Paul Cochrane - Timmy  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Thanks vot!

Is your layout verified? Is it the standard timmy or timmy with feedback?

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Ohh and also, what is the correct orientation of the electro's?

Thanks

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

LooseCannon wrote:Ohh and also, what is the correct orientation of the electro's?

Thanks
Grey side is negative.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Thanks ckyvick, also figured it out by looking at the schematic.

One more question- D7 doesn't appear in the layout, is that on purpose? Should I add it from C7's positive leg to ground?

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

it's a polarity protection diode, you can leave it in or take it out, it will work the same either way.

vot
Information

Post by vot »

Hello LC!
D7 can be soldered directly on DC jack with right orientation.
Solder pads for feedback switch aren'ted on the board.
I haven't had time check it up, do it!
VOT.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Thanks guys!

Almost finished... One last question- are the pots shown from the back?

vot
Information

Post by vot »

Yep.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Your layout is officially verified :)
Thanks!

Sounds pretty damn good, gonna give it a bit more testing time later and compare it with my zendrive and eternity builds.

vot
Information

Post by vot »

Thank you.
:lol:

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

So there seems to be something wrong with my build- the treble knob adds gain when turned counter-clockwise, and turning it clockwise actually reduces treble, and if i'm not mistaken it should be the other way around?

Any ideas what's wrong? I didn't include the R10 feedback resistor in my build, could this be related?

Thanks!

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

LooseCannon wrote:the treble knob adds gain when turned counter-clockwise, and turning it clockwise actually reduces treble, and if i'm not mistaken it should be the other way around?
that's the way the original Timmy works, it's different from a regular tone control. it's got a treble and bass cut. so when you use it as a clean booster (no gain/dirt) you have T and B on full (fully counterclockwise) and as you turn up the gain knob you turn up the treble and bass as well. I think Paul said "don't be afraid to turn them up all the way" when you use alot of gain.

you can of course switch the leads on the pots to make it more like a conventional control.

quarara
Information
Completed builds: microamp, ts808, big muff, small clone, tremulus lune, ross phaser, ad3208, foxx tone machine, a/da flanger, crackle not okay, ocd.

Post by quarara »

LooseCannon wrote:turning it clockwise actually reduces treble, and if i'm not mistaken it should be the other way around?
No, the unit is supposed to work that way.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

Thanks guys.

I know about the treble cut feature, but shouldn't it have full treble when turned all the way clockwise like the bass knob? It works opposite from the bass knob that's why I was thinking something's wrong.

So the treble knob is supposed to control the gain as well? That's a pretty weird feature, how do I wire it to work like a standard treble knob?

Thanks

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

LooseCannon wrote:Thanks guys.

I know about the treble cut feature, but shouldn't it have full treble when turned all the way clockwise like the bass knob? It works opposite from the bass knob that's why I was thinking something's wrong.

So the treble knob is supposed to control the gain as well? That's a pretty weird feature, how do I wire it to work like a standard treble knob?

Thanks
BOTH the bass and treble should cut as they are turned up. So as you turn the bass clockwise, it should cut bass. Same with treble. It's done that way in part so that you can start as a flat booster and cut treble or bass as needed. The bass control interacts directly with the gain because it is pre-clipping, the more bass you feed the more clipping, so the controls are interactive.

LooseCannon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by LooseCannon »

OK so the bass knob is the culprit, it works opposite of the treble knob and adds bass as it turns clockwise, I guess I wired something wrong?

Did you mean the treble knob interacts directly with the gain? Looking at the schematic it connects directly to the diodes so I assume that's why.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

I was using the bass as an example, both tone controls interact with the gain. For the bass knob, just swap the outer lug wires and it will function as the original Timmy does.

iltamyrsky
Information

Post by iltamyrsky »

..Building one and having trouble finding proper size 39nF capacitor from any shop in Finland I can think of.( yeah I found one awfully big 400v-r15 but it's hard to fit in vero). Anyone have an idea for substitute capacitor? maybe 33nf s.mica (these I seem to have) how would it affect the sound? I will test it yep, but in theory how big an effect would it have on sound?
thanks.

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

iltamyrsky wrote:..Building one and having trouble finding proper size 39nF capacitor from any shop in Finland I can think of.( yeah I found one awfully big 400v-r15 but it's hard to fit in vero). Anyone have an idea for substitute capacitor? maybe 33nf s.mica (these I seem to have) how would it affect the sound? I will test it yep, but in theory how big an effect would it have on sound?
thanks.
33nF will work just fine without significant change in tone. :thumbsup

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

Or 33nF in parallel with 4.7nF... It would be quite close.