Dumbloid  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Dumbloid

Postby Coma » 09 Sep 2014, 14:53

Instead of going through 23 pages....is the Dumbloid pedal Close to the CJOD? I've built a few of those already.
Coma

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby thesmokingman » 09 Sep 2014, 17:28

pretty much ... :roll:
thesmokingman

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby MoonWatcher » 09 Sep 2014, 17:54

Coma wrote:Instead of going through 23 pages....is the Dumbloid pedal Close to the CJOD? I've built a few of those already.

I'd have to say actually no, because it doesn't really use clipping diodes like the CJOD does, even if there are other YATS similarities.

You'd need a YATS with a no clipping diode setting to have a better idea if it really is that close to CJOD.

It's also been mentioned that the Dumbloid has a really low input impedance. I wouldn't discount the effect of that so much. How often do you see a YATS like that? This is the first instance I'm aware of even if it was probably a mistake.
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby AlienSexGod » 11 Jul 2015, 20:01

mirosol wrote:Yup. The crappy decay is a feature. Which rather funnily makes not only a slight TS derivative, but a bad TS derivative.

Ok but have we 100% this....the original Dumbloid has crappy decay also not sure I heard that on various tube clips?

Is there anyone with some clone boards made up or does there need to be another run for mid 2015? I'd put in for a few. 8)
AlienSexGod

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby AlienSexGod » 11 Jul 2015, 20:37

OK I found where to order the boards (so many pages ... so little sleep OMG!)
In case someone else is looking order boards here!

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/HOGyoUdG

If someone could link where the schematic is and provide any recommendations on the build, in one place, that would be great ! :P

For this message the author AlienSexGod has received thanks: 2
ilshat (02 May 2016, 07:32), Manfred (11 Jul 2015, 23:15)
AlienSexGod

Have thanks: 2 times

Dumboid clone fail

Postby casey73 » 15 Jul 2015, 04:44

My first post here. I stumbled on the Dumbloid/Big Bloom phenom late last year. The samples I saw on youtube sounded pretty okay. I built mine on a tonepad ts-808 board since I've built quite a few TS varients and have several unused boards. I used the tonepad schematic that had the new Dumbloid values in it. I fired it up this morning, and gotta say I"m pretty disappointed. The tone control has very little effect at all and the voicing control seems only to work from about 2 - 5 o'clock. And, it has lots of gain and distortion, but it really doesn't sound good and has what appears to be a common issue, and nasty farty decay.

So did I do something wrong or is that just the nature of the breast?
casey73

Re: Dumboid clone fail

Postby 1oldsidewinder » 31 Jul 2015, 06:39

casey73 wrote:My first post here. I stumbled on the Dumbloid/Big Bloom phenom late last year. The samples I saw on youtube sounded pretty okay. I built mine on a tonepad ts-808 board since I've built quite a few TS varients and have several unused boards. I used the tonepad schematic that had the new Dumbloid values in it. I fired it up this morning, and gotta say I"m pretty disappointed. The tone control has very little effect at all and the voicing control seems only to work from about 2 - 5 o'clock. And, it has lots of gain and distortion, but it really doesn't sound good and has what appears to be a common issue, and nasty farty decay.

So did I do something wrong or is that just the nature of the breast?

If the taper of your pots is correct, I'd probably say nature of the beast. If you're interested in some lower gain "D" pedal tones, you might try cutting the gain of the first stage using something like .1uf/3k9 ohms at the HP filter. The op-amp won't be pushed as hard and it will help with the nasty decay. The second stage can then be tuned by replacing the 3mm LED with a lower vF diode like a 1N4148 or something since it will be getting hit with a lot less gain from the first stage. I've had pretty good success using this approach in my SD-1 mods but there may be a little more involved with an actual Dumbloid. It's a starting place, anyway...
1oldsidewinder

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby indyguitarist » 27 Aug 2016, 15:25

Coma wrote:Instead of going through 23 pages....is the Dumbloid pedal Close to the CJOD? I've built a few of those already.

sorta. looks like it's here: download/file.php?id=23613&mode=view
indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby peterc » 08 Jun 2018, 15:10

Hi all

I got a pair of the Oshpark pcbs and am really looking forward to trying this pedal out.

The component overlay on p14 of this thread does not seem to match the circuit numbering. Does anyone have a build doc for it?

Many thanks
Peter
peterc

Postby peterc » 09 Jun 2018, 08:59

Managed to get it done......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...