Amptweaker - Tight Metal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

I noticed some missing parts on the board (R44, C28, C26). It's strange because the Grind Custom FX project, I guess it's a verified and reliable, includes even a charge pump, but it doesn't have 44 resistors (37 including CLR), nor 28 caps (actually the caps are 27).
Could the Fat Rock (and/or Fat Metal) version has more parts or just placed in difference spot, and not just difference value?

Do you explain all my doubts?

Nicht Bernd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Nicht Bernd »

But where to buy the pcb?

gainiac
Information

Post by gainiac »

Read all 32 pages of this last week and then built one, just finished, works perfectly & every bit as impressive as this thread led me to believe. Just wanted to stop back and say thanks to J0K3RX, rcustoms, jymaze and everyone else involved in making this a thing, the pedal sounds incredible, great work fellas! :)

BSA Chawngthu
Information

Post by BSA Chawngthu »

gainiac wrote:Read all 32 pages of this last week and then built one, just finished, works perfectly & every bit as impressive as this thread led me to believe. Just wanted to stop back and say thanks to J0K3RX, rcustoms, jymaze and everyone else involved in making this a thing, the pedal sounds incredible, great work fellas! :)

Hmmmm looks like i had view and study all 32 pages, but i was very confuse, i read and there is tight metal with a normal 3pdt switch, and then there was a dragon, is this dragon going further, i just like the tight metal, if posible i like the JR verion, which i don't see at this forum, bwhat was this dragon, can anybody tell the difference about tight dragon, tight metal and a tight metal junior.

BSA Chawngthu
Information

Post by BSA Chawngthu »

Still, yeah a very difficult from an indian here, but we a Mizo are quite different from the mainland Indian, we follow the western, and we are the western of India, quite differences here, Vinnie moor, manowar, firehouse, petra, gnr and every hard rocker are in our blood, and so many more had come here, they don't know about the mainland india, but they sure know about the northeast here, i of all the electronics here would like to present what my people believe that "it is out of reach " is here " i may provide them but very confuse here.

jhergonz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie and Soldano SLO100

Post by jhergonz »

BSA Chawngthu wrote:
gainiac wrote:Read all 32 pages of this last week and then built one, just finished, works perfectly & every bit as impressive as this thread led me to believe. Just wanted to stop back and say thanks to J0K3RX, rcustoms, jymaze and everyone else involved in making this a thing, the pedal sounds incredible, great work fellas! :)

Hmmmm looks like i had view and study all 32 pages, but i was very confuse, i read and there is tight metal with a normal 3pdt switch, and then there was a dragon, is this dragon going further, i just like the tight metal, if posible i like the JR verion, which i don't see at this forum, bwhat was this dragon, can anybody tell the difference about tight dragon, tight metal and a tight metal junior.
dragon is tight metal and tight rock in one box.

jhergonz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie and Soldano SLO100

Post by jhergonz »

And I think the JR versions are the same with the bigger versions, but in a smaller enclosure and less features.

BSA Chawngthu
Information

Post by BSA Chawngthu »

jhergonz wrote:And I think the JR versions are the same with the bigger versions, but in a smaller enclosure and less features.

Ok that i understood, but what confused me most is the "double tight dragon", what does this "double" exactly means, is it TR and TM in one PCB.
I would like to build the simple working one, whose version should i build? Please i need your suggestion. Most of the electronic parts are at hand but confused to whose version i should build, also a very junior here in this hobby ( had completed only 1 pedal i.e MXR Dist.+, after joining this forum)

Sergi0
Information

Post by Sergi0 »

Ichabod_Crane wrote: I insert a flying resistor between the lug 3 of the VOlume and the wire. A 47k. And it seems work fine! :D The volume is lower and I can't hear eny difference in the sound (Should I?). I'll calibrate a bit the amount of the resistence, but finally it should fix this weird issue.
Same volume issue here...

I want to apply your mod but i don't understand it, what you refer with a "between the lug 3 of the VOlume and the wire"?what wire?wire of lug3?R47k in serial with lug3 of volume pot?

thank you!

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

What layout did you use? I used a veroboard layout. This mod it's been suggested to me.
Anyway, take a look at the schematic, I guess you have it saved somewhere. Did you see the volume pot lug 3 and the 220nF cap connected each other? You need to disconnect those and put between the cap and the lug 3 the resistor.
The veroboard layout I used has enough room to solder the resistor on the board on a strip (with a cut track under the resistor), the same strip where is placed the 220nF.

But it's not true that this mod is really transaprent how I told early, this resistor cut off a bit of high end, maybe a little cercamic cap in paralle with the resistor could rise up a bit of high, if I remember my test. A 50pf, for example.

Anyway, then I tried to use a log volume pot (log not linear!), and it worked very fine without add anything to the original schematic. I can set the pot fine enough until the unity volume at 9-10 o'clock.

Sergi0
Information

Post by Sergi0 »

Ichabod_Crane wrote: Anyway, then I tried to use a log volume pot (log not linear!), and it worked very fine without add anything to the original schematic. I can set the pot fine enough until the unity volume at 9-10 o'clock.
ooh thanks for fast your reply!I will test first change the volume pot from B (linear) lo A (log), it seems better solution!

p.d: I Used pcb from effectslayouts and only changed r27 value (1.5k->4.7k), all work fine except volume and tight behavior (I read that tight pot B100k to C100k solve the issue)

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Tight pot B or C you should hear difference at least at extreme setting. I used C100k and it works fine.

Sergi0
Information

Post by Sergi0 »

Ichabod_Crane wrote:Tight pot B or C you should hear difference at least at extreme setting. I used C100k and it works fine.
I used B100k and yes, only changes sound at the end (90%+), I will replace with C100k

asmiroth
Information

Post by asmiroth »

hey guys, ive built the tight metal it sounds heavy but it sounds fuzzy, like it's not punchy enough and and lacks body. what would seem be the problem? thank you!

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

If you want to build this project go here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=30451
If you have debugging questions go here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=30453

Closing this thread...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal