Amptweaker - Tight Metal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Amptweaker - Tight Metal

Postby Ichabod_Crane » 28 Oct 2018, 20:07

I'm shocked! Nevertheless, there are many people who buy on tayda :shock:

As you said, maybe there's nothing to do with my issue, but after this I don't know if I can buy IC, transistors or diodes from Tayda.
We are in off topic but actually, I noticed that 2N5088 and 2N5089 are never over 260 hfe. Or 1N914 from Tayda looks different from the ones from Musikding.
Ichabod_Crane
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby Ichabod_Crane » 03 Nov 2018, 15:45

I did just one attempt to mod the volume. I didn't consider the resistor on the board, because (holy crap!) they are correct.
I insert a flying resistor between the lug 3 of the VOlume and the wire. A 47k. And it seems work fine! :D The volume is lower and I can't hear eny difference in the sound (Should I?). I'll calibrate a bit the amount of the resistence, but finally it should fix this weird issue.

Thanks to all, and thanks again for the trick, marshmellow! :wink:

Now, I have to handle the Scoop Pot mod, because following the Aeons schematic I had some problem, instead if I move the 220nF cap close to the 47nF (or where the 100nF original caps were) I can get the expected result.

I just change my mind about the charge pump. I misunderstood this detail, I thought the original has it, but probably not.
What benefit should the charge pump give to it? I think more dynamic and definition? But I think also less gain, even if the Tight metal has tons of it.
If I don't find any reason good enough for my taste probably I'll make the charge pump for another pedal.
Ichabod_Crane
Breadboard Brother

Postby Ichabod_Crane » 13 Nov 2018, 16:57

Hi, I still have to try better the resistor before the Volume pot. I have the feeling that the frequency change a bit. :roll:

Menawhile, I tried again the include the Scoop pot with the same unespected result I got early.

Looking at this schematic: download/file.php?id=21886&mode=view I could say I left out C13, the trash switch and R22.
Looking at the Aeons schematic I replaced C15 with a 47nF cap getting a dark and fat sound, then I tried the 220nF, getting the trash mode of the Tight metal.
So now I include the two caps C15a 47nF that goes in the lug 1 of the Scoop pot and C15b 220nF that goes in the lug 3 of the Scoop pot. Lug 2 goes to the ground.
It's all ok when the pot is at min (0k for 47nF), but when the pot is almost at max (0k for 220nF) the sound stop to shrill how could be in the trash mode and gets dull when it's at max.
Ichabod_Crane
Breadboard Brother

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...