D*A*M - Sonic Titan ( DAM )  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

from recent twiddlings... one thing you might try is increasing the value of the volume pot?

In a Distortion+ I built, it had a 10K pot (like the sonic titan). I put in a 500K pot in its place and was given a much darker sound with more bass

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

I made one of these recently and did the following mods:

- Volume knob upped to 100KA - makes the tone pot more effective (too bright stock I think), and reduces the perceived gain boost at higher settings
- Add 100 ohm + 47nF series combination from pin 5 to ground to improve decay quality from LM386
- Add 68nF in parallel with input cap to power-amp as a bass boost for some settings.

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

I hope to find the time to breadboard this circuit soon(ish), and it seems from what Mike and others say (here and at DIYSB, PRR's informative post: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=84410.0 ) that the capacitor/resistor compensation network found in the 386 datasheet is required to help with the issue of note decay. The circuit appears to have a good chance of having an issue otherwise:

I once read on the DAM website somewhere Mr Main's explanation of how he came up with the circuit - he said he lifted the 386 amp straight from the datasheet... although the lack of the compensation network might suggest he took it from the ROG Big Daddy or Grace circuits (I'm guessing these predate the Titan?).

However, I was wondering if you add the compensation network will this affect the tone control added by Mr Main to the end of the 386 amp? (Could this be the reason why the network is not part of the DAM circuit?).

I need to find the time to test things out on a breadboard I know, I know :blackeye
Yet to break through the Space Charge

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

I built the Sonic Titan from Mark's wonderful layout. All I did to increase the low end welly was increase the size of some of the electros - so the two on the left are now 10uF, as is the one on the top pins of the IC. The one on the level pot is 22uF. It has way more substance to it now.

FWIW I am not expert or tech. I know very little about electronics. But I love how this pedal sounds now.