Bondi Effects - Sick As Overdrive

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Any body got it? Have some gutshots? I saw it once and think this is modified Klon. Reviews are great.

pappasmurfsharem
Information

Post by pappasmurfsharem »

beedotman wrote:[ Image ]
Any body got it? Have some gutshots? I saw it once and think this is modified Klon. Reviews are great.
*In before it's a Timmy*

commathe
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by commathe »

I like the graphics. It's nice to see something that is aesthetically pleasing for once.

joe_pineapple
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: eden highwayman
Completed builds: woolish mammoth, a variety of germanium and silicon fuzz factories, machine, parallel universe, random # generator, dirty sanchez, swamp thang, SHO, DLS, peach fuzz, cream puff, prunes and custard, red llamalike,

Post by joe_pineapple »

commathe wrote:I like the graphics. It's nice to see something that is aesthetically pleasing for once.
looks like a Frantone :!:
"..the finished product is just the garbage left over from the work." R.G. Keen

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

gutshot, very nice and clean
Attachments
bondi.jpg
bondi.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 6037 times

pappasmurfsharem
Information

Post by pappasmurfsharem »

atreidesheir wrote:nice bypass.
not a Timmy.
Hmm "Powerful Active EQ"

So what then a tube screamer with a baxandal?

I am a little confused with the dual gang pot. I assume the switch either changes the diodes or moves the gangs in and out of series or a combo of both.

Probably not why bother with a dual gang pot then?

The Description on the site says alot:

Features
· Hand-selected audiophile components (Probably a BurrBrown Chip)
· Two unique voices of natural tube-like overdrive (Switches clipping diodes or resistance)
· Ultra-transparent clean boost (Whatever)
· Powerful active EQ controls capable of up to 15dB of boost or cut. (Active Baxandall)
· Can operate as a clean boost, overdrive, or a blend of the two.
· Voltage boosted internally to an 18 volt spread for increased headroom and clarity. (Charge Pump)
· Soft-Touch True Bypass (Relay)

skywise
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by skywise »

joe_pineapple wrote:
commathe wrote:I like the graphics. It's nice to see something that is aesthetically pleasing for once.
looks like a Frantone :!:
That's exactly what I was thinking. That thing screams "Frantone".

Mbas974
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Mbas974 »

Is it a relay bypass ?

what are the op-amp used ? Ican't read from pics.

triplesevener
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1986 Gallien-Krueger 400RB
Completed builds: BYOC 2-knob compressor
Klon Buffer
Devi Ever Ruby, OK, Hyperion
EP-boost->Modded SD1
Meathead
Hunny Bunny
Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass (excellent)
Zendrive
Big Muffs (Russian, P19, Jordan Creator, Jumbo Tonebender)
Lots of other miscellaneous pedals that aren't worth mentionin

Post by triplesevener »

Mbas974 wrote:Is it a relay bypass ?

what are the op-amp used ? Ican't read from pics.
Definitely Burr Brown, so I'm going to guess OPA2134. Look at the silkscreen for the dual gang (CLEAN/GAIN). That screams Klon based.

bondieffects
Information

Post by bondieffects »

Hey guys,

First off let me just say I'm seriously flattered that you guys are curious, I started out in DIY, as just about everyone does.

My design really isn't that complex or impressive so I figure if you want to figure it out I'm sure you guys will really quickly. That said I do make a living off of this and contrary to popular belief we builders are not all bajilionaires. You guys may feel differently but as flattered as I am and i sincerely appreciate the kind words about build quality and aesthetics, I do have a family to feed and would appreciate if you can wait until I am a bajilionaire before you start posting schematics and building clones.

Sorry if this is adding to the noise, I know I'm sort of the opposition in this case.

Thanks regardless!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

welcome to the forum bondieffects.

have a nosey round this place, it's a wealth of knowledge, you'll also find several pleas from various builders with the same concern. the response is overwhelmingly "if a hobby site posting schematics is going to stop you feeding your family, you're in the wrong business". there's no malice here, only a thirst for knowledge and the type of person who'll build a clone of your pedal is the type of person who'd buy yours anyway (out of respect) or would never have bought one in the first place.

feel free to post the schematics yourself though.. you'll get credit where it's due :thumbsup ...
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

I've found that the best way to prevent the community here from actually reversing your designs is to be as open as possible, ie describe the design as a block diagram. Most people just want to know what/how its done, not necessarily to make themselves one. Wampler does this a lot, drops hints and explains the block diagram picture.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

bondieffects
Information

Post by bondieffects »

you'll also find several pleas from various builders with the same concern. the response is overwhelmingly "if a hobby site posting schematics is going to stop you feeding your family, you're in the wrong business". there's no malice here, only a thirst for knowledge and the type of person who'll build a clone of your pedal is the type of person who'd buy yours anyway (out of respect) or would nave have bought one in the first place.
I can appreciate that, and for the most part I agree. I really do see where your coming from, since I myself was in that position not too long ago. I could plead my case further but I doubt that would do any good. This is a DIY forum and not a builders one after all.
Most people just want to know what/how its done, not necessarily to make themselves one. Wampler does this a lot, drops hints and explains the block diagram picture.
If it's block diagrams your after pappasmurfsharem has basically got it. Nothing fancy, just a unique incorporation of old ideas. It's pretty tough to come up with an original way to clip a diode, my intent was more just to put together some ideas that hadnt been done in this configuration if that makes sense.

Thanks guys!

ubersam
Information

Post by ubersam »

pappasmurfsharem wrote:
atreidesheir wrote:nice bypass.
not a Timmy.
I am a little confused with the dual gang pot. I assume the switch either changes the diodes or moves the gangs in and out of series or a combo of both.

Probably not why bother with a dual gang pot then?
I'm guessing that the dual gang is wired similarly to the way a blend pot in a bass is wired up. When in blend mode, you get more of the gain sound and less clean going CW, and the reverse going CCW.

newly
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by newly »

softclick sw...nice

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

- BurrBrown Chip is in there... and the other IC looks like a sort of texas instruments (excuse my bad english)
- What about the Diodes used at the charge pump or polarity protection?
- It looks like the HILO Switch involves some capactior change besides the clipping Diodes

JustJeff
Information

Post by JustJeff »

bondieffects wrote: I can appreciate that, and for the most part I agree. I really do see where your coming from, since I myself was in that position not too long ago. I could plead my case further but I doubt that would do any good. This is a DIY forum and not a builders one after all.
If it's block diagrams your after pappasmurfsharem has basically got it. Nothing fancy, just a unique incorporation of old ideas. It's pretty tough to come up with an original way to clip a diode, my intent was more just to put together some ideas that hadnt been done in this configuration if that makes sense.

Thanks guys!
Hey Bondi

I'm not a builder. I'm not a tinkerer nor a DIYer. I come here to read about how guys are doing things. When a pedal is getting a lot of run in forums, I come here to see what is making it tick. If it is just another TubeScreamer, I no longer need to hear it. Sometimes it's a pedal that is commanding crazy money and it is nothing more than two Marshall Guv'nors in one box, I find it novel but lose interest.

I tell you that because the Sick As has been getting a lot of good comments and I came here to see if it is another over-hyped repackage. Apparently you're doing something a little different. I'll be buying one. For the record: these guys sold it.

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

Found this on google...

It uses BB OPA 2134, blue diodes are BAT 46...
Attachments
ba3.jpg
ba3.jpg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
ba2.jpg
ba.jpg

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Just a guess:
A clean boost and an overdrive circuit that combines zendrive clipping with timmy tone controls, followed by a summing amp

newly
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by newly »

Thot it is a klon genere?