Solo Dallas - SVDS Replica  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
foxey
Information

Post by foxey »

and now...

1590B size.
Attachments
KIMG0028-1.jpg

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

apollomusicservice wrote:boby6kiler thanks, here is version 1.1 with some corrections.
What is the value for the diode and inductor L1? thankful

EddieTavares
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: marshall

Post by EddieTavares »

Those diodes are just for protection and the l1 is used to avoid noise from the power supply.

boby6kiler
Information

Post by boby6kiler »

this circuit is present on rev 2 to have the 12v to 9v but in the rv 3 this circuit is not present and all is in 12v like the tower if i remerber corectly

EddieTavares
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: marshall

Post by EddieTavares »

This is a "cosmetic feature" trying to keep the same circuit of the original circuit.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Does anyone have a working build of this?

Tomrcarre
Information

Post by Tomrcarre »

Hi, apologies for resurrecting this thread but does anyone have a copy of a working vero or pcb layout for this circuit? All the links posted by other members of the layouts seem to be dead! Looking forward to messing with this circuit

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

Tomrcarre wrote:Hi, apologies for resurrecting this thread but does anyone have a copy of a working vero or pcb layout for this circuit? All the links posted by other members of the layouts seem to be dead! Looking forward to messing with this circuit
Not exactly what you were asking, but later this week I'll have a schematic of the newer revision of the Storm from earlier this year, the one with the optical limiter instead of the compander. I will also be releasing a PCB along with it.

FuzzMonkey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FuzzMonkey »

aionios wrote:I will also be releasing a PCB along with it.
Looking forward to it.

456Onno456
Information

Post by 456Onno456 »

aionios wrote: ... later this week I'll have a schematic of the newer revision of the Storm from earlier this year...
this would be great. Really looking forward to it.

There are a few thinks I would like to add for those interested in building this circuit. I will mostly refer to Patrice's schem v1.2 on page 4 of this thread. In that schem, there are still some 'errors' (potential corrections mentioned in this thread, but hard to find) - the most central ones are:

omit R14, C21 is 16pF and C22 can be made larger (220µF) for better noise performance.

a) On top of it, there has been some discussion on C18 (1nF vs. 4.7nF). I doubt anyone can hear the difference between a 2k2 - 1n vs. a 2k2 - 4n7 low pass (with typical guitar speakers not reproducing a lot above 6kHz). I used a 4n7 and made two other caps, 22n and 47n, switchable via an On-Off-On. This actually makes a difference and next time (or when rehousing the effect) I would go with a rat tone control that can by switched out of the circuit (this also has been mentioned in the thread). My guess would be replacing R19 with a 10k pot and cap (10n - 47n) from middle wiper to gnd + increasing R20 to 860R.

b) The other thing that is a nice addition is a 2k2 and 100n in series for IC1A. One end goes to Pin 2 and the other one to the junction of C1 and C2. Again I made it switchable.

I assume everybody knows where to include some 100k resistors to avoid pops when a) and b) are made switchable, otherwise ask.

My impression of the sound (used lin pots):

Input gain is only useful around 50% with humbuckers (maybe a little more with strats and teles). Lower settings do not add anything a normal boost wouldn't cover, higher settings make everything too compressed and thick. Played into a Plexi, the output gain adjusts the overall boost. Everything above 40% adds too much drive, hence overdriving the input tube of the amp, which adds some less compressed and slightly brighter distortion (compared to setting the input gain too high). At least that is how I perceive it. There is a small magical spot for input and output gain that adds compression and drive in a very musical way. The two 'mods' proposed above allow tailoring it even further (for me useful if switching from a superlead to a superbass).

maybe someone will find this info useful,

m.

madras
Information

Post by madras »

Some time ago I build mine. I named it Schafer Replica Replica. :) My project is based on schematics posted in this thread.

Regarding your tips:
456Onno456 wrote:omit R14
Correct, I have also omitted it.
456Onno456 wrote:C21 is 16pF
Correct, I have also installed 16pF.
456Onno456 wrote:C22 can be made larger (220µF) for better noise performance.
Good point, I need to check it. Because mine is very noisy especially on higher gains. Thank you for the hint.
456Onno456 wrote:On top of it, there has been some discussion on C18 (1nF vs. 4.7nF).
I installed 1nF. Haven't tried 4.7nF, but it should result with a little little bit darker sound.
456Onno456 wrote:The other thing that is a nice addition is a 2k2 and 100n in series for IC1A. One end goes to Pin 2 and the other one to the junction of C1 and C2.
I do not undestand the purpose. I made a quick simulation with added 2k2 and 100n in series. The result is the only change is gain of preemphasis stage increased by about 0.3 dB (between 100 Hz and 10 kHz).

The additional mod I made is I removed IC1B voltage folower, because it does nothing. It is becasue output of NE570 in compressor configuration already has buffering. So I decided to use IC1B at the input, because original 100k input impedance is quite low. So I used it to make switchable impedance change to 1M. In general I prefer stock 100k impedance. 1M input impedance makes sound too bright in my opinion - tested with T-Top and JTM50 replicas.

Photos:

Schematic:

At the end I can say I like to play with it. I do not have original Schaffer Replica to compare, but based on Solodallas videos my copy does pretty much the same. What is more in my opinion it behaves different than just plain linear booster. And it is true that usable gain volume is up to 30-40%, if you crank more you'll result with harsh sound. My usual setup is input potentiometer on 100% and the output potentiometer on 10%.

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

Forgot to link the thread, but here's the trace of the Storm I posted on Friday:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30183&p=277347

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Here is a Vero board I made up, and I have built this and can verify it works.

Thanks
Rob
Attachments
SVDS.png

moonshiner
Information

Post by moonshiner »

caspercody wrote:Here is a Vero board I made up, and I have built this and can verify it works.

Thanks
Rob
awesome thanks . which schematic did you use? Also if you have it can you post it. Most of these links are dead or way too fuzzy to read. Much appreciated SIR and thanks to all for the Hard work!

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Here is the schematic I used.
Attachments
filename-1.pdf
(275.1 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

boby6kiler
Information

Post by boby6kiler »

probably the first revision of the tsr , if you build that with the same component of the tower ans add the missing little circuit with a pot you will have the same good result i think

moonshiner
Information

Post by moonshiner »

boby6kiler wrote:probably the first revision of the tsr , if you build that with the same component of the tower ans add the missing little circuit with a pot you will have the same good result i think
What ? Missing little circuit ? Hmm ? Please explain

moonshiner
Information

Post by moonshiner »

Waiting on some parts to make this . What is V1 and V2 on the Vero layout ?

moonshiner
Information

Post by moonshiner »

caspercody wrote:Here is a Vero board I made up, and I have built this and can verify it works.

Thanks
Rob
What is V1 and V2 on this layout ?

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Just a reference point for voltage contacts. so if I needed to connect to a specific voltage, I know where they are located on the board. As for building the vero, it means nothing.