Keeler designs Kick Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Keeler designs Kick Fuzz

Postby Nocentelli » 14 Jul 2013, 10:34

Found this :secret:

keeler kick fuzz.jpg
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks:
onebuzz (14 Jul 2013, 11:03)
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 857 times

Re: Keeler designs Kick Fuzz

Postby pz » 14 Jul 2013, 10:55

The 100k resistor at the end FF stage should go to the base of the 1st BC182 instead of the emitter (=GND).

For this message the author pz has received thanks:
Nocentelli (14 Jul 2013, 11:21)
pz
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 48 times

Postby Nocentelli » 14 Jul 2013, 10:59

Shit, I always do that. It's not like I haven't build dozens of fuzzfaces before... :slap:

keeler kick fuzz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Postby pietro_moog » 14 Jul 2013, 11:21

a FF with a booster, BM tone control and hard clipping. how does it sound? my DAM meathead deluxe has become very boring
pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 44 times

Postby Nocentelli » 14 Jul 2013, 11:32

It sounds ok, but I haven't got any BC182L, so I've gone with BC549c for Q2+3. I don't get the "low gain/gritty clean" with humbuckers - it's pretty dirty even with the gain right down low. I put another gain control on Q1 (like the "pre" control in Skreddy's lunar module - whole circuit seems to be a re-working of the lunar module with some superfluous extra bits like the bias pot and clipping diodes) which helps take the dirt down lower, but the BMP tonestack is weird because you can't reduce the bass for a lighter, more "overdrive" sound without boosting the treble.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Postby HamishR » 02 Mar 2019, 12:37

So almost 5 years later I find this thread and build the pedal. :-) I just happened to have some BC182L trannies and some 2N5088s. It's a cool fuzz - I like it a lot. The texture knob works much like most "starve" or "bias" knobs and it's effective. Overall it's quite bright so I may tweak the tone control to take off a little more hi-end. I got the overdrive tones mainly by backing off the volume a little on the guitar (Les Paul). The only other issue I have is that IT"S VERY LOUD! I reach unity with the volume barely cracked open. Maybe I'll try an audio taper volume pot.

I think it warrants a little tweakage. It's a bit ruder than a Lunar Module for me.

For this message the author HamishR has received thanks:
Nocentelli (02 Mar 2019, 14:14)
HamishR
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 33 times

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...