EarthQuaker Devices - Dirt Transmitter Fuzzdriver

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Hi gang, I found something a little more my speed in terms of deciphering. This new [& discontinued] "fuzzdriver" from the creative folks at EarthQuaker Devices sent me #3 and it's huge in my single ended amp. Sorry the layout was done by my cloven hand but it is accurate to the best of my knowledge. Please, enjoy and offer any hints to the diodes part #'s. I provided 3 that I could see, that may be enough to ring a few bells in the EE types' vast data storehouses. Pedal>Image
Layout drawing & parts values>Image
Attachments
DirtXmitterFuzzdriver_EarthQuake-2.jpg
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The Value of R6 is wrong, compare it with the color of R9...
R6 is not 1M, it is 100k.

and the shown wiring is a liitle bit questionable/confusing.... sadly not photo of the wiring.....

One missing connection between C5 and collector of Q2
the connection between r4/r5 on the side of point (5) seems to be wrong.

From the topology it is basically a fuzzface-derivate.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Yes, brn-blk-blk-orange=100+000. R4 connects w/ lead #5. R5 connects w/ collector then over to the bottom of C5 to top of C4 to base[?] of Q1. That stuff gets me a little muddled where as it just glares at you, eh AG? Thankyou for taking the time to look my work over. I really triple checked it this time but I missed some elements again. Now let me revise the crappy artwork if the above changes seem plausible. Would you entertain a picture of the wiring? I'll give it a shot and post the results. :wink:
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I only miss the (correct) wiring (especially input = "dirt") to complete the schematic. Any info helpfull and apreciated.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

looks like a clean build and i love the graphics. not too expensive either. his hummingbird looks really nice too. it's a vox repeat percussion clone.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Very nice noel! I like the sound of it. Did you manage to get those extra shots?

I am Klon.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by noelgrassy »

Yes Image

alban.elfed
Information

Post by alban.elfed »

please update diagram

mpoirier313
Information

Post by mpoirier313 »

Anybody got this schematic kicking around? I sold mine a while ago and I miss it terribly.

thehallofshields
Information

Post by thehallofshields »

mpoirier313 wrote:Anybody got this schematic kicking around? I sold mine a while ago and I miss it terribly.
I can't believe this pedal is 10 years old already.

Did anyone save the images from this thread? This circuit can't be too hard to trace; 2 Transistor FF topology.
Those 5-band Blue Resistors are super hard to read from the images online though.

storyboardist
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by storyboardist »

Traced it this week. It's very fuzz face-ish with a BMP tone stack at the end.

Here's the layout:

And I made a video detailing how I traced it if you're interested:

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

i just built it and it sounds great.

here's a pic of my PCB (using storyboardist's layout----thanks!):

and here's my completed build in a polished & etched 1590B with all top jacks::

IMO, it's definitely worth building.

cspar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cspar »

Not having any 2n1711's I made a build of this with socketed transistors and trimpots for the collector and shunt feedback resistors.

I've been a getting a lot of good fuzz with all kinds of transistors using both Fuzz Face and Mk1.5 bias voltages as well as a few in-between.

I'm curious what the original 2n1711 voltages are with all the pots maxed. Anybody out there with one feel like opening it up and posting the results?
"Just because the forgoing circuits have produced results there is no reason experimenting won't lead to added results." L. E. Darling, in his article containing the earliest published vacuum tube synthesizer circuit, Popular Science Jan 1920