!! Take 3:

What has changed from the previous version? I mean, other than the Timmy.
The bass cut pot arrow now points correctly, + some minor cosmetic changes. This one has correct pot taper values too.

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

You need to shop in some ram horns on timmy. "Tim" came from a monty python joke. When i first made it in '97 I didn't plan on actually selling them, so when somebody saw it on my board and asked what it was called I'd juts quote that line from the Holy Grail. Then the name just sort of stuck.

About 5 years ago guys asked for a smaller version. There were lots of posts wanting a "timmy", so that's where the name came from - the small version of TIM. I love south park, but the joke was python.

I do wish somebody would just make a whole new drawing for it when they feel they just have to post it. It's kind of a drag seeing it shown as the "timbre reamer" as if I took it from that circuit...

Later, PaulC

paulc
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by paulc »

madbean wrote:What has changed from the previous version? I mean, other than the Timmy.
The only thing that has changed is I have gone to a pc board, and the mica cap is now a polystyrene.

I am thinking about doing a total reworking of it though. I'm thinking that since I'm always behind on my time ests, and I missed the 10th year anniversary, I was going to call it the 12th year anniversary model :applause:

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I don't remember reading it... How does the 4559 differ from the 4558? If a 4558 was used in this circuit, how much difference would it make?

TheLemon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TheLemon »

Mr. G. wrote:I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I don't remember reading it... How does the 4559 differ from the 4558? If a 4558 was used in this circuit, how much difference would it make?

I briefly swapped out some IC's in the TIM and the 4558 was noticably darker, and a little muddier for my tastes.

blanik
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by blanik »

tonefreak wrote:IMO, you are totally underestimating the importance of your brand. Many more people want a Paul Cochrane built pedal than a clone...
true, i went to a friend's studio (he's the signer, guitarist from Bionic http://www.sound-king.com/bionic/bio/, used to play in Doughboys too in the 80s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughboys_(band)) he produces bands in his spare time and he knows his shit, so i went there cause he wanted to try my Klon copy for a band he was about to record the guitars, his whole collection of vintage amps (supro, hayseed 30, fender, etc...) guitars and pedals (vintage maestro, vex stuff, fulltone, etc...), we tried the Klon against his Tim (first time i've seen one or heard about them) and he ended up using the Tim, he told me nothing ever comes close and he tried about everything! i must admit i thought they both sounded similar in the cranked hayseed... :D

drmathprog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drmathprog »

Before I have a go at designing a vero for the Tim, which I have never done before and which should be educational for me, has anyone already do one?