Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby greigoroth » 08 Feb 2012, 16:36

Never heard of this brand or pedal but there is a really nice clip at Jet City music. JFET fuzz. Kinda Zippy-ish fuzz. Sounds nice!

Link
.

Here is a description from the website:
Most guitar players either love or hate fuzz pedals. Here at Resonant we had mixed feelings. We love the classic tones of Fuzz Faces and other early fuzz designs, but most of them are prone to splatty, overly-compressed sounds when set to anything but the optimal settings. Modern fuzzes can do some amazing tricks and can produce some unique tones, but often they are one-trick-ponies relagated to the bridge of one song, or random use during late-night jams.

We wanted to design a fuzz pedal that could do it all and never sound out-of-control or unusable. The task was to create a circuit that could produce vintage fuzz style tones, explosion-esque modern fuzz style tones, and everything in between - all without ever getting overly noisy or misbehaving. It took some serious tinkering and an entirely new approach to fuzz circuits, but we did it. This thing will roar, scream, and sing - all at the turn of a knob, and it will never let you down by being unpredictable or unusable.

Just like all of our Field Effects pedals, the Acceleron Fuzz uses a discrete Class A topology and is built with audiophile grade components. This is the fuzz that will replace a pedal board full of other fuzz pedals.


Here's a screenshot from the youtube video above
acceleron_smaller.jpg


Not much to go on, but yeah...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author greigoroth has received thanks:
culturejam (08 Feb 2012, 16:53)
User avatar
greigoroth
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 09 Dec 2010, 11:59
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby electrosonic » 08 Feb 2012, 21:05

I wish they hadn't put a stereo echo on the recording, makes you wonder what other post production was done to the tones.

Sounds good though.

Andrew.
User avatar
electrosonic
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 123
Joined: 28 Nov 2008, 17:53
Location: Vancouver, BC
Has thanked: 27 times
Have thanks: 19 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby greigoroth » 09 Feb 2012, 08:05

electrosonic wrote:I wish they hadn't put a stereo echo on the recording, makes you wonder what other post production was done to the tones.

Sounds good though.

Andrew.


Check the vid from 1:40 ish - Jet City usually compose a "song" showing off the pedal in the beginning, then the rest is "unproduced" pedal demo.
User avatar
greigoroth
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 09 Dec 2010, 11:59
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby bhill » 09 Feb 2012, 14:29

"built with audiophile grade components" ? For a fuzz box? :?
bhill
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 03 Oct 2010, 03:18
Has thanked: 14 times
Have thanks: 8 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby patafix » 10 Feb 2012, 15:53

... to ensure clean dirt of course ! Anyway I'm looking forward to learning more (from another gutshot, if available) !!!
Patafix... so sticky
patafix
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 12:21
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby greigoroth » 10 Feb 2012, 22:39

I couldn't find any more shots when I googled it, considered buying it for the hell of it but 225 bucks I'd rather buy a fuzz from John Lyons, a bottle of Bollinger and make a night of it.
User avatar
greigoroth
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 09 Dec 2010, 11:59
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby weskuhnley » 23 May 2013, 21:48

Happy to answer any questions you might have about the Acceleron.
weskuhnley
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 May 2013, 16:38
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby sinner » 23 May 2013, 22:30

weskuhnley wrote:Happy to answer any questions you might have about the Acceleron.


fancy to share schematic? :slap:
sinner
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 4812
Joined: 06 Nov 2008, 18:16
Location: ...no more
Has thanked: 1239 times
Have thanks: 1098 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby weskuhnley » 24 May 2013, 03:29

sinner wrote:
weskuhnley wrote:Happy to answer any questions you might have about the Acceleron.


fancy to share schematic? :slap:


Naw, I'll make you work for it. :D

Isn't that the point of FSB? :wink:

For this message the author weskuhnley has received thanks: 3
mmolteratx (30 May 2013, 07:57), Seiche (30 May 2013, 09:24), sinner (24 May 2013, 20:06)
weskuhnley
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 May 2013, 16:38
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby Jack Deville » 24 May 2013, 07:32

Really enjoying this dynamic.
Amplifier & Effects Repair/Design/Construction:
http://www.jackdeville.com
User avatar
Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 395
Joined: 02 Apr 2009, 07:21
Location: Portland, OR
Has thanked: 3 times
Have thanks: 84 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby atreidesheir » 25 May 2013, 16:02

finally. someone get fsb.
in memory of Max Cohen.Image
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom
User avatar
atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 747
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 01:56
Location: Nashville
Has thanked: 452 times
Have thanks: 40 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby mmolteratx » 30 May 2013, 08:46

Tried to trace from some guts and info from another forum. Couple of traces aren't exactly clear though, and as a result, there are several things I think are wrong. Namely, the drain connection on Q1 (can't see it connecting to anything but the base of Q2) and the connections around D1/D2. Attached is what I've got so far.

