Okko - Diablo Boost+ (goop pics!!)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
chriscustom
Information

Post by chriscustom »

What transistors are applied in the original Diablo+? Who knows?

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

The newer D. has the charge pump circuit, the older didn't and the same with more drive feature. Any CP circuit (from the Centaur or other FX) can be added in front of the BIAS devider. I would drop the more drive circuit, IMHO there's no need for it and for me it's overkill in this circuit. Catelinbread's D-secret has a very similar layout and I think some features from the D. could be added to soup it up a bit.

JHS

flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

only slightly OT - has anyone tried running the BSIABII off 18V? what's it like?

i suppose it could be done with only an adjustment to the trimpot...
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

Ed G.
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ed G. »

I've run it off 18v. It becomes really gainy. Lots louder too. I've come up with an 18v design but I've had to revoice it and restructure the gain.

chriscustom
Information

Post by chriscustom »

Ed G. What transistors applied in Diablo+?

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Ed G. wrote:I've run it off 18v. It becomes really gainy. Lots louder too. I've come up with an 18v design but I've had to revoice it and restructure the gain.
I have plugged 12-18 voltage to number of pedals and It was always less gainy with stronger bass response. But I guess It's personal impresion :roll:

I'm working on BSIAB2 with charge pump up to 18vdc with active EQ section borrowed from Xotics + switchable AMZ MiniBooster on front of it right now. It's my learning process (and contribution finally ;) ), that will take ages as I'm sucks + I have take alot of hours in my abmulance station as I'm buying a house. I hope it will be kickass

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg V4!!!!

Post by Liquids »

Ed G. wrote:I've run it off 18v. It becomes really gainy. Lots louder too. I've come up with an 18v design but I've had to revoice it and restructure the gain.
sinner wrote: I have plugged 12-18 voltage to number of pedals and It was always less gainy with stronger bass response. But I guess It's personal impresion :roll:

I'm working on BSIAB2 with charge pump up to 18vdc with active EQ section borrowed from Xotics + switchable AMZ MiniBooster on front of it right now. It's my learning process (and contribution finally ;) ), that will take ages as I'm sucks + I have take alot of hours in my abmulance station as I'm buying a house. I hope it will be kickass

Ed's findings confirm my findings too. I think the difference is that with op amps based circuits, more voltage means more headroom...

I've been messing with Mini-Boost based circuits at higher voltage, and my theory for why it's gainier (yet also a bit more dynamic and 'alive' feeling) is that, since it's not using diode clipping...the added voltage yields more volume...which means the first stage slams the next harder...so, hence more gain.

I've also been messing with the Xotic active tone control circuit...which is right from the Boss Fa-1, far as I can tell. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I like it for more than novelty. I find using 47n or 100n caps are more useful to control the lowest frequencies, while the 33n control a bit more 'mud' frequencies. I also liked making the treble caps smaller like 2.2n over 4.7n to control just the highest frequencies - personal preference. That being said, check the LM833 datasheet--I haven't compared them yet, but the active EQ they detail has a different arrangement for the treble part of the EQ, and might be worth comparing.

Ed G.
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ed G. »

"Gain" is short for "voltage gain." So, if you increase voltage to a gain device, you increase gain. Problem is, people use "gain" and "distortion" or "drive" interchangeably. I can see how that happens in circuits that are designed to distort. Increase gain, you increase distortion or drive. But that's not always the case, especially with opamp devices.
By increasing voltage to the bsiab you can do away with J201's, which I find usually dark and mushy. In fact, going to mpf102s for Q1-Q4 and 2n5457 for Q5 yields plenty sustain and drive. I find it becomes more touch-sensitive and dynamic, more open sounding. You hear the string underneath, that old school british marshall kerrang sound.. I've experimented with this in re-voicing the circuit and I'm working with Chad Matthews of cmatmods to release a commercial version. The pedal will have a charge pump. I've tried all kinds of tone controls but keep going back to the BSIAB2 values (which, btw, I understand are used in at least a couple big-name commercial pedals).

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Has anyone created a pcb transfer? Or found out what Jfets are being used in this?

checco1280
Information

Post by checco1280 »

I hope this layout drawn by me can help you!!! :thumbsup
Attachments
layoutdiablo.jpg
masterdiablo3.rar
(769.53 KiB) Downloaded 902 times

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Here are the Eagle files. This layout is a little different.
Attachments
Okko.zip
(49.24 KiB) Downloaded 1323 times

fosnal1950
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fosnal1950 »

What Eagle software did you do it with ? I can't open it.
Just downloaded the most recent Eagle version and get the message : this not a valid schem !

What could be wrong ?

Alf

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Opened fine for me in Eagle 5.6

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

I am using 5.6.0.

fosnal1950
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fosnal1950 »

Sorry guys, I was being very foolish !

Tried to open in with express !

It works perfectly with eagle 5.6 .

do you use the freeware version ?

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Yes, I use the freeware version. I use Gaussmarkov library, and the hobby .dru pcb rules file.

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

chriscustom wrote:
soulsonic wrote:Bumping this to attach the schematic. I don't remember who traced this one or where I found it... I think I found it at Das Musikding... maybe Kusi traced it?
Anyway, I hope it is okay with the author to post this here.
:D

OKKO_Diablo+.pdf - LEVEL 10kk??? It is an error? Can should be 100k?

+1

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

hi... what is the purpose of the r21? the 100e on the power section.

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

anyone knows how to increase the gain of this bad boy?

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

checco1280 wrote:I hope this layout drawn by me can help you!!! :thumbsup
is this verified?
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis