Dwarfcraft devices - Robot Devil

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

Drew a vero layout... Currently unverified...
+m
Attachments
Dwarfcraft-Devices-Robot-Devil.png
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

mirosol
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Been on Bogner for quite some time now.
Completed builds: Over 1000 and counting.

Post by mirosol »

mirosol wrote:Currently unverified...
Not anymore. Guys at blog built this and it's go.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/
http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/
"No such thing as innocence" -Iron Chic

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Built this things. Sounds fantastic. One question, is there an easy way to add a third (and maybe fourth?) octave option. An octave UP and/or perhaps Unison? I like the glitchyness of it. Would be cool to have the scattered glitchyness without lowering the octave.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I had a play with this this morning and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be wild and uncontrollable, but taking the usual "monophonic sub-octave precautions", i.e. neck pick-up, tone rolled back a bit, and playing mainly around the 12th fret, it's nice and stable. I wanted the option of both octaves so i replaced the switch with two pots, here's what I've got at the moment (I've also changed the pots from linear to log to make it easier to dial in the right amount of fuzz/octave1/octave2, and got rid of the starve pot):
Devil robot_schem_nocentelli.bmp
Devil robot_schem_nocentelli.bmp (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2850 times
I think it sounds superb in the loop of my Meatball clone, the squarewave fuzzy sub-octaves and gated attack+decay really suit heavy filtering.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Very cool. Having both octaves available would be great. Is there an easy way to wire this up using mirosol's layout above?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yeah, it should be straight forward: I've added some caps and resistors, but they aren't strictly neccessary.

I'd remove the switch and it's wires from the board, and reconnect lug3 from the octave pot to pin9 of the 4040 chip (where Sw3 used to be): This pot is now your "one octave below" level. Connect lug3 of a second 100k pot (which will be your "two octaves below" level pot) to pin7 of the 4040 chip (where Sw1 used to be), connect lug1 to ground (there's a convenient spot third row up from the bottom, right-hand side), and connect lug2 of this extra pot to the top row next to the connection to the existing octave pot lug2.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Great! I'll try this sometime later today or tonight. Out of curiosity, whats the purpose of the extra resistors and caps that you added?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

The resistors are to pad the octave signals down a bit more so they aren't so overwhelmingly loud compared to the fuzz signal; The caps are something I tried to make sure the two outputs don't interfere with each-other when both are connected simultaneously. I'm not convinced they actually make much/any difference, but I had already drawn up the schem before I tried the circuit without them.

rosetta
Information

Post by rosetta »

ok based on Nocentelli I made this layout, I omited some resistors an a couple of caps and had to set 3 jumpers, if there is any mistake just let me know.

regards.
Attachments
render.gif

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I can't see a pad to connect +9v, but it looks like it should work.

rosetta
Information

Post by rosetta »

Nocentelli wrote:I can't see a pad to connect +9v, but it looks like it should work.
oopps!! there u go fixed! I will try it, if ti works I'll post the pcb.
Attachments
render.gif

SatelliteIcarus
Information

Post by SatelliteIcarus »

hello!

I'm a researcher working on my PhD. I've been part of and documenting the practices of the diy pedal/synth / sound art community for the past 7 years.

I'm using the robot devil as an example in a book chapter about diy electronic music instruments, design and unconventional computing. As such, I'm referencing this thread, and more specifically, using nocentelli's redrawn schematic.

Nocentelli, if you're around, please let me know how you feel about me using your schematic.

I am not making any money off of this project.

thank you in advance for thinking about it!

With all my best,

S.I.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

SatelliteIcarus wrote:Nocentelli, if you're around, please let me know how you feel about me using your schematic.
If he doesn't see your post and respond you could click on his name and send him a PM (Private Message). That will notify him by email that he has a PM.

Best of luck with your thesis. :thumbsup
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

SatelliteIcarus
Information

deltafred wrote:
SatelliteIcarus wrote:Nocentelli, if you're around, please let me know how you feel about me using your schematic.
If he doesn't see your post and respond you could click on his name and send him a PM (Private Message). That will notify him by email that he has a PM.

Best of luck with your thesis. :thumbsup
Thanks!

I did try that first... was hoping he just missed it and bumping this thread would point that out to him, but no success yet... Hopefully soon!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

SatelliteIcarus wrote: Hopefully soon!
'Tis done.

SatelliteIcarus
Information

Nocentelli - the publisher is requesting a permission from you that explicitly states the chapter title, book title, and publisher's name... sorry to bug you about this again, but if you have the time to check your email / pm here on freestompboxes and just reply with yes or no there before Nov. 24th (date the final proofs are due) that would be fantastic.

Thank you so very much in advance, and sorry to bug you about this again,

SI