VFE Fiery Red Horse  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
drbob1
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by drbob1 »

Interesting overdrive with dual "diodes in the feedback loop" op amp gain stages, including one setting where both op amp stages have single diodes for very asymmetric clipping. Sounds kinda cool and especially cool that he describes the circuits and shows shadow masks and gut shots on the website: http://www.vfepedals.com/fiery-red-horse.html

Ballsy move, cool guy!

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

Quite possibly the best Muff-style Fuzz for the money! VFE pedals are a great buy!
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

What? There are no op amp stages in that pedal... It's very clearly a Muff.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Sure, he confirms that one the website.

Many interesting pedals there, just variations of well-known circuits, but very usefull ones.
I'd be interested in schematics for many of them, esp. the Distortion3 (based on DOD250/Distortion+) and the Pale Horse.

One thing I don't understand about the Pale Horse: I can't see any germanium or schottky diodes near the mosfets. How can the mosfet clipping work then? Or is it just clipping of the body diodes?

B3ar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B3ar »

roseblood11 wrote:One thing I don't understand about the Pale Horse: I can't see any germanium or schottky diodes near the mosfets. How can the mosfet clipping work then? Or is it just clipping of the body diodes?
You can wire mosfets like diodes. This is probably best noted in versions of the Fulltone OCD.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Sure, but all you'll hear is the clipping of the body diodes, which sounds almost identical to any other silicon diode...

VonRutter
Information

Post by VonRutter »

drbob1 wrote:Interesting overdrive with dual "diodes in the feedback loop" op amp gain stages, including one setting where both op amp stages have single diodes for very asymmetric clipping. Sounds kinda cool and especially cool that he describes the circuits and shows shadow masks and gut shots on the website: http://www.vfepedals.com/fiery-red-horse.html
Here is the schematic of v2 Fiery Red Horse for anyone who is interested. It's a BMP-style fuzz circuit, with variable power from 3V to 16V (or higher if you plug in 12V or 15V power supply), plus active tone stage and variable compression in the 2nd distortion stage. The charge pump circuit is built on a simple 555 timer chip.

Owner & designer at VFE Pedals. Please email me directly at peter@vfecustom.com if you need a quick response.

VonRutter
Information

Post by VonRutter »

roseblood11 wrote:I'd be interested in schematics for many of them, esp. the Distortion3 (based on DOD250/Distortion+) and the Pale Horse.
Here you go! FYI, the Pale Horse has a charge pump that is not pictured. so the power rails are +9V and -9V.

Pale Horse schematic:

Distortion3 schematic:
roseblood11 wrote:One thing I don't understand about the Pale Horse: I can't see any germanium or schottky diodes near the mosfets. How can the mosfet clipping work then? Or is it just clipping of the body diodes?
Each mosfet is configured in a way that puts the body diode & Vgs saturation in parallel (and reverse polarity). The two mosfets are then put in series (also in reverse polarity). The result is a very high clipping threshold - around 2.7V on average. That's why a charge pump was used, to give the op amp the headroom needed to drive this configuration. It also lets the Pale Horse get LOUD!
Owner & designer at VFE Pedals. Please email me directly at peter@vfecustom.com if you need a quick response.

D-Day
Mojo Book Buster
Information
my favorite amplifier: Soldano SLO 100
Completed builds: Bazzfuss, Fuzz Face, Fuzzface SG

Post by D-Day »

Whoah thanks Peter!

hasanova
Information

Post by hasanova »

Here's the schematic of VFE Fiery Red Horse v2, with no values...
Attachments
FRH_schematic.png

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Can anybody upload all the other schematics again, please?

hasanova
Information

Post by hasanova »

Pale Horse
Attachments
palehorse.pdf
(417.62 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
PH_schematic.png
PH_schematic.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

hasanova
Information

Post by hasanova »