Okko - Diablo Boost+ (goop pics!!)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Bud89
Information

Post by Bud89 »

grrrunge wrote:Here's a little picture of my Diablo before it goes in a box:
17112011332.JPG

hi,

is it working? because your lugs are reversed, if i'm right its 1,2,3 from right to left when you look at the back of the pot !

i just finished Harald veroboard diablo, no needs of a boost stage i have already a MXR!

bypass works great, but when i switch on diablo, got no signal , input seems "dead" , all Q's have been checked ok with supply!

would be great to have some help . :roll:

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Bud89 wrote:
grrrunge wrote:Here's a little picture of my Diablo before it goes in a box:
17112011332.JPG

hi,

is it working? because your lugs are reversed, if i'm right its 1,2,3 from right to left when you look at the back of the pot !

i just finished Harald veroboard diablo, no needs of a boost stage i have already a MXR!

bypass works great, but when i switch on diablo, got no signal , input seems "dead" , all Q's have been checked ok with supply!

would be great to have some help . :roll:
Yes, it's working nicely. I may have had some of the pots reversed on the pic, but i've boxed it up since, and fixed any reverse action pots while shortening the wires as much as possible.
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

thn.technik
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney
Completed builds: Shred master, Tube screamer, Reezafratzitz, SansAmp GT2, RAT, Okko Diablo, Metal Simplex...

Post by thn.technik »

Hi,

I have some tips for commissioning OKKO with other FET transistor than J201,
I use J113 Fet and 2SK30A, for correct working I replace 100 ohm resistor with 1K trimer
after getting correct sound I measure resistance and now is 800 ohm
Attachments
Okko_mod.jpg

underwood
Information
Completed builds: Whammy 4 MIDI-Controller, Super Hard On, Wholly Mammuth, Fuzz Factory, Machine, Ampeg Scrambler, Big Muff, Soda Meisner, Vintage Fuzz Master, Warhorse, AMZ Mini-Booster, AMZ Mosfet Booster, Katana Boost, Stratoblaster

Post by underwood »

mfgobbi wrote:I have a Twinsonic which is a nice tube amp like distortion/boost... anyone knows what is the difference between the diablo and the twinsonic??.
I love the booster of the TwinSonic. Anyone knows if it uses the same booster as the Diablo Boost+?

thn.technik
Information
Completed builds: Shred master, Tube screamer, Reezafratzitz, SansAmp GT2, RAT, Okko Diablo, Metal Simplex...

Post by thn.technik »

Hi,

I have some interesting mod for OKKO,
it's sequence change for booster and fx, its change from mid gain to hi gain pedal
by adding one 3dp switch you can choose sequence for signal:

1 normal - from fx to booster
2 new - from booster to fx

enjoy :D
Attachments
Okko_THN_sequence.JPG
Okko_THN_sequence.JPG (31.76 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

thn.technik
Information

Post by thn.technik »

Hi,

one more small improve - to make lower high frequency noise you can put additional capacitor 150pF on the gate Q3
Attachments
Okko_mod1.JPG

Throbb7
Information

Post by Throbb7 »

Hello everyone. Nice thread. Cool mods to BSIAB, but it appears that the Mu amps have a 1k resistor in them to become SRPP, but the caps C4 and C8 should connect below the resistor, not above. Am I missing something?

Here is the link to the original SRPP article dated 7.7.01. http://www.geofex.com/ :wink:

thn.technik
Information

Post by thn.technik »

Throbb7 wrote:Hello everyone. Nice thread. Cool mods to BSIAB, but it appears that the Mu amps have a 1k resistor in them to become SRPP, but the caps C4 and C8 should connect below the resistor, not above. Am I missing something?

Here is the link to the original SRPP article dated 7.7.01. http://www.geofex.com/ :wink:
In original Okko layout (we talking here about Okko diablo gain+) this cap is connected between gate and source,
for SRPP and BSIAB, source of Q2 (lower transistor) is more-less grounded and if you will add resistor 1k between higher and lower transistor then the gain will be more increase

here gain is more-less the same but the shape of clipping is different and also the sound is different, so up to you 8)
Attachments
OkkoSRPP.JPG

Bud89
Information

Post by Bud89 »

hi,

diablo is ok now , but when you get 1v input it can only manage at best 200mv output ,

is there a problem? or this pedal (without boost) need a opa on output stage to up the level?

thx alot

Throbb7
Information

Post by Throbb7 »

Thanks for the pic of the wave form. Looks more symmetrical in the second version. May have to have one of each in the distortion. I'll have to listen to it.

While we are discussing it, wouldn't connecting the source of the bottom Jfet to ground as in the Catlinbread Formula 5 cause asymmetry? ;)

Bud89
Information

Post by Bud89 »

Hi,

as okko boost stage doesn't work properly, i just build a mxr microamp to up the output, it works perfect ..

regards

fretzburner
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fretzburner »

Boost part is working okay with my build.Nothing's wrong with it.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Bud89 wrote:Hi,

as okko boost stage doesn't work properly, i just build a mxr microamp to up the output, it works perfect ..

regards
fretzburner wrote:Boost part is working okay with my build.Nothing's wrong with it.
Mine works like a charm too...
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

thn.technik
Information

Post by thn.technik »

Bud89 wrote:Hi,

regards
Did you adjust gain trimer?
Attachments
+.jpg
+.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 4488 times

Bud89
Information

Post by Bud89 »

yep, as i said "doesn't work" i mean doesn't sound good for me,

in fact i unplugged the level of the main board swapping with the 500k of the mxr, this make output straight to feed the microamp, and it sounds better to my ears with thr burr brown 134, smoother and more hifi !

as the feed works like a "input level " like, 2 pots level stage on this stompbox are enough, my humble musician opinion..

thx alot!

theleftfoot
Information

Post by theleftfoot »

hey guys...quick question...are the pcb showed in this post all verified?

thanks raffa

abakuzam
Information

Post by abakuzam »

checco1280 wrote:I hope this layout drawn by me can help you!!! :thumbsup
i built this yesterday, but it doesnt work, i checked the layout it is correct. BUt it doesnt work,maybe my fets are broke?

rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

My Belcebú.

artaommahe
Information

Post by artaommahe »

hm.. i think there is one strange thing around Q5
Here we don't have a bias point at Uref and lower half wave has hard cut after this follower. I mean that after Tone pot usually there will be capacitor(~22n) and 1M resistor to Uref(not ground).

Is it original feature?

artaommahe
Information

Post by artaommahe »

Oh.. it's my mistake, there is bias point from q3-q4 cascade.