For this message the author mmolteratx has received thanks: 3
Nocentelli (30 May 2013, 11:00), Seiche (30 May 2013, 09:26), sinner (30 May 2013, 11:02)
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
 
Posts: 510
Joined: 19 Dec 2009, 02:50
Has thanked: 103 times
Have thanks: 621 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby Nocentelli » 30 May 2013, 10:59

Do I spy a bazz fuss lurking in there? mmm, sophisticated.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
User avatar
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 08:06
Location: Leeds, UK
Has thanked: 781 times
Have thanks: 808 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby skywise » 30 May 2013, 13:58

I may have missed a few traces in drawing this, but I think it may be close.


Acceleron_drawing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author skywise has received thanks: 3
atreidesheir (30 May 2013, 23:47), IvIark (17 Aug 2014, 01:29), mmolteratx (30 May 2013, 17:38)
skywise
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 79
Joined: 23 Dec 2011, 06:09
Has thanked: 47 times
Have thanks: 19 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby mmolteratx » 30 May 2013, 18:14

Think I've got it now.

For this message the author mmolteratx has received thanks: 3
mirosol (30 May 2013, 20:55), sinner (30 May 2013, 18:34), skywise (30 May 2013, 22:16)
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
 
Posts: 510
Joined: 19 Dec 2009, 02:50
Has thanked: 103 times
Have thanks: 621 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby weskuhnley » 30 May 2013, 22:47

mmolteratx wrote:Think I've got it now.



There are still a number of errors in this schemo. :wink:

Also interesting you chose to put a (C) on your lifted schematic...just sayin.

I mentioned this in the Manifold drive thread, but finding 5457's with the right characteristics is critical to getting these pedals to sound right. It surprised me initially, because the transistors test virtually identically, but in circuit there are very noticeable differences.

For this message the author weskuhnley has received thanks:
atreidesheir (30 May 2013, 23:47)
weskuhnley
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 May 2013, 16:38
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby mmolteratx » 30 May 2013, 23:16

weskuhnley wrote:
mmolteratx wrote:Think I've got it now.



There are still a number of errors in this schemo. :wink:

Also interesting you chose to put a (C) on your lifted schematic...just sayin.

I mentioned this in the Manifold drive thread, but finding 5457's with the right characteristics is critical to getting these pedals to sound right. It surprised me initially, because the transistors test virtually identically, but in circuit there are very noticeable differences.


The (C) is there in case anyone tries to claim copyright and have it taken down, which has happened before here. Just a precaution.

Care to confirm the errors? Things that look odd to me are DC coupling between Q1/Q2, particularly considering the current source on Q2's emitter, the location of D1/D2, which would make more sense at the input, or in place of R6 in the current source.

EDIT: Oh, a couple values are slightly off. Shows me to not confirm them before drawing.

R3 - 49.9Ω
R4 - 1k87
R5 - 47k5
R14 - 1k37
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
 
Posts: 510
Joined: 19 Dec 2009, 02:50
Has thanked: 103 times
Have thanks: 621 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby weskuhnley » 30 May 2013, 23:45

mmolteratx wrote:
The (C) is there in case anyone tries to claim copyright and have it taken down, which has happened before here. Just a precaution.

Care to confirm the errors? Things that look odd to me are DC coupling between Q1/Q2, particularly considering the current source on Q2's emitter, the location of D1/D2, which would make more sense at the input, or in place of R6 in the current source.

EDIT: Oh, a couple values are slightly off. Shows me to not confirm them before drawing.

R3 - 49.9Ω
R4 - 1k87
R5 - 47k5
R14 - 1k37


You're on the right track, but any specific help from me defeats the point right?
weskuhnley
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 May 2013, 16:38
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby mmolteratx » 31 May 2013, 00:02

weskuhnley wrote:
mmolteratx wrote:
The (C) is there in case anyone tries to claim copyright and have it taken down, which has happened before here. Just a precaution.

Care to confirm the errors? Things that look odd to me are DC coupling between Q1/Q2, particularly considering the current source on Q2's emitter, the location of D1/D2, which would make more sense at the input, or in place of R6 in the current source.

EDIT: Oh, a couple values are slightly off. Shows me to not confirm them before drawing.

R3 - 49.9Ω
R4 - 1k87
R5 - 47k5
R14 - 1k37


You're on the right track, but any specific help from me defeats the point right?


I guess. :lol: Went back and looked closer at the pics, I flipped the trace from the junction of D1/D2, so they're definitely at the gate of Q1. Also looks like there's a trace connecting the drain of Q1 to the base of Q2, and I don't see any caps that would reasonably connect the two. I'll see if I can repost the pics I'm referencing here for everyone else. Attached what I've got as of now, and will remove the old one in a minute.

FWIW, I'm definitely close to buying one. Sounds killer in the clips, and I'm trying not to use my own stock of 5457s unless I absolutely have to. :thumbsup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author mmolteratx has received thanks: 2
IvIark (17 Aug 2014, 01:29), onebuzz (14 Nov 2016, 01:54)
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
 
Posts: 510
Joined: 19 Dec 2009, 02:50
Has thanked: 103 times
Have thanks: 621 times

Re: Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

Postby weskuhnley » 31 May 2013, 00:16

mmolteratx wrote:...I'm trying not to use my own stock of 5457s unless I absolutely have to. :thumbsup


Not going to pony up for 2500? :mrgreen:
weskuhnley
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 May 2013, 16:38
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 4 times

Next

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: highbass, music6000, snakepit86 and 12 guests