Amptweaker - Tight Metal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

richard44 wrote:I have not yet tried running this at 18V, but James Brown in his demo showed it gave the pedal a more expansive, less compressed sound. Apropos to that, if I had to build this pedal again, I might add a 18V/9V switch with a voltage double in the circuit.
I finally got around to building one a little while back. I prefer having the gain lower than what I imagine the average (metal playing) user might go for, and I built this to the Tight Rock specs.

When used in this way, I think the higher voltage is almost a necessity, because it seems to eliminate unpleasant higher order harmonics (that seem to be coming from the op amps themselves). For super heavy distortion, I don't think there's an obvious advantage to anything higher than 9V - you'd really only need it for playing stuff that had a big dynamic range.

It really does seem to be a cool pedal. My only complaint is that when I roll down my guitar's volume, it sounds like a sitar, or like there is a biasing issue. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a minor error in my build, but it would have to be minor, because the pedal sounds great otherwise, and I only run it at 18V with the gain low. And since the gain is never set high, I was able to remove the gate altogether.

EmmG
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by EmmG »

What about this on a 4 position rotary switch? I don't want any of the lower gain modifications of the TR version, just more mid range.

dave_b
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dave_b »

Hi everyone. I've read through this thread and while I saw plenty of artwork, I was hoping there would be an Eagle layout to share. Anyone? I'd like to send this sucker to Oshpark since my PCB efforts tend to rust everything around me. Since they have a 3-board minimum, I would most likely have a spare board if someone needed it.
"I think being funny is not anyone's first choice" - Woody Allen

mwelch55
Information
my favorite amplifier: Modded Marshall
Completed builds: Pedals:
BSIAB2, Tube Screamer Clone, Timmy Clone, Plexi-Drive Clone, Dr Boogie, Rangemaster, GTFO, MicroAmp, Silicon Fuzz Face, Germanium Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi, Rat

Amps:
Single-Ended Marshall Voiced using 6V6,6L6,EL34,5881,6550, or KT88

Post by mwelch55 »

I have heard it mentioned in this forum that you can build the Tight Metal and Tight Rock from the same layout, but with different component values. Does anyone have the component values of the tight rock (or a schematic with values)?

Mike

dave_b
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dave_b »

mwelch55 wrote:I have heard it mentioned in this forum that you can build the Tight Metal and Tight Rock from the same layout, but with different component values. Does anyone have the component values of the tight rock (or a schematic with values)?

Mike
Hey Mike, have a look at J0K3RX's post here:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 54#p236432

dave_b
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dave_b »

dave_b wrote:Hi everyone. I've read through this thread and while I saw plenty of artwork, I was hoping there would be an Eagle layout to share. Anyone? I'd like to send this sucker to Oshpark since my PCB efforts tend to rust everything around me. Since they have a 3-board minimum, I would most likely have a spare board if someone needed it.
Nevermind, I missed the fact that J0K3RX posted his DipTrace file. Thanks man! :-)

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

mwelch55 wrote:I have heard it mentioned in this forum that you can build the Tight Metal and Tight Rock from the same layout, but with different component values. Does anyone have the component values of the tight rock (or a schematic with values)?

Mike
Look 2 posts above your post.. There you will find your answer :wink:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

dave_b wrote:
dave_b wrote:Hi everyone. I've read through this thread and while I saw plenty of artwork, I was hoping there would be an Eagle layout to share. Anyone? I'd like to send this sucker to Oshpark since my PCB efforts tend to rust everything around me. Since they have a 3-board minimum, I would most likely have a spare board if someone needed it.
Nevermind, I missed the fact that J0K3RX posted his DipTrace file. Thanks man! :-)
Yeah, sorry man.. I've been busy lately and didn't check fsb to see if there was any activity. Been kinda dry around here lately as far as any high gainers go so, I kinda shifted my attention elseware. I really wanted to get a (correct) schematic for the Friedman BE-OD pedal but, it kinda died off and went into guess/speculation mode.. Hopefully somebody will get hold of one of the pedals again so we can connect the dots/fill in the blanks..

ilshat
Information

Post by ilshat »

J0K3R!
Great stuiff and great your work.
I've been doing on your circuit on layout brejna
And now I think how to fit into the housing DOD Death Metal. Sorry for my English :oops:

