Way Huge - Green Rhino mk2  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Hi

Couple of gut shots of the mk2.
Its a fucking great bass overdrive, in my opinion.
Sounds just hunky dory on guitar of course, too, but that 100kz pot - wow - on bass.

Transisters are fairchild pn2428's
IC = an LM833N and two LF353N
orange mcc cap is a 56nF

pots

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

LaceSensor wrote:orange mcc cap is a 56nF
Are you sure it isn't 56pF?

Looks like it's parallel to the clipping diodes, so it would be equivalent to the 51pF in the Tubescreamer, right?

Doesn't MXR have a Badass OD that also has the 100 hz control on it? I think someone traced that and found add'l op amp stages. I wouldn't be surprised if these 2 pedals were very similar if not the same. Just guessing though.

Edit - just looked the Badass up, and it's a modified SD-1 type of thing like the MXR Classic OD. So it's got the 3 clipping diodes and bits and pieces that are like the Boss pedal and not the Ibanez. It also only has 2 op amps while the Green Rhino has 3. But I'd still think the 100 hz control is the same. Why would Tripps use something different?

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

I juts picked up a Green Rhino to try with my bass. I went to the store looking for an MXR Custom Badass Overdrive but they were out. This seemed close enough. The Green Rhino has the curve control which either effects the clipping or the tone (the directions are not clear). The MXR has a mid bump control that may or may not be useful (don't know because they didn't have one for me to try).

This pedal has been out for some time. It seems that because of the Dunlop connection between Way Huge and MXR that Way Huge is letting MXR take some of their ideas. I hear the new bass overdrive borrows from the Pork Loin.

My only concern is that the bypass seems to lag slightly. I may or may not be an issue for some but I generally leave my overdrives on the whole time.

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

is there a replacement for the 2n2428's?

well... Let's start tracing it!

Lace_sensor...can you upload more photos?, everything is usefull :D

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

by the way... the transistors are 2N2484? or 2N2428?

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

Bill_Mountain wrote:I juts picked up a Green Rhino to try with my bass. I went to the store looking for an MXR Custom Badass Overdrive but they were out. This seemed close enough. The Green Rhino has the curve control which either effects the clipping or the tone (the directions are not clear). The MXR has a mid bump control that may or may not be useful (don't know because they didn't have one for me to try).

This pedal has been out for some time. It seems that because of the Dunlop connection between Way Huge and MXR that Way Huge is letting MXR take some of their ideas. I hear the new bass overdrive borrows from the Pork Loin.

My only concern is that the bypass seems to lag slightly. I may or may not be an issue for some but I generally leave my overdrives on the whole time.
Since I can't edit I'd like to take back my statement about the bypass lagging. The bypass works fine it's just when it first powers up I seem to need to hit it twice to turn it on. I have no other pedals with relay bypasses (maybe my Sansamp Bass Driver???) so I'm not use to their behavior.

I like the clipping it's nice and smooth and after messing with the curve control the pedal sounds more open to the left and more compressed to the right but I still don't know what it's controlling.

I think I'm going to return it though. I have practice tomorrow and a gig Thursday so I can give it a good go but in careful listening it has a boxy (I wish I had a better word) midrange that will eventually bother me too much.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

Bill_Mountain wrote:I think I'm going to return it though. I have practice tomorrow and a gig Thursday so I can give it a good go but in careful listening it has a boxy (I wish I had a better word) midrange that will eventually bother me too much.
Sounds like it's just the inherent qualities of the Tubescreamer tone circuit. Even with the curve control, I guess you can only dial out that boxy quality so much.

I like messing with those 2 220nF caps in the tone circuit, but don't know what other stuff is in there to make the curve control function as it does.

I will sometimes put a trimpot in series with the first 220nF cap (not tied to tone pot) to lessen its effect. If that isn't enough, I may try changing its value. It's counter-intuitive that I may actually go bigger in value than 220nF. So if you can reduce the low pass filter below 700Hz a bit but alter so that it's cutting less than 6dB/octave slope, you might lessen the boxiness. I think that pedals with an actual knob to adjust this tend to call it a presence control or something similar to that. I just think of it as an "unboxiness control." :lol:

But if the pedal's under warranty, I'm guessing you don't want to resort to that.

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

MoonWatcher wrote:
Bill_Mountain wrote:I think I'm going to return it though. I have practice tomorrow and a gig Thursday so I can give it a good go but in careful listening it has a boxy (I wish I had a better word) midrange that will eventually bother me too much.
Sounds like it's just the inherent qualities of the Tubescreamer tone circuit. Even with the curve control, I guess you can only dial out that boxy quality so much.

I like messing with those 2 220nF caps in the tone circuit, but don't know what other stuff is in there to make the curve control function as it does.

I will sometimes put a trimpot in series with the first 220nF cap (not tied to tone pot) to lessen its effect. If that isn't enough, I may try changing its value. It's counter-intuitive that I may actually go bigger in value than 220nF. So if you can reduce the low pass filter below 700Hz a bit but alter so that it's cutting less than 6dB/octave slope, you might lessen the boxiness. I think that pedals with an actual knob to adjust this tend to call it a presence control or something similar to that. I just think of it as an "unboxiness control." :lol:

But if the pedal's under warranty, I'm guessing you don't want to resort to that.
I try to like most tube screamer-ish circuits but since I'm not going into a quad of 6l6's then they always leave me a little flat. I thought it would pair up with with the deep mid scoop of my Bass Driver but I just can't unhear the midrange. It could very well be my bass too. I have this problem with a lot of pedals. On to the next one. I will say that the clipping is nicer than most TS's I've played. The only one I liked more was a Carl Martin Plexitone but the price was too much for me.

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

I played this last night at band practice and my band and I could not tell a real difference between this and my Mesa Bottle Rocket!

I still haven't decided if I'm keeping it or not but in a band setting it's indistinguishable from a tube overdrive. I think the 100 Hz control helps a lot.

I'm shit at tracing circuits but if there's any more detail I could provide I'd be glad to help.

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Hi

Timely; here are a bunch more photos for parts identification.

Orange cap = 56pF
Small electro - 1uF
Largest electro = 100uF
other electro = 10uF
Transistors Pn2484

Regards

LS

crguti
Information

Post by crguti »

stack this pedal into a BDDI and start melting faces :twisted:

Bill_Mountain
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Bill_Mountain »

crguti wrote:stack this pedal into a BDDI and start melting faces :twisted:
Indeed. That's my preferred use of TS style pedals.

YellowBoy
Information

Post by YellowBoy »

For completeness sake.

Traced this awhile ago and posted to TagboardFX.
Attachments
WH Green Rhino 2.png