Paul Cochrane - Timmy  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Igloo
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Igloo »

Ha sorry not a gift but a request...
Anyone taken one to bits?

Also The Fulldrive. I have this but does any one care? I assume everyone is done with this?
I can post if you want.

call1800ksmyazz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by call1800ksmyazz »

Im pretty sure everyone has the fulldrive. Im interested in the Timmy to though.

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

call1800ksmyazz wrote:Im pretty sure everyone has the fulldrive. Im interested in the Timmy to though.
tim or timmy absolutely... it's always very interesting to find what other guys are doing... Me myself, out of all the pedals we've sold, I believe only the phataxx and the new plextortion or based off of existing commonly used circuits...phataxx= tubescreamer with a bunch of mods, plextortion= tweaked guv'nor first version

bw
Last edited by indyguitarist on 08 Nov 2007, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

pf_fan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pf_fan »

That's what I found somewhere (probably at diystompboxes) but not sure if it's about Tim or Timmy

"The pedal is a two stage opamp thing without in/out buffers. The first stage is a non inv diode clipper, and the second stage is a gain boost. The main thing I tried to do with it is to be able to get it as flat and clean as I could while still being able to get a good distortion. so that's why it has the pre/post EQ thing. Let's you set the pre/post bass and treble roll off's depending on your gain levels. Makes it tricky to dial in, but it allows a pretty wide range from clean to crunch. The boost swaps in a pot for the inv resistor on the clipper stage. That's been done to. I don't think of it as two channels - it's more like if the gain pot on 10 isn't enough then turn on the boost and dink with the other resistor that sets the gain."

I have a pic of Timmy inside but can't post it now (not enough posts to add links...)

pf_fan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pf_fan »

Thanks for the tip! Here's the pic of Timmy:
https://img113.imageshack.us/my.php?image=116mk9.jpg

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

EDIT:

Hmm, we could possibly get a rough reverse from that, if we could get an image of the other side of the board :P

I am Klon.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Nothing really exciting: YATSD (yet another tube screamer derivate)

2 x 2 diodes in the feedbak loop. one in every direction is shorted by the dipswitch - here is a manual:

http://askaliceboutique.com/images/Tim_Timmy_Manual.pdf

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Acc. to the pic it looks like a slightly modded AMZ SoS or LP Eternity. (maybe even RC/AC-Booster like) and I agree with Indyguitarist that we don't need anymore (overpriced) TS or SoS clones.

If it's a SoS clone then you can be shure the bass pot circuit is something you can find in the IBZ or BOSS "Metal pedal" schems.

JHS

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

Looks almost like the ROG TS thing....tube reamer?

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

markm wrote:Looks almost like the ROG TS thing....tube reamer?
Close but no cigar :lol:

Something like this from gut-pics (se revised tube remer schemo below).´Experiment with some of the unknown values. If you have suggestions for improvement...be my guest :)

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

schematic seems to be in principle ok except that i only can see one diode in every direction what is been shorted.... in "Timmy´s Rat screamer" :wink:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Igloo
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Igloo »

Welcome Goop Buster.
Nice contribution! And a good name too! :D

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Sam Spade's back and got his hands dirty. Conclusion - don't forget everything is online already :slap:

or a lot..

It seems that the Modded Sans Amp GT2 EQ with midband is the Timmy:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/STMs-Circ ... and?full=1
Paul C on: 01-01-2006, 13:20:06 wrote: This is my timmy pedal - it is not a simple TS work alike.  Also the design was made in 1997 - a bit before the tubereamer if I'm not mistaken.  It does not use a variable bass/gain resistor like stm talked about, nor does it use the second opamp stage for a tone control ciruit.  This is something that helps pay the bills, so I'd rather not see the circuit dissected just yet.  No circuit ideas came from the DIY area, so you don't have to worry about it having any ganked ideas from here. 

PaulC
This is by the way the guy who came up with the Fat Boostered, or at least claims he did

Genealogy of boosters:
Minibooster (Orman) -> Fat Boost (Fulltone) -> Fat Boostered (Paul C)

Re: How many boutique builders got their start here?
« Reply #49 on: 07-07-2006, 08:46:25 »

I got my start from my dad. He was an electronics instructor in the air force. He used to bring me junked radars and things that I would set up to look like Luke Skywalkers X-wing cockpit when I was a kid in the late 70's. He got me started with heathkits, and we built a dynaco ST-70 together. He even had this little plug in headphone preamp for guitar that would distort big time ( he also started me on guitar...).

Do I come here? Sure - it's a nice place for like minded geeks to hang out. But I've also been hanging on the web before ampagewas even up. I went to school for audio eng, and was modding gear in the late 80's. Built my first real tube amp guitar amp from scratch (not modded) in '89, and my first pedal from scratch that time also. I'm now the amp designer for Heritage amps as well as making the tim and timmy pedals that I sell on the side. I don't come here nearly as much as the old days, and I don't post much at all.

I've got two pedals that are doing pretty well that I've been making for almost 10 years now. But you've only seen people talk about them for about 4. Several months ago somebody posted a picture of the insides, and somebody made the comment that it looked like a circuit from here ( that was only about a year old...). It wasn't a copy of anything from here, nor did it use tricks from here at the time I made it. Now I've seen pretty much the same pedal done here, and if my schematic was posted people here would think I stoled it. I could go blue in the face saying how it's so much older, but to some it wouldn't matter...

