Frantone - Vibutron  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
arivabox
Information

Post by arivabox »

greenskull wrote:
Razvan S. wrote:Hi guys...I'm having a hard time with this, I built it twice, it does not work...I built it from scratch the second time...EXACTLY the same sympthoms as the first

I can hear the LFO ticking, the IC does something as far as ticking goes, the switches do something to the ticking, pots as well

The only problem is that the signal is dry and does not tremolo...but the guitar passes through

Some thoughts please? Thanks! :(
Did you lift pin six of the function generator?
I recently built this from the Effects Layouts blog and needed to remove pin 6 of function generator from power to work (as noted in a previous post).
Also getting distortion on sine and triangle settings.... anybody else have this problem with this particular layout?
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2017 ... utron.html
Hello! Yesterday I collected it and it does not work, there is a clear sound, the functional works, but nothing changes, I spent the whole night on this problem (
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5i8net7mmvf7 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

arivabox
Information

Post by arivabox »

I picked up the 6 leg on icl8038, like on the layout tagboardeffects, the effect appeared, it sounds great. On one position everything is fine, here are the other two have a bit of boost at the output, is this normal? I used a switch 6p2t, but can it somehow connect it, with something else? It seems a little that there is not enough food or it is a lot of it, hence the booster. Another embarrassing difference in layouts, 100k, instead of 1M ? I think this is a matter of time and nights and everything will work fine)

arivabox
Information

Post by arivabox »

This pedal does not give me peace. I looked again at the video of Fran Blanche and noticed at 0.55 the sound also has distortions if you compare the sound without effect, at a non-maximal level. On the PGS, too, this is noticeable. It remains to assume that this is conceived? But the question with 6 pins remains open, in the original it is in action. Or there is an option to do with one position and do not rack your brains.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

analogpedals
Information

Post by analogpedals »

greenskull wrote: 29 May 2017, 01:01
Razvan S. wrote:Hi guys...I'm having a hard time with this, I built it twice, it does not work...I built it from scratch the second time...EXACTLY the same sympthoms as the first

I can hear the LFO ticking, the IC does something as far as ticking goes, the switches do something to the ticking, pots as well

The only problem is that the signal is dry and does not tremolo...but the guitar passes through

Some thoughts please? Thanks! :(
Did you lift pin six of the function generator?
I recently built this from the Effects Layouts blog and needed to remove pin 6 of function generator from power to work (as noted in a previous post).
Also getting distortion on sine and triangle settings.... anybody else have this problem with this particular layout?
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2017 ... utron.html
I've etched this circuit twice. First time I built it as like in the layout... I got the guitar signal, but no effect. Etched it again and lifted pin 6, it powered on for a sec, then died. I'm at my wits end on this one. Wish he would revisit this circuit and correct the errors. This is an amazing sounding effect.

thpmink
Information

Post by thpmink »

So, I have two ICL8038 laying around and want to have a crack at the Vibutron.

If I got that right from the video modman linked, one reason many people seem to have trouble with this circuit might be that the 8038 isn't really designed to operate on a single 9V supply.

Therefore, Fran had to select the chips and individually adjust the gain of the LFO buffer (Did I get this right? Her testing jig shows sockets for the IC and one resistor, it also has an extra pot labeled "bias" which I presume is for the Mosfet) to work around that.

While I appreciate her approach to keep it simple with the pedal— can I just lazily add a charge pump and go with, say a single 12V or 18V supply for the whole circuit? Or just supply the 8039 with a higher voltage and keep the audio path the same?

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

thpmink wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 14:44 So, I have two ICL8038 laying around and want to have a crack at the Vibutron.

If I got that right from the video modman linked, one reason many people seem to have trouble with this circuit might be that the 8038 isn't really designed to operate on a single 9V supply.

Therefore, Fran had to select the chips and individually adjust the gain of the LFO buffer (Did I get this right? Her testing jig shows sockets for the IC and one resistor, it also has an extra pot labeled "bias" which I presume is for the Mosfet) to work around that.

While I appreciate her approach to keep it simple with the pedal— can I just lazily add a charge pump and go with, say a single 12V or 18V supply for the whole circuit? Or just supply the 8039 with a higher voltage and keep the audio path the same?
I think that IC would be better served by a bipolar supply. +/- 15V would be ideal and you can get it from a rather complex LT1054 circuit or one of a number of Traco products.

BMS1971
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by BMS1971 »

Hello guys, if I wanted to copy the LFO but use it to drive a LED, what changes should I do?
regards
Benoit