Catalinbread - Echorec

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

Ice-9 wrote:
coldcraft wrote:Is the sway control a dual gang pot? On the board it looks like its both a regen and a fv-1 pot. Cool idea.
No the sway pot is single gang. The pot position just below it is not used, it goes to the FV-1 and is the modulation pot which is controlled by an internal preset.

oh. maybe they plan to use the same PCB for another product then.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

loylo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by loylo »

coldcraft wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:
coldcraft wrote:Is the sway control a dual gang pot? On the board it looks like its both a regen and a fv-1 pot. Cool idea.
No the sway pot is single gang. The pot position just below it is not used, it goes to the FV-1 and is the modulation pot which is controlled by an internal preset.

oh. maybe they plan to use the same PCB for another product then.
Like the "Belle Epoch"?!! :D
Ice-9 wrote: @mrkaploca It's not possible to read protect the 24lc32a Eeproms, but reading the code from an Eeprom is of no use for study, only useful if you just want to flash it to another pedal.
I disagree. Reading some codes could be very instructive. For sure, you "can" learn to code a basic digital delay or a generic digital filter by yourself, given the necessary will. But Coding a "analog-like" filter needs advanced skills that you can learn from developped codes and algorithms. I have an elektor book about DSP with loads of very instructive examples.
I think that reading codes is as stimulating as deciphering analog circuits.

That said, I repeat that I respect your decision to not reveal the Echorec code.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

loylo wrote:
Ice-9 wrote: @mrkaploca It's not possible to read protect the 24lc32a Eeproms, but reading the code from an Eeprom is of no use for study, only useful if you just want to flash it to another pedal.
I disagree. Reading some codes could be very instructive. For sure, you "can" learn to code a basic digital delay or a generic digital filter by yourself, given the necessary will. But Coding a "analog-like" filter needs advanced skills that you can learn from developped codes and algorithms. I have an elektor book about DSP with loads of very instructive examples.

That said, I repeat that I respect your decision to not reveal the Echorec code.
I think ICE-9 means that its not possible to "read" (as in "extract") the code from an EEPROM back to the programming language on the computer, but it is possible to copy from one EEPROM to another. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

coldcraft wrote:
loylo wrote:

I think ICE-9 means that its not possible to "read" (as in "extract") the code from an EEPROM back to the programming language on the computer, but it is possible to copy from one EEPROM to another. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct coldcraft, you can indeed read and use/copy the eeprom code but as a learning tool it is useless, as it is a compiled hex and no information is available to see how the assembly code works.

I'm sure there are clever people out there that can reverse the compiled code back to asm but thats not me.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

loylo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by loylo »

Oups, Im confused! Sorry for my misunderstanding! :oops: :mrgreen:
Then you're 100% right, Ice-9!

micromegas
Information

Post by micromegas »

loylo wrote: I have an elektor book about DSP with loads of very instructive examples.
may I ask what book is that?

loylo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by loylo »

Sorry for the late answer.

It is this book:
http://www.elektor.fr/products/books/au ... 2601.lynkx

But I don't know if it has been translated...

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

loylo wrote:Sorry for the late answer.

It is this book:
http://www.elektor.fr/products/books/au ... 2601.lynkx

But I don't know if it has been translated...
I was thinking about getting a DSP/µC book , is it good ?

loylo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by loylo »

That's the book I've recommended to you on g.com :wink:

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

I really like the sound of this pedal but having tap tempo is a must for my needs so unfortunately although I like the sound I can't use it.
I know a lot of people that don't have any use for a tap tempo in a delay pedal, and I understand that but there are the same amount of people that find it useful or really need it to sync with the songs. It depends on particular needs and uses.

I have seen a lot of other people asking for the tap tempo feature in this pedal but the manufacturer refuses to add that feature in new versions with the argument of "Tape Delays don't have tap tempo".

Would changing the code be the only way of achieving a tap tempo control in this unit?

Thanks

captain_tango
Information

Post by captain_tango »

Sorry for re-surfacing this, but I'm really interested in the BJT preamp and mixer situation that Catalinbread has been using.
I want to get into the FV-1, but I feel like playing around with a bit more of a crude BJT preamp could be more fun than a stable and obvious op-amp one...
Does anyone still have the first draft or any draft schematic? I don't need spot on repliction, just general pointers, really!

Thanks!

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

Hi captain_tango, I would like to help you out but I dont have the schematic now I ever seen an atempt of a drawing.

For you guys much more knowledged than me on eproms,
do you think is there any way to modify this pedal so it can have tap tempo?

thank you so much

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

ilcaccillo wrote:Hi captain_tango, I would like to help you out but I dont have the schematic now I ever seen an atempt of a drawing.

For you guys much more knowledged than me on eproms,
do you think is there any way to modify this pedal so it can have tap tempo?

thank you so much

The only way I could think of to add tap tempo to the echorec while keeping the original code intact on the pedal would be to develop a PIC or ATMEL taptempo add-on which has a taptempo footswitch and a echo pot, this would need to replace the echorec 'Delay Time' pot which controls one of hte FV-1 pot control pins. Maybe It would be a big chore to work out the maths for the tap tempo to match the delay time of the pedal. It sounds like a nice mod that Catalinbread should do though.

The other way would be to completely write your own FV-1 code to replace the echorec code and include the taptempo FV-1 code within the new echo code. The problem here would be that the taptempo part of the FV-1 code uses quite a lot of the available code space and would not leave enough to make the echo code as good as the original pedal.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

Thanks Ice-9

So it seems the "Pic tap tempo add on" would be probably the best way to attempt to do that

Thank you so much for your input

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

ilcaccillo wrote:Thanks Ice-9

So it seems the "Pic tap tempo add on" would be probably the best way to attempt to do that

A pic code tap tempo would need to be a 0-3.3v control voltage for control of the tap timing unlike some tap tempo code which will output an LFO. It could be done but I have not give it any thought at all.

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

Ice-9 wrote:

A pic code tap tempo would need to be a 0-3.3v control voltage for control of the tap timing unlike some tap tempo code which will output an LFO. It could be done but I have not give it any thought at all.
Would you be interested in developing this?

There's a lot of people asking for a Tap tempo solution for the Catalin Echorec, I'm sure they're will be demand

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

ilcaccillo wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:

Would you be interested in developing this?

There's a lot of people asking for a Tap tempo solution for the Catalin Echorec, I'm sure they're will be demand
Sorry that is not on my list of to do things.

ilcaccillo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ilcaccillo »

If anyone is instered in developing an option for TAP Tempo control in Catalinbread Echorec please let me know

Thank you so much