Amptweaker - Tight Metal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

I do not like the gate in tandem with the gain pot!! It's a great idea but, I personally would like to be able to adjust the gate rather than have it follow the gain!! Makes it impossible to find the sweet spot! It leave artifacts (if that's what you call them) as the notes decay... If I could adjust the gate lower with the highest gain setting I could find a happy medium but not as it stands with the dual gang pot. I would HIGHLY recommend 2 separate pots!!!

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

Okay here's my version of the pedal. Audio track was recorded directly to a PC with settings: Gain3, Gain max, Gain12, Tone3, Tone max: Tone12,
Tight max, Tight12, Tight min, Thrash ON Gain3 Tone3. As soon as I have more free time I will make better audio record. 8)
Attachments
TightMetal.zip
(585.96 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
TightMetal.jpg

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

I built rcustoms layout using the TL074/TL072 combo, it works really well but lacks the huge amount of gain that the original has? It has "high gain" but nowhere near the real pedal... investigating?

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Ok, I changed R11 from 22k to 330 ohm but now has a built in shortwave radio? :lol: Just whistles with high pitch noise that changes frequency/pitch with turning of the knobs... I can kinda hear faint guitar in the background but it's whistling like a teapot so loud that I can hardly make it out? Very annoying and shrill, seems to really bother the dog since she gave me a bewildered/confused look, urinated on the carpet and hauled ass outa the room :lol: :lol: :lol: :applause:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

cancel that last amended schematic - my mistake - I was confusing the 330 led chain resistor. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Maybe it is 2k2 though :hmmm: or perhaps R5 is 4k7 not 47k :hmmm:
sorry
cheers
Steve
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

bajaman wrote:cancel that last amended schematic - my mistake - I was confusing the 330 led chain resistor. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Maybe it is 2k2 though :hmmm: or perhaps R5 is 4k7 not 47k :hmmm:
sorry
cheers
Steve
Deleted it for ya.. :thumbsup
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

R10 in series with the Tight is 15k not 1.5k - brown/green/black/red/brown.

Going over other resistors for errors...

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

I thought you used your multimeter...? Anyway, even with the values here on the current schematic it should have a massive amount of gain (about 70.000).

Anything more than that will start to whistle, like you experienced. You must be having a problem elsewhere. The resistor in series with the tight pot is really not critical, minor difference, but i think it is 1.5k as it is not the resistor by the pot on the same side (which is R9, 15k), but the one on the other side, which looks like brown/green/black/brown to me.

By the way, R9 is 15k and not 1.5k as on some schematics. not sure why it was labeled like that later as it was definitely correct on my first hand-drawn schematics that served as templates for the further iterations...

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

jymaze wrote:I thought you used your multimeter...? Anyway, even with the values here on the current schematic it should have a massive amount of gain (about 70.000).

Anything more than that will start to whistle, like you experienced. You must be having a problem elsewhere. The resistor in series with the tight pot is really not critical, minor difference, but i think it is 1.5k as it is not the resistor by the pot on the same side (which is R9, 15k), but the one on the other side, which looks like brown/green/black/brown to me.

By the way, R9 is 15k and not 1.5k as on some schematics. not sure why it was labeled like that later as it was definitely correct on my first hand-drawn schematics that served as templates for the further iterations...

You're right, R9 is 1.5k and R10 is 15k... In any case, I did use a meter. Look at the traced pictures I posted with the values, they are correct. Somehow R9 got changed to 1.5k on the schematic, mistake I presume? As for the whistling, that was caused by mistake when bajaman told me that R11 was 330 ohm and not 22k and I tried it but then he realized that it was part of the LED chain... That has been corrected.

1.5k for R9 makes the Tight pot not work properly.. It gates or drops off at about 3/4 of the way up and doesn't sound good! 15k work as should. Everything works properly except that it has substantially less gain than the original.

For what it's worth, I do not like the noise gate on a dual gang pot with the gain and I am speaking about the original pedal.. It works much better on another pot and adjustable by itself! Too much gate at full gain, kinda kills the notes. It's ok for fast chuggin stops and starts but it kills leads and you can hear it decay... like I said earlier. And it really sux on the clone pedal since it's not reaching full gain like the retail version!

