Dwarfcraft devices - Robot Devil

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
night-butterfly
Information

Post by night-butterfly »

Hi!
I don't know if this is ethical to post it here. Feel free to delete my topic if I offend Aen.
This is what I received with my robot devil kit. I'm not a pro at drawing schems so if someone is up to do it :D
Ic1= CD4049 UBCN Ic2= CD4040BE
rd1.jpg
rd2.jpg
rd3.jpg
rd4.jpg

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Guy sounds like an ass based on the last line of the parts list. How hard is it to tape the resistors to a piece of paper and write the values next to them?
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Kinda weird to not provide a schematic with a kit.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Hmm an octave overdrive device with 4049 , I guess when there's a crap load of gain
or is that what the other I.C. does , Yeah call me fucker , I call you Lazy .
Let us know how it sounds , Brave adventurer MB. [ That's the abreviation for Manitoba ]

jmraney317
Information

Post by jmraney317 »

Doesn't look like a terribly sophisticated circuit. The CD4049 is just a hex inverter chip; lots of pedals use those - like anything based off the Craig Anderton "Tube Sound Overdrive". I don't think I've ever seen a CD4040 in a pedal before; it's a 12 stage divider chip that takes a signal in and has outputs for divide by 2, divide by 4, ...
I've seen them in keyboard instrument designs (PAIA had a string synth kits many moons ago that used them).

From that last line in the instructions, though, I don't think the guy deserves anyone's business, IMHO!

rosetta
Information

Post by rosetta »

have fun...

jonasx26
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jonasx26 »

Very crude circuit indeed.
And straight out of Nicolas Collins book 'Handmade electronic music - the art of hardware hacking'.

I'd say 'The Art and Science of Analog Circuit Design' by Jim Williams is a better read.
jmraney317 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a CD4040 in a pedal before ..
The 4020, 4024 and 4040 all perform the same function. They only differ in the number of stages.
I guess the 4024 is used more often as you rarely divide by more than 128. (DIP-14 vs. DIP-16)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

madbean wrote:Kinda weird to not provide a schematic with a kit.

I agree, a proper circuit board parts placement diagram would have been handy too.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

night-butterfly
Information

The doc is a piece of crap compared to your beautiful and well documented PDFs Madbean! Plus I missed something in the kit, and the guy never answered my mail. The key to customer support lies in the last line of the doc :evil:

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

I thought that last line was kinda funny.
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

the effect sounds like ass, so its no biggie.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Well at least there's a real PCB instead of getting some perf board and a roll of electrical tape to insulate it.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

G5120fx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by G5120fx »

phibes wrote:Well at least there's a real PCB instead of getting some perf board and a roll of electrical tape to insulate it.
That would be the boutique kit! :applause: Unfortunately it costs 150 bucks!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

night-butterfly wrote:The doc is a piece of crap compared to your beautiful and well documented PDFs Madbean! Plus I missed something in the kit, and the guy never answered my mail. The key to customer support lies in the last line of the doc :evil:

I read the kit manual again and I think it comes off sounding a bit too condescending for my liking, whoever wrote it should have done a better job, they should have assumed that the person building the kit is a first-time kit builder, and I agree, Madbean's manuals are 100 times better compared to the one supplied with the kit.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

night-butterfly
Information

For the price of the kit and the time needed to put together a doc, he should have made a better work on it. I'm not a first time builder, there's no problem for me but when you get that in your mail box it's frustrating.
For the story, the kit should come with a custom vinyl sticker to put on the enclosure, I haven't received it. I Pm'ed Aen on ILF forum 3 weeks ago, no answer yet even if he continues to chit chat on dwarfcraft topics.
I mean if one day I start a business, please kill me before I become like that :shock:

Sari
Information

Post by Sari »

Something along these lines?

...perhaps :)

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Jack Deville wrote:I thought that last line was kinda funny.
I think it's funny, too.

But that's a missed "teachable moment". He could've also added, "And that's why you need a DMM, retards!"

Perhaps this is the beginning of a new era of "go fuck yourself" educational techniques? :lol:

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Nothing like a little coercion to straighten some guys... Imagine how much less we would be criticizing some builders if they had been told: "you better solder that right motherfucker or I'll go & kick yer ass!!"
La única verdad es la realidad.

G5120fx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by G5120fx »

Here´s a quick try for a Schematic. Paint rules :mrgreen:
Attachments
robot devil.jpg

emokine
Information

Post by emokine »

Breadboarded the paint schematic by G5120fx and is pretty much spot on, except need CD4049UB pin 8 to ground. Such a gnarly nasty awesome thing.. :twisted: