Page 4 of 6

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 00:22
by hbo
Pruttelherrie wrote:
hbo wrote:I've updated the vero layout above, and here's an updated schematic as well.

Harold, are you willing to share the eagle schematic so I can have a try at designing a PCB? (Not having to draw the schematic myself saves me some time and averts possible errors!)

Iwan


Here you are. I didn't draw it with the intention of it ever being made into a PCB so let's hope I picked reasonable components packages.

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 00:23
by Nocentelli
Great news it's verified - Harald, you're a champ!

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 12:23
by Pruttelherrie
hbo wrote:Here you are. I didn't draw it with the intention of it ever being made into a PCB so let's hope I picked reasonable components packages.

Thanks!

I'll have a go at this over the weekend.

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 22:56
by Pruttelherrie
Ok, here's a quicky. It can probably be optimized a bit here and there. It has 2 bridges and needs compact components! (box film caps, small electrolytics). But it will easily fit in a 1590B. The 500K log volume pot is off-board.

Eagle files attached.

Unfortunately, I can't test it yet: first of all I have no printer at home and second of all I'm waiting for the XR2206 as well :roll:

components.png


board.png

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 19:18
by Pruttelherrie
Hmkay, made the PCB, found out that the pads are kinda smallish (forgot about Restring *again*... happens to me all the time :(), did a bigger Restring on the pads and a bit less Clearance. V 1.1 attached.

Also, the XR2206 was delivered, yay!

[edit] aaargh, can't attach anything anymore?!?!

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 19:27
by Pruttelherrie
Pruttelherrie wrote:[edit] aaargh, can't attach anything anymore?!?!



Hmpf, after pressing 'Add the file' I get presented a blank page...
For now, find the 1200dpi in my dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/heskam ... d_v1.1.png

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2012, 21:25
by Pruttelherrie
Ok, PCB above is verified, works as advertised. Yay!

Thanks again to Harald, KindaFuzzy and all the others above!

And I'm open to any suggestions and tips to improve my routing skills...

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 22:02
by Mich P
Hi Pruttelherrie !
Thanks for the pcb
I just notice this on v1.1 :
Mich P.

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 23:51
by roseblood11
I just finished my built, based on the vero layout. I'm not 100% sure if it really sounds like the original...
The pedal adds a lot of treble (compared to the bypass sound), at least during one half of the sweep.
Because of that, background noise is amplified as well.

I only made minor changes, because I didn't have all the parts:
-used a 9V power supply only and replaced the 78L09 with a jumper
-250p instead of 270p
-4n7 instead of 5n
-2n2 instead of 2n

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 11:20
by briggs
roseblood11 wrote:I just finished my built, based on the vero layout. I'm not 100% sure if it really sounds like the original...
The pedal adds a lot of treble (compared to the bypass sound), at least during one half of the sweep.
Because of that, background noise is amplified as well.

I only made minor changes, because I didn't have all the parts:
-used a 9V power supply only and replaced the 78L09 with a jumper
-250p instead of 270p
-4n7 instead of 5n
-2n2 instead of 2n


Having a non-regulated power supply could add noise, the rest of the parts subs should be fine. The way this pedal works is by sweeping between a treble biased boost and a bass biased boost, you'll notice an increase in treble as it sweeps up that section. I haven't built this one though so I can't comment too much! Hope you get it sorted..

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 19:17
by Jarno
amazing that they used a 2206 in this circuit, there are a lot of waveforms you can make with that ic. built two modular synth vco' s with it. especially the skew is intersting. look for thomas henry 2206 vco.

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 13:47
by Pruttelherrie
Mich P wrote:Hi Pruttelherrie !
Thanks for the pcb
I just notice this on v1.1 :
Mich P.

OUCH!

You're completely right.

I updated it to v1.2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17081629/heskam ... d_v1.2.png

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 15:58
by gigelmargel
I've just finished one, but I am disappointed about it...it distorts a little, it's too trebly and it's too boring...in their videoclip sounds much better... :)
I made some little mods on the LFO part, as I found in the XR2206 datasheet: a pot for simmetry, a switch for triangle/sine/square waveshape...

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 19:07
by roseblood11
I think it's too trebly on one side of th swep and too bass-heavy on the other. I wasn't expecting that from the soundclips.

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 20:34
by gigelmargel
roseblood11 wrote:I think it's too trebly on one side of th swep and too bass-heavy on the other. I wasn't expecting that from the soundclips.


You're right, roseblood11...maybe someone with more knowledge in electronics can tweak the input caps/filters to sound better...maybe sometime I will try to put 2 separates LFOs, one for each side :)

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 21:32
by roseblood11
the question between the lines was: is the schematic really 100% correct?

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 22:31
by gigelmargel
roseblood11 wrote:the question between the lines was: is the schematic really 100% correct?


I have no ideea if it's correct or not...but I've listened to more demos on youtube and it seems to me to be a "love or hate" pedal...and my play is enough poor to not emphasizes it :)

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 23:29
by roseblood11
I use a little Fender amp, similar to the princeton in catalinbreads video. And the pedal simply doesn't work with that amp. The treble side of the sweep makes my ears hurt and the bass side distorts the amp even if it's set to a totally clean sound.

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 01:12
by gigelmargel
roseblood11 wrote:I use a little Fender amp, similar to the princeton in catalinbreads video. And the pedal simply doesn't work with that amp. The treble side of the sweep makes my ears hurt and the bass side distorts the amp even if it's set to a totally clean sound.


I have a Vox AC15 and I had the same problem as you :)
Maybe the MU-amps have too much gain (I have an Ibanez RG370)...I used 2N5457 and 2N5484...

Re: Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Mesmerizer

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 23:40
by coldcraft
how about a full-stereo Pareidolia with a Ramp Function?

I've got it on the drawing board. The idea is to have 2 pareidolias sync'd to the LFO but 180 out of phase (treble is up on the left while down on the Right).