Okko - Diablo Boost+ (goop pics!!)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Chewbacca
Information
my favorite amplifier: Madamp A15Mk2 TSX Modded

Post by Chewbacca »

neb wrote:How is the sound difference between 9V and 18V? I am wondering if I should run it at 18V all the time and drop the switch.
Run it at 18V. Once I switched mine to 18V I never switched back. 9V is only worth it if you have exceptionally good J201s.

Chewbacca
Information
my favorite amplifier: Madamp A15Mk2 TSX Modded

Post by Chewbacca »

ozzy666 wrote:Did anyone try this polish copy of the Diablo?
http://www.efekty-diy.pl/diablo.html
I actually have managed to build the pedal just from copying the pictures of pcb on their web site and from reading their BOM.
It worked perfectly! Highly recommended :-)
I've had some of the Polish kits in for Repairs. The Kits are actually pretty good and unlike the real Diablo they still use the active booster - which is pretty good as a booster by itself.
Problems mostly come with the J201 - the remaining J201s on the market are often rip-offs and do not work well. So make sure to get some good J201s or at least a whole bunch of them so you can cinderella out the bad ones.
Other problems with the Polish kit often come with the 7660. They often unexpectedly die or they produce a HF whine. Use 1044 or 1054 - they are much sturdier and less noisy.

neb
Information

Post by neb »

Chewbacca wrote:
ozzy666 wrote:Did anyone try this polish copy of the Diablo?
http://www.efekty-diy.pl/diablo.html
I actually have managed to build the pedal just from copying the pictures of pcb on their web site and from reading their BOM.
It worked perfectly! Highly recommended :-)
I've had some of the Polish kits in for Repairs. The Kits are actually pretty good and unlike the real Diablo they still use the active booster - which is pretty good as a booster by itself.
Problems mostly come with the J201 - the remaining J201s on the market are often rip-offs and do not work well. So make sure to get some good J201s or at least a whole bunch of them so you can cinderella out the bad ones.
Other problems with the Polish kit often come with the 7660. They often unexpectedly die or they produce a HF whine. Use 1044 or 1054 - they are much sturdier and less noisy.
I ordered mine directly from onsemi, smd SOT23 variant. TO92 is not in production any more afaik. I will also use LMC7660 from TI.

jalmonsalmon
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jalmonsalmon »

Here is an OSH Park shared for this pedal
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/qqjus0RA
Should work fine!
Attachments
3fd724008d27bbbbf7078dbbc3e9b2f7.png

vvv
Information

Post by vvv »

neb wrote:How is the sound difference between 9V and 18V? I am wondering if I should run it at 18V all the time and drop the switch.
I like this pedal more at 9V. Unlike like some Catalinbread pedals this one is not at it´s best with any "extra tightness" that 18V gives. I recommend to include the switch or try running with adjustable power supply so you can try something in the middle too, like 12V.

neb
Information

Post by neb »

Here's the final board, 6x4cm.
2017-08-16_115537.png

strat100
Information

Post by strat100 »

Came across this on ebay with no goop.
s-l1600.jpg