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

So you used your Sprint Layout? I wonder what can be wrong, I could not find any mistake on it...

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

jymaze wrote:So you used your Sprint Layout? I wonder what can be wrong, I could not find any mistake on it...
Nope, I used rcustoms layout. I etched the one I did but have not populated it yet due to lack of time but another guy did and it's not working for him. Well, it's kinda working for him but has way too much noise that cancels out the original guitar signal? I need to go over rcustoms layout but it uses the TL074 in place of two of the TL072's.. not sure it if that has anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so?? It works now 99% except for the gain loss??

It sounds just like the apollomusicservice demo... not even close to the gain of the original!?

I also built the triple wreck and now that thing has some gain let me tell ya!!! This should have the same amount of gain as the TW!!

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

Yep, always wanted to build a Triple Wreck, but it looked like a PIA on a vero. And I never etch anything... But I should!

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

jymaze wrote:Yep, always wanted to build a Triple Wreck, but it looked like a PIA on a vero. And I never etch anything... But I should!

Yeah, I hate etching actually... I usually etch a bunch of things at one time so I don't have to do it again for a while! Drilling sucks even more!! If you do etch the triple wreck is flawless, works perfectly! I used the madbean upper decker layout with on-board pots. well worth the effort!

I actually like the Tight Metal better (the real one)... but the Triple Wreck is a very close second! They sound very similar but the tight metal has more of a engl type midrange and fat ass lows! It's a little punchier and tighter than the triple wreck but they both sound brutal! I don't like the boost on the triple wreck and it surely doesn't even need it, at all! I really hope to get this TM working!!! It really kills!!

By the way, I am also tracing out an Ibanez TBX preamp. The wife picked up an Ibanez TBX15R at a garage sale for $10.00 and I am floored by the sound of this thing!!! This thing is wicked as hell!

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

I found the problem:

On RC's layout for IC1A the pin 2 and 3 are INVERTED. Pin 3 goes to VA.

The rest of the layout seems fine to me looking casually, but this mistake jumped at me.

Yep, I am on the ball!

apollomusicservice
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by apollomusicservice »

For my first TM version that I made I used a 100k dual (not 500k) pot for gain. For R10, seeing that TIGHT control does not work well with 1K5,
I found that the lower limit for is TIGHT is 6k8. With a strat guitar and such changes I made ​​demo. 8)

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

apollomusicservice wrote:For my first TM version that I made I used a 100k dual (not 500k) pot for gain. For R10, seeing that TIGHT control does not work well with 1K5,
I found that the lower limit for is TIGHT is 6k8. With a strat guitar and such changes I made ​​demo. 8)
ah... maybe the rcustoms layout has an issue then? I have a layout like yours but throughhole, maybe I should try it? Do you have any sound demos using the correct gain pot?

If I could increase the gain by about 50% on the rcustoms build it would be about right...

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

Once again:

That is the problem!!!

I am not even sure how it is letting any signal through at all! I imagine IC1A can only let a faint signal through and kill the signal to noise ratio

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

jymaze wrote:Once again:

That is the problem!!!

I am not even sure how it is letting any signal through at all! I imagine IC1A can only let a faint signal through and kill the signal to noise ratio
sorry guys my mistake
here the new one
layout final.pdf
(25.73 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

jymaze
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jymaze »

Thanks RC, but it is not correct again.

On your previous layout, the track going to 2 was supposed to go to 3, and the track going to 3 was supposed to go to 2. Pins 2 and 3 are not tied together.

Basically you can revert the + and - input on IC1A in your schematic and update your rat nest in Eagle, you will see the difference.

IC1A needs to be wired as an inverter.

Thanks for your help on the layout!

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

jymaze wrote:Thanks RC, but it is not correct again.

On your previous layout, the track going to 2 was supposed to go to 3, and the track going to 3 was supposed to go to 2. Pins 2 and 3 are not tied together.

Basically you can revert the + and - input on IC1A in your schematic and update your rat nest in Eagle, you will see the difference.

IC1A needs to be wired as an inverter.

Thanks for your help on the layout!

oops ,yeah my ratsnets fail.see this one
layout final ver 3.pdf
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
please check for more mistakes ,to correct all of then
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)