Paul Cochrane - Timmy  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
kabi
Information

Post by kabi »

hi all, ready to build this using Rocky's layout

Can someone point out to me the orientation of the DIP switch? I'll try to squeeze one in there but i can't seem to decide which way it should be mounted

Switch in question is this:
http://www.banzaimusic.com/DIP-02-Switch.html

Also am i right to assume that it can be replaced with a simple DPDT toggle switch? In which case i'll be using rows 1 and 3

thanks in advance

tiagojoy
Information
my favorite amplifier: fender

Post by tiagojoy »

my timmy - Patriots Drive!!!

:mrgreen: ]

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

I just want to say I built a Timmy clone some ago. It was so beautiful I decided to have an original one.

Now I have it, and I have to say it's top quality, worth the price and way more.

Cochrane is undoubtedly one of the best builder around.

Thank you Paul.

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

nooneknows wrote:I just want to say I built a Timmy clone some ago. It was so beautiful I decided to have an original one.

Now I have it, and I have to say it's top quality, worth the price and way more.

Cochrane is undoubtedly one of the best builder around.

Thank you Paul.
Good choice! :thumbsup

kabi
Information

Post by kabi »

ok here's mine, built using Rocky's layout (totally verified by the way)

May i just say how extraordinary this little overdrive is. I had a Tubescreamer clone with all the popular mods on my pedalboard before but the Timmy just kicks the shit out of it. Paul: thank you, Sir

You may notice that i had to improvise for the silver mica cap and the DIP switch to fit properly, but it all worked out eventually. Regarding the IC, I tested both the 4559 and LM1458 and ended up keeping the latter one, which sounded more transparent to my ears.

Space management also worked a charm, to my surprise. Guess i'm getting better at this :)

Image Image

Image Image

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

Damn that's tiny as fuck. You guys are good.

fretzburner
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fretzburner »

My take on TIM on a 1590B enclosure
online photo sharing
Toggle is on-on-on for the 3 clipping options

Fenderbender7
Information

Post by Fenderbender7 »

I've been looking at Timmy schematics and I keep seeing connections to "vref" what is this referring to? 9vdc? Ground?

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

It's the reference used by the opamp, the junction of a voltage divider between supply and ground which gives you around half the supply voltage.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Fenderbender7
Information

Post by Fenderbender7 »

So the physical solder connection for everywhere that it says vref would need to be where exactly?

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

What layout are you using? Everything marked vref needs connecting to the same point (or rail or whatever) where the 8K2 resistor to supply and 10K resistor to ground meet.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Fenderbender7
Information

Post by Fenderbender7 »

http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.com/2008 ... e.html?m=1

This is what I have been looking at

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

If you're using the vero layout on there, the vref row is second from bottom, but you don't even need to think about that, all the required connections are made on the layout.

Fenderbender7
Information

Post by Fenderbender7 »

I'll be using perf board so do i just connect all the vref points to one another? :hmmm:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yes.

Just as when a schematic shows points for grounds, or +9v, they all need to be connected to the appropriate point. Vref is usually 1/2 supply voltage, often derived from a voltage divider with two equal value resistors, e.g. 10k from ground to vref, 10k from vref to + 9v, giving 4.5v at vref. In the timmy, the vref is offset by using a 10k from ground to vref, but a 8k2 from vref to +9v, producing 5v.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I made a tiny layout for the timmy, and the bloody huge 1uF box caps won't fit! I've got some tiny 1uF electros that I'm going to put in, but I just wanted to check the preferred orientation of the bass control cap (I am certain the output cap should be negative to output). I came across this exchange on the excellent tagboardfx website:
I'm working on building this one right now. I only have radial electrolytic caps in the 1uF value. Could anyone tell me how to arrange the polarities on the cap to put them in place of the two non polar 1uF's in the layout?
Mirosol's reply:
Minus to Volume 3 and minus to Bass 2&3. Or that's how i percieve it :) (Volume 3 is at output cap, so dc stays on the circuit side, Bass 2&3 connects to vref through that 1µ, so vref must be the plus side...)
I don't mean to question mirosol's advice (it makes sense to me), but his equivocation made me want to check. I suppose I should just breadboard it and measure the voltage but if anyone could just confirm positive to vref and negative to inverting input via the bass pot, that would be great.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Nocentelli wrote:I made a tiny layout for the timmy, and the bloody huge 1uF box caps won't fit! I've got some tiny 1uF electros that I'm going to put in, but I just wanted to check the preferred orientation of the bass control cap (I am certain the output cap should be negative to output). I came across this exchange on the excellent tagboardfx website:
monolithic multilayer ftw :thumbsup

world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

In Timmy v2 1uF film cap is replaced with electro 2.2uf I think. Based on this gut shot (maybe someone will have better ones) looks like minus goes to 3k3 resistor.
Attachments
timmy05.jpg
timmy05.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 3454 times

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

beedotman wrote:In Timmy v2 1uF film cap is replaced with electro 2.2uf I think. Based on this gut shot (maybe someone will have better ones) looks like minus goes to 3k3 resistor.
Dammit, i've soldered the swine in now....

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

No, hang on, that means I've done it right: I assume the wiring goes vref->bass pot->cap positive->cap neg to 3k3, whereas the schem show the cap from vref. Should make no odds. Should stop talking to myself.