Amptweaker - Tight Metal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Amptweaker - Tight Metal

Postby J0K3RX » 21 Sep 2017, 21:34

temol wrote:I've just finished TM build (effectslayouts pcb) and I have a question about "tight" knob. When rotating "tight" there is no change in the sound until last 20 degrees or something like that. Is this normal? Potentiometer is B100k.

T.

not normal.. Tight pot should be C100k. I can say that with 100% certainty because I am sitting here looking right at it :wink:

I would like to know why the "Tight" pot on the BE-OD works so good and not so much on the Amptweaker pedals? I haven't built the BE-OD yet so, I am only going by what I have heard people say.. I can't stand it on the amptweaker boxes, sounds like it's sucking the life out of it when you dial it up!
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 450 times

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 22 Sep 2017, 00:02

Is it because the Be-od is "Tight before clipping", and the Amptweaker has clipping before tight?

I don't know myself, I haven't played the tight metal.
bmxguitarsbmx
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 59 times

Postby J0K3RX » 22 Sep 2017, 04:31

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:Is it because the Be-od is "Tight before clipping", and the Amptweaker has clipping before tight?

I don't know but, I wouldn't think so..? I never really experimented with the tight pot on the tight metal or tight rock because they both seem to be already about as tight as you would ever want... Adding a tight control to them is like adding wetness control knob next to the water on/off knob in your shower... Maybe if it made it less tight (loose) it could serve a purpose because I find the Amptweaker pedals to be a bit stiff and unforgiving especially for playing lead solos. The clipping in the first stages of the tight metal don't seem to have much affect if I my memory is correct because i have removed them and it made little to no difference in the over all gain, sound or feel.. The BE-OD tight pot is connected to vref instead of gnd but I am not sure if that makes much difference either..? Maybe the placement in the circuit makes a difference like sticking it after the first opamp which is also before the clipping, dunno... I will have to mess around with it when I get a chance...
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 450 times

Postby plush » 22 Sep 2017, 08:25

temol wrote:I've just finished TM build (effectslayouts pcb) and I have a question about "tight" knob. When rotating "tight" there is no change in the sound until last 20 degrees or something like that. Is this normal? Potentiometer is B100k.

T.

Just use c100k
plush

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby temol » 22 Sep 2017, 08:45

not normal.. Tight pot should be C100k. I can say that with 100% certainty because I am sitting here looking right at it :wink:

Changed the pot to C taper, now there is a full range adjustment. Thanks!

T.
temol

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby bool » 22 Sep 2017, 11:58

>>>> Maybe if it made it less tight (loose) it could serve a purpose because I find the Amptweaker pedals to be a bit stiff and unforgiving especially for playing lead solos.

Adding a "loose" switch to the "tight" control could be made by simply breaking the continuity to the pot with a simple on-off switch; and adding a "just right" resistance in parallel to that switch (possibly a 100k preset/trimmer - or another pot) - meaning that if you had the tight pot sitting at your favorite setting with X kOhm; by flipping a switch you would jump to X + Y kOhm for your lead etc.

Or just mod the thing to switch between two "tight" pots; one being "looser" and the other "tighter" (say, one being a default 100k and the loose one a 200k ...).
bool
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 22 Sep 2017, 21:54

J0K3RX wrote:
bmxguitarsbmx wrote:Is it because the Be-od is "Tight before clipping", and the Amptweaker has clipping before tight?

I don't know but, I wouldn't think so..? I never really experimented with the tight pot on the tight metal or tight rock because they both seem to be already about as tight as you would ever want... Adding a tight control to them is like adding wetness control knob next to the water on/off knob in your shower... Maybe if it made it less tight (loose) it could serve a purpose because I find the Amptweaker pedals to be a bit stiff and unforgiving especially for playing lead solos. The clipping in the first stages of the tight metal don't seem to have much affect if I my memory is correct because i have removed them and it made little to no difference in the over all gain, sound or feel.. The BE-OD tight pot is connected to vref instead of gnd but I am not sure if that makes much difference either..? Maybe the placement in the circuit makes a difference like sticking it after the first opamp which is also before the clipping, dunno... I will have to mess around with it when I get a chance...

Interesting.

The Tightmetal does already have treble emphasis early on (c4 R5= 720Hz 1st order Highpass ) Then again (c7&R9 make a 2nd order High Step @ 3.2kHz) Then it hits the "Tight control". Usually, there is only one, and sometimes two stages of treble emphasis, if it is highly saturated. Integrating the tight control earlier or replacing one of the existing treble emphasis stages would probably make it more useful. The BEOD tight is useful and also the only treble emphasis stage in that pedal.
bmxguitarsbmx
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 59 times

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...