Zvex - Jonny Octave  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
dave_b
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dave_b »

theehman wrote:Hey!! I've already got a pedal called the "Distort-O-Matic"!! You'll be hearing from my lawyers :wink:
If your lawyers find Boscorelli, let us know. :D

DougH
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by DougH »

Re. the Johnny Octave:

It's two octaves up. Cascade 2 octave up circuits, 2 tychos, sh*t 2 *any* octave circuits and it should get you close. There's so many different octave circuits to choose from and different ways of getting and octave up- pick one and try it.

I haven't heard the JO except for clips but I doubt there's anything that particularly distinguishes it from the gazillion other octave pedals out there except the 2 oct up thing...

tomtom
Information

Post by tomtom »

OK you caught me ! I just love thoses octaves up

I think it's maybe about how you can "play" them to bring nuances
just like a filter.

You have several ways to create an octave up and each circuit gives
a different sound (a tyco is really different from an superfuzz for exemple)
and it seems to me that the JO/Brassmester diode ring and transformer
is a nice way to have a clean octave. You could use a Foxx Tone Machine
"octave engine" to obtain a clean octave but it will not sound the same (not worst actually).

The two octave up thing is easy to obtain for sure. It could be noisy though.

And btw that's just my point of view.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

can somebodu post guts pictures from both sides of JONNY's pcb?????
please,and thank you :?: :!:

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Man, use the search function please, besides, this is abootek effect.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... stompboxes

I c an understand why Analogguru gets pissed at this, it never goes away.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

I am just asking for pictures of it.....please don't be mad at me....... :horsey:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

borislavgajic wrote:I am just asking for pictures of it.....please don't be mad at me....... :horsey:
Look.... ähemmm.... how should I say ? .....ähemm ....this forum has been created by a bunch of crazy people.... and this crazy people created some uncommon forum rules too, which can - and should - be read here:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54

Point 4 and 5 of the rules say:
4. Search Function: use it before anything else, your question might already have been answered before.

5. Subject of Post: keep them simple and clear, so everybody understands what you are asking or posting about. People interested in your subject will find your post faster. Don't hesistate to attach similar problems to older threads already discussing the subject, keep the info centralized.
okay ?

BTW: nice tracings of the Boss FW-3, when I find time I will draw a schematic.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

OK ...I apologize...my mistake..... :(
greetings

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

I would be wery happy if somebody correct this drawing........ :idea: [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=a_partyguy.gif] [smilie=thanks.gif]
Attachments
jonnyOctave.jpg

arctumeda
Information

Post by arctumeda »

Hi People,

I'm new on this forum, but not i began to built pedals 1 year ago.
I want to built an octaver since a aocuple of mounth but I was not able to decide me for one pédal.
However, last monday I went of Vzex website and I discovered this pedal. Yeah I've already built some SHO but I don't know this pédal. For these reasons, has anyone test the schematic of the "4 SHO" made by borislavgajic ??
If this schematic doesnt work, can we made our Octaver base on the Green Riger, and SHO ??

Guillaume from France
( scuse me for my very bad english )

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

finally somebody alive :hug:
that schem is not correct.....!!!I draw it based on one of posts....
everybody is talking about Jony...but .... :scratch:
but if some good person would post some gut shots....we could trace it correctly!!! :!:

i do not know what is the reason??? nobody is interested??? :idea: :?:

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

borislavgajic wrote:nobody is interested??? :idea: :?:
;)
I can only speak for myself Boris... And yes... that's the case :mrgreen:

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

hey Dirk nice to see You!!! :block:
OK ...I can understand,...but that was the easyest answer :P
... to be honest even I don't know why I am so interested(some kind of madness [smilie=a_alien.gif] )????

but there is hope! ...I am not alone ...there is Guillaume from France now!!!
and if he is also bit craisy like me.... :arrow: :arrow: ....TWO octaves UP :thumbsup

p.s.
and Dirk ....say Hi to your cat!
[smilie=a_okbyenow.gif]

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

i understand man, i would love to have 1 and 2 octaves up without the aid of a whammy pedal. those are the only things most people use that pedal for and 200 for just two effects is rather wasteful spending. please someone post some gut shots so it can be cannabalized :twisted:

arctumeda
Information

Post by arctumeda »

Hi Boris,

Yeah I'm completly mad, like of .
However, I live in a very very little town in the Alpes (15k People ^^ ), and I don't go oftenly to Marseille.
I've asked the Music Shop in my town, but they don't know Zvex :slap: :slap: :slap: .
To other side, me and a friend wont to build a clone of the Ringtone, but when we saw this photo we've decided to create a new one.
For the Octaver, we can so adapte the Green Ringer, but I dont saw how to make +2 Octave, with a fuzz sound ( not +2 octave like the Whammy, or the POG .... , or the Shitty Boss Pedal :lol: )

Guillaume, the madman of Fuzz and electric cello

arctumeda
Information

Post by arctumeda »

Yeah ! I've found a very great information.
2 Min ago, I surf on the net on this site, and I read the definition of the Johnny Octave :
" The Jonny's octave-up "engine" contains 4 germanium diodes and a transformer in each channel, with four internal gain trimmers allow adjustment for your playing style ".

I'll try to fing other things about this crazy pedal.

Guillaume

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

wow ....and now here is 3 insane persons: Guillaume,puppiesonacid and me .... [smilie=drink.gif] [smilie=hump.gif]
and... maybe Jonny Octave is not a prestige electronic project...( nider is SHO..)
....so we are are looking for somebodu with more knowledge and(or) gutshots.... :blackeye pretty please :hug:

p.s.
I live in Sombor... 100 km from Novi Sad (EXIT festival) and nobody here knows about Zvex pedalls(I'm talking about musicians) :slap:

p.p.s.
... in the end of this quest,we could ask some photos from Zachery himself :idea: :?:

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

Everything you need to know has already been posted in this thread. SHO -> "Modulator Driver" from the Maestro Brass Master* -> SHO. I've built it, it works. SHO circuit may be modified in some way but mine sounded exactly like the clips. Rinse and repeat for the second octave.

* You can skip Q3 and its supporting components, I don't know if it's included in the Jonny Octave, but it seems kind of superfluous.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Everything you need to know has already been posted in this thread.
Yes everything except some pictures and /or drawings.........
in my first posting I asked for some "gut shots of PCB"
and I can't beleive that nobody is able to provide that (on this FORUM)

WhiteKeyHole would You be so kind to post your schem or pictures???
it can be done in 10 minutes......and would make some crazy people happy

thanks

arctumeda
Information

Post by arctumeda »

Hum .... you might tell the truth but it's only for a part of the octaver : I've seen on one website that there was" 4 germanium diodes ""a transformer in each channel" and "four internal gain trimmers ".
And these elements are not in the SHO