Way Huge - Fat Sandwich  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a message of this kind (moderators, excusme if I am at the wrong place)

Has anyone heard the new Way Huge Fat Sandwich Sound Clips?

http://www.wayhuge.com/FatSandwich.htm

What do you think?
I personally liked them enough to want to get one.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

I though this was some intresting info... dont know how true it is. Maybe mr. huge can clear it up if he makes a visit.

the cut and paste below is from this link :

ruk777 says:
Devin, I have inside connections to Way Huge. here is the deal: NAMM was last weekend. The Way Huge name was liscenced to Dunlop for either 3 or 5 years, not sure. They are currently releasing 3 WH pedals. The Fat Sanwich, the Swolen Pickle "MOCH-TWO" (with extra knobs and a battery door) and a third that is called something they had not released before. Now, they will NOT be releasing a delay at this time and if they ever do, it will be NOTHING like the AquaPuss, which used NOS BBD chips, the Panasonic MN3005 chip. They have not been made for over a decade and Jeorge had a hard enough time finding 300 of them along with the 3101s that are also in the Aqua.
ALSO, and most importantly, in classic Dunlop style, these pedals will be stamped out in mass productiuon mode and available at your friendly neighborhood Guitar Center. I.E. "made in China (Maylasia)....They will NOT be able to have the intence quality control that Jeorge Tripps had in his Garage in Sherman Oaks, where he also had his hands on every single pedal he put out. In short, these will not be anywhere near the quality of the original WH pedals. Yes, they will be in the same pretty colored aluminum anodized chassis, but a look at the circuit board will tell all. These will be much more similar to a Line 6 pedal than a Way Huge.
If you want a delay that is as close to an AquaPuss that you can get, I highly recommend the old 1980s Ibanez/Maxon AD-80. It is the ONLY delay that comes close and is in fact warmer in tone. Actually, most people think the AquaPuss is a clone of the Boss DM-2 (ALL WH pedals are a clone of something else), when in fact, the AquaPuss is a clone of the AD-80. Yes, the Aqua is one HELL of a delay and sounds incredible, but Dunlop will NEVER EVER be able to match the quality of the original WHs and if they ever do a delay, it will be an analog modeling pedal, like the Live 6 Echo Park, which is actually not a bad pedal by itself. It's just that those cheap ass circuits from Boss and Line 6 tend to create noise in the signal chain when you line a few up.
In closing, they will NEVER release an AquaPuss worthy of the name. I doubt they ever will try, but if they do, it will be a poor imitation.
Bottom line: Jeorge Tripps has sold out for the almighty dollar. but, don't fret, he still makes a couple pedals here and there and his wife sells them through her Ebay account. Sell out, but I'm sure I would do the same. But, the funny thing is that the new DUNLOP WH pedals will be a clone of a clone......unreal. But the real thing, an Ibanez AD-80.
-peace

cbriere
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cbriere »

They show the inner components of this pedal on the video.

https://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?ima ... ichdw8.jpg

there is LOTS of components for a two gain stages.. :hmmm:

kleinberger
Information

Post by kleinberger »

cbriere wrote:They show the inner components of this pedal on the video.

https://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?ima ... ichdw8.jpg

there is LOTS of components for a two gain stages.. :hmmm:
The big chip on the right is the same from the Red Llama. CD4049ub

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I am absolutely impressed by the new Way Huge stuff. Mr. Tripps and the guys at Dunlop did a top notch job on the whole new line and folks should look to it for inspiration for how a quality effect should be made.
:D
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

platinum321
Information

Post by platinum321 »

I bought the Fat Sandwich and have had it for about 4 days now. I love it the first time I played through one was at Guitar Center.
I love the sound of the dern thing and out of all my overdrive/distortion pedals this might be my favorite so far. The harmonics
you can get are extremely rich. and dialed in properly this thing just sings.

Play one in a nice amp before you say anything because all I can say is WOW!

I own the Wampler Pinacle another "Brown Sound Pedal" as a comparison they are different but both achieve an amazing tone.
I am not going to say one is better because they achieve a slightly different sound one from the other.

That being said the Harmonic Saturator "Fat Sandwich is more versatile especially for tweakers as they have internal controls which are readily
gotten to by using the rubber foot pads to unscrew the chasis. And quick . .

Very nice pedal blues to Van Whalen.

Dunlop in my opinion did a great job. For fun visit YouTube and look up Dunlop than find Jeorge Tripps he and some guitar fellow are demoing them.

As an aside I did not like the Sollen Pickle but than I am not a fuzzy kind of guy in the first place. I found it a bit harsh. However I did not spend a lot of time
with the pedal. I spent time with the Fatty because I imediately liked the tone once plugged in unlike the Swollen Peni I mean Pickle. LOL

Merry Christmas by the way.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Come on you're a photographer, crack it open and take some pics! :mrgreen:
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

Any chances to see the guts?
Well yes, just found this. :D

Regards,
Mariusz.
Attachments
Way Huge Fat Sandwich guts
Way Huge Fat Sandwich guts

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Looks like a 4049BCN in there, but it's a bit hard to make out.

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

It would be great if someone who have this pedal can take some pictures of both sides of the pcb.

Regards,
Mariusz.

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

ok what did ya'll do to make yours sound like the clips i found a solution to it sell it sell it sell it sell it. i played this on 20 different amps and never got a decent sound out of it. luckily for me it was a gift. but then again maybe mine was defective i see trim pots inside on the pics

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

just got one of these for $65 and it is AWESOME. I will take pictures when I have more time, but I think its safe to say that it is an opamp clipper driving a series of 4049/4069 Inverters. The Presence and Resonance appear to be a Baxandall-type EQ. The Tone control is a simple roll off.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Oh please do it! :applause:
Think there are plenty of us intrested in this pedal.

Thank you in advance! :thumbsup

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

ok. leaving on a trip today. will post pictures next week. I wish I knew where the way huge cases were available at for my own line.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

coldcraft wrote:ok. leaving on a trip today. will post pictures next week. I wish I knew where the way huge cases were available at for my own line.
Custom made for Dunlop. You can go to any metal shop and have them do something similar for not a whole lot of money.

chicago_mike
Tube Twister
Information

Post by chicago_mike »

WANT WANT WANT!!!!! :horsey:
Skyline FX 2013

jubal81
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jubal81 »

Watching this one. I've been curious about the FS for years.

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Ive owned one for a long while didnt think anyone would be interested in it.
Come to think of it I have a bunch of the dunlop WH line

Green Rhino
Fat Sammich
Swollen Pickle
Angry Troll
Pork Loin
Supa Puss
Ringworm

Let me know if you wanna see any other guts

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Great!

I am also very interested on the pork loin + green rhino!

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

+1 on pork loin