Keeler designs Kick Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Found this :secret:
keeler kick fuzz.jpg
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

pz
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by pz »

The 100k resistor at the end FF stage should go to the base of the 1st BC182 instead of the emitter (=GND).

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Shit, I always do that. It's not like I haven't build dozens of fuzzfaces before... :slap:
keeler kick fuzz.jpg
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pietro_moog »

a FF with a booster, BM tone control and hard clipping. how does it sound? my DAM meathead deluxe has become very boring

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

It sounds ok, but I haven't got any BC182L, so I've gone with BC549c for Q2+3. I don't get the "low gain/gritty clean" with humbuckers - it's pretty dirty even with the gain right down low. I put another gain control on Q1 (like the "pre" control in Skreddy's lunar module - whole circuit seems to be a re-working of the lunar module with some superfluous extra bits like the bias pot and clipping diodes) which helps take the dirt down lower, but the BMP tonestack is weird because you can't reduce the bass for a lighter, more "overdrive" sound without boosting the treble.

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

So almost 5 years later I find this thread and build the pedal. :-) I just happened to have some BC182L trannies and some 2N5088s. It's a cool fuzz - I like it a lot. The texture knob works much like most "starve" or "bias" knobs and it's effective. Overall it's quite bright so I may tweak the tone control to take off a little more hi-end. I got the overdrive tones mainly by backing off the volume a little on the guitar (Les Paul). The only other issue I have is that IT"S VERY LOUD! I reach unity with the volume barely cracked open. Maybe I'll try an audio taper volume pot.

I think it warrants a little tweakage. It's a bit ruder than a Lunar Module for me.