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 5150lll

Post by Belanger88 »

which capacitor would you guys recommend putting on a rotary switch? I've got some 2p6t switches and some etched PCBs for them that fit 6 caps

I really want to get a bigger fat metal type tone. seeing how close the TR and TM are it makes me wonder what changes I could make to the tone stack to get a similar tone

thanks ahead of time for any advice!
Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

I was gonna get a BigRock Pro and bust that bad boy opened so we can dissect like Dr. G Medical Examiner :evil:

The reason I decided to get a BRP is because a forum member (who I will not name unless he says it's ok) sent me a bunch of excelent gut shots of the Tight Metal Pro. The pics are great but, even with all the great pics it's still gonna be damn near impossible to trace without the actual pedal in hand... So, I figured since the TMP and the BRP are both built using the same boards I would buy a BRP, trace it and use the pics from the TMP to find the differences and then we will have both! Be like killin 2 pedals with 1 BigRock! :twisted: I will start a new topic when I begin.. Who's up for it?

From looking at the pics this is one heavy duty no bull shit pedal! Very well layed out all crazy Amptweaker style with quality components and looks to be all hand soldered which is nuts if you're building thousands of them!! The enclosure is made of thick ass steel armor like all the rest... I think it's one of the best built pedals around man, these fukers ain't no joke!!

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Alright.. Got it, on it's way. :wink: Should be here middle of the week, latest maybe Thursday.

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 5150lll

Post by Belanger88 »

J0K3RX wrote:I was gonna get a BigRock Pro and bust that bad boy opened so we can dissect like Dr. G Medical Examiner :evil:

The reason I decided to get a BRP is because a forum member (who I will not name unless he says it's ok) sent me a bunch of excelent gut shots of the Tight Metal Pro. The pics are great but, even with all the great pics it's still gonna be damn near impossible to trace without the actual pedal in hand... So, I figured since the TMP and the BRP are both built using the same boards I would buy a BRP, trace it and use the pics from the TMP to find the differences and then we will have both! Be like killin 2 pedals with 1 BigRock! :twisted: I will start a new topic when I begin.. Who's up for it?

From looking at the pics this is one heavy duty no bull shit pedal! Very well layed out all crazy Amptweaker style with quality components and looks to be all hand soldered which is nuts if you're building thousands of them!! The enclosure is made of thick ass steel armor like all the rest... I think it's one of the best built pedals around man, these fukers ain't no joke!!

im so excited to see what the boost section is!!
Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

It arrived today.. stay tuned for gut shots and schematics :twisted:

I will probably start a new topic "Amptweaker BigRock/TightMetal Pro" :hmmm:

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

Hi guys. Im having a bit of a hard time understanding the tight rock mods, could someone help me please? I used the schematic over at effectslayouts here http://effectslayouts.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... l.html?m=0

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

J0K3RX wrote:Ok, just outa curiosity I changed only these values on my TM clone and SHAZAM!! Pretty damn close to the TR... Very close to be exact! So, aside from a few other minor changes (Tweaks) they are both the same.. Game Over... :twisted:
Hi, im considering changing the layout i used over here http://effectslayouts.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... l.html?m=0 to the tight rock, and im having a hard time decifering the schematics. I cant really read them im afraid, but could you help a brother out? What would i need to change in order to make the tight rock? Many thanks anyone who can help.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

teddeeh wrote:
J0K3RX wrote:Ok, just outa curiosity I changed only these values on my TM clone and SHAZAM!! Pretty damn close to the TR... Very close to be exact! So, aside from a few other minor changes (Tweaks) they are both the same.. Game Over... :twisted:
Hi, im considering changing the layout i used over here http://effectslayouts.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... l.html?m=0 to the tight rock, and im having a hard time decifering the schematics. I cant really read them im afraid, but could you help a brother out? What would i need to change in order to make the tight rock? Many thanks anyone who can help.
Try this..
Attachments
AmpTweaker Tight Metal - Tight Rock.jpg

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

Many thanks, will do this asap and get back to you.

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

J0K3RX wrote:
teddeeh wrote:
Try this..
Many thanks. I like the change, i think it definaty makes it more versatile but.. theres almost a hiss that lasts on a ringing note or chord likes its reverberating the springs on a snare drum..

EmmG
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by EmmG »

The " rock" mod just means the midrange cut is less drastic than the Metal version , right?