Earthquaker Devices - The Warden  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
aaroneous
Information

Post by aaroneous »

andreaps72 wrote:Looks better now but seems missing a resistor in parallel with C2, may be R1?
I understand that the Forest/Pale Green compressor schematics are similar, but we're not expecting them to be identical, are we?... I see that on the Forest/Pale schematics that there is a resistor and cap in parallel in this section, but I don't see that on the Warden's circuit board images.

Maybe it's these small details that set this pedal apart from its brothers.

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

Here you can find some suggestions of mmolteratx about how to modify a Pale Green to something like a EQD Warden: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 40#p228040.

Here are another nice ideas from daimondamps: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 20#p239960

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

If I remeber well, I took the output from C4/R6 junction and it sounded OK...no distortion...so, maybe something around IC1B could be wrong...in Pale Green there is no IC1B :)

Which is the role of IC1B? In my ignorant opinion, it only amplifies the compressed signal (taken after R6) mixed with some clean signal (taken after R12)...the ratio between clean and compressed signal seems to be 1:10...

Moreover, R12=10M seems to feed IC1A from the voltage divider R15/R16...but isn't too large? Have IC1A enough current ot this is the cause of distortion?

Sorry for my english and sorry for my poor electronics knowledges...all my thoughts are based on similarities with other effects that I have built :)

andreaps72
Information

Post by andreaps72 »

I did some experiments :
mounted a 78l05 to feed the Led circuit and works well, now the Led I think it's in the right range but I don't see it change the amount of light when I play.
Connected the release pot in parallel with C2, and I start to hear some compression but I can't tell if it's the rise of the amount of the distortion.

P.S. I have a lot of 1M resistors with the green band that seams blue.

andreaps72
Information

Post by andreaps72 »

everyone give up?

I tried the NSL-32 and the NSL-32SR3 with 25Mohm dark
and with the SR3 works better, less distorsion and more compression

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30
Completed builds: Zvex Woolly Mammoth
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
Crowther Hotcake (and own variations)
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

Now, for something completely different:
I love the 125B layout of this pedal! Could someone measure the PCB dimensions and positions of the middle pin of each of those Alpha pots?
Just write down the H, W, A-F measures depicted here (the picture represents the pcb):

Thanks!

leopologhost
Information

Post by leopologhost »

Anything new under the sun?
Come on people, you're so close to making this real
Keep up the good job, we're rooting for you [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif]

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

Hi guys.
The question is that I built, how the Attack and Release regulators work, do they ever sense on optical compressors with their slow Attack and Release?

MBens11
Information

Post by MBens11 »

I think the Resistor in parallel with C2 might be a 22k looking at the circuit board from the picture above that would put it in parallel with c2 and then run into the 4.7k/50k release controls into the cathode making the release pretty similar to most optical Compressor release controls I have seen

MBens11
Information

Post by MBens11 »

Cathode of the led

cniers13
Information

Post by cniers13 »

Has anyone gotten this to work? If so what circuit did you follow?

mutante
Information

Post by mutante »

No.5 Pin of 1044 - 10uF - 5mm LED - Release 50kB. LED connected to Release Pot and 10uF capacitor only. LED doesn't connected to 5089 TR or 10K resistors.

These are from my PCB of PedalPCB.

jhergonz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie and Soldano SLO100

Post by jhergonz »

mutante wrote:No.5 Pin of 1044 - 10uF - 5mm LED - Release 50kB. LED connected to Release Pot and 10uF capacitor only. LED doesn't connected to 5089 TR or 10K resistors.

I've been waitin g for the Pedal pcb schematics, thanks you for this informatiion.

is it suppose to be like this?
Attachments
thewarden_ver2.png

mutante
Information

Post by mutante »

jhergonz wrote:
mutante wrote:No.5 Pin of 1044 - 10uF - 5mm LED - Release 50kB. LED connected to Release Pot and 10uF capacitor only. LED doesn't connected to 5089 TR or 10K resistors.

I've been waitin g for the Pedal pcb schematics, thanks you for this informatiion.

Before you have to understand this - PedalPCB's schematic is different a little bit. No Zenner diode and 120R. And added 100p capacitor on input.

I checked my PCB again.

1. No.5 pin of 1044 -> GND

2. (-) 10uF -> GND
(+) 10uF -> (A) LED

3. (K) LED -> Release Pot 2&3

jhergonz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jhergonz »

mutante wrote:
jhergonz wrote:

Before you have to understand this - PedalPCB's schematic is different a little bit. No Zenner diode and 120R. And added 100p capacitor on input.

I checked my PCB again.

1. No.5 pin of 1044 -> GND

2. (-) 10uF -> GND
(+) 10uF -> (A) LED

3. (K) LED -> Release Pot 2&3
if they PedalPCB's delege compressor is different, I think it is fine, as long as if will work. By the way, thank you for sharing this information.

jhergonz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jhergonz »

how about this one? I just leave the 120R resistor and the Zener diode ... I think the LED's anode should also be connected to positive rail.
Attachments
thewarden_ver2.png

mutante
Information

Post by mutante »

jhergonz wrote:how about this one? I just leave the 120R resistor and the Zener diode ... I think the LED's anode should also be connected to positive rail.
http://pedalpcb.com/docs/Delegate.pdf

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Hello,
I have built the Warden today on veroboard (using this layout), and it works fine, only the TONE pot doesn't seem to do anything (and it suddenly cuts the signal when fully couter-clockwise).
I checked the Delegate schematic (link in the post above), and also have read the Warden user manual.

From my reading of the schematic, it seems that the tone section is a HP filter (capacitor to resistor), right?
But from the user manual, i read that " Counterclockwise is treble cut, clockwise is treble boost. The tone is nearly flat around 11 o’Clock."...
So this should be a tilt eq, right?

From my tests with my build, i'm thorn between removing the tone pot (most compressors doesn't need it), fixing it (i don't like pedals with one feature not working), or just making it brighter (i find it a bit dark).

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

... Another question :
How would you add a gain reduction indicator led in this device?
(I assume it is the right place to ask for this?)