Dunlop - Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face Mini FFM6

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

New fuzz from Dunlop, ugly enclosure ('couse it's small) but can be interesting. Anybody have it? Some gut shots please?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I'm guessing that it's same as, if not similar, to the turquoise BC108C Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face that Dunlop manufacture, but it sounds to me that they might have tweaked the circuit a bit, would be interesting to see what's inside one of these though...... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

nice switch pop at the end

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

Is supposed to be an Octavia circuit but without the octave-up. I always hated that skronky sound from "Purple Haze," but it is unique at least.

FuzzMonkey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Skreddy wrote:Is supposed to be an Octavia circuit but without the octave-up. I always hated that skronky sound from "Purple Haze," but it is unique at least.
So similar to a Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz then?

es-347
Information

Post by es-347 »

Nudity!
Attachments
DSC08797.JPG

es-347
Information

Post by es-347 »

500k volume, 1k fuzz. 3 transistors. One diode. SMT resistors and a bunch of caps.

FuzzMonkey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