I have learned alot from guys like R.G. - told him so when I met him at winter NAMM, but my start came from my dad. Alot of the circuits talked about here I saw back in school. The cascaded jfet circuit is something I saw long ago, but I never thought of plugin' my guitar into it until AMZ brought it up. I've also made mosfet gain stages and Jfet preamp based stuff (got that from Randall amps), and I added caps to simulate the miller effect to them several years ago after reading a bit about that on Randal Akins site ( something that came to light here just a few weeks ago).

The point is you can like to hang on these types of boards, and still have a little integrity. Some people do come up with things outside of here - this place is a nice source of inspiration, but what makes a man is what you do with it. Do you start selling 1/2 amps and make it look like your own thing, or do you really try to come up with something unique that doesn't gank to much from here.

Don't be down on the boutique pedal market. It's allowing my wife to stay at home with our baby instead of putting her in daycare... And some of us are really trying to come up with our own things while hanging out here. It's fun to see what others are doing - I just make it a point not to gank that stuff.

PaulC
But doesn't it look like his first question to the board is really about the opamp ovedrive circuit, or am I mistaken.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg121065

and more:
PaulC on: 03-04-2007, 10:09:41 wrote:
If you post something here, someone can use it for their personal gain.

If you don't like that, DONT POST IT. Then we wont cry about it when you take it down.
the other side of this is you shouldn't post ANY schematic or redraw/reverse a circuit and post it or pass it around without permission of the builder/company.  If you don't want somebody using your stuff don't make it easy for them to use other people's stuff.

Later, PaulC
Heritage amps/Tim & Timmy pedals
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

modman wrote:Sam Spade's back and got his hands dirty. Conclusion - don't forget everything is online already :slap:

or a lot..

It seems that the Modded Sans Amp GT2 EQ with midband is the Timmy:
No it´s not. That is just a shot in the dark from STM.
Paul is just commenting the pic in the first post there, not the suggested schematic.
Just look att the internals (components) of that pic and others on the net and you willrecognize that it is not any variant of GT-2 and that my schemo should be about 95% correct.
Buy one to confirm it :wink:

The beauty of this design is in the simlicity, minimum part count and cleaver additions like the pre-distortion bass cut make it such a good improvement of the old TS...respect!

Btw Paul is also highly regarded in the tube amp building community and is a circuit design consultant for tube amp manufacturers like Heritage:
http://www.heritageamplifiers.com/product.html
Igloo wrote:Welcome Goop Buster.
Nice contribution! And a good name too! :D
Last edited by Goop_buster on 23 Jul 2007, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

modman wrote::block:

yeah that was a bit a shot from the hip, overreading the archives, still this is a Timmy gut shot:

https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144 ... ing116.jpg

I stand corrected, thanks Goop!
But does he still make these pedals? I don't find a Timmy homepage.

zj
Hi
I do not know if he still makes them. I hope not :oops: There is no homepage because he sold them direct and the rumour said for a while that the wait time was something like 6 months so no need for advertising :lol: .
Actually I think that they usually sell for more cash used than PaulC wants for them new.

About the similar circuit:
The author "vanessa" at diy stomp suggest tubereamer as a similar circuit and he is not far off....
PaulC responds:
This is my timmy pedal - it is not a simple TS work alike. Also the design was made in 1997 - a bit before the tubereamer if I'm not mistaken

Here is a better pic
http://www.rockinn.co.jp/maniac/a1_p_co ... my_od2.jpg

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Hi guys.

How many OD-circuits can you build with 7 caps, 8 R, 1 IC and 4 pots?
Here are 3 commom designs ......

Timbre-Reamer-1
[img=https://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8684/timbrereamer1rf5.th.jpg]

JHS

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

JHS wrote:Hi guys.

How many OD-circuits can you build with 7 caps, 8 R, 1 IC and 4 pots?
Here are 3 commom designs ......

Timbre-Reamer-1
[img=https://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8684/timbrereamer1rf5.th.jpg]

JHS
:lol:

Yeah but chech this pic also
http://www.rockinn.co.jp/maniac/a1_p_co ... my_od2.jpg

(hint: pads are the same on both sides on that experiment card)

and furthermore internal pics of the larger TIM where there is more space and the wiring is more obvious.

I therefore think that my schemo is pretty close but cannot be 100% sure.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

This is my timmy pedal - it is not a simple TS work alike. Also the design was made in 1997 - a bit before the tubereamer if I'm not mistaken
Hmmm....the MXR Distortion+ (with gain dependent frequency response) was there in 1974. The Fat screamer article from plate to plate I personally saved in 2000. This time I even didn´t know about the existence of any Tim, Timmy or Tina. I only knew about: "Chim chiminey, chim chimeney, chim chim cheree...." (Mary Poppins)

The Ibanez SuperTube with pre-distortion filtering was out in the late 80´s.

The Rat-tonecontrol was used (in pedals) since 1976. So where can I find the ingenuity ? I think this is more another case for my Boutique Pedal Designer :wink:

analogguru

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

So the japanese photo seems to be an older version because 2M2 pulldown resistor is mounted offboard and the diode configuration is different. In the japanese picture version there is not a diode shortcutted by the switch instead there are 2 diodes always in series and with the switch a single diode is paralled to "turn off" the effect of the series conected diodes. The rest seems to be the same.

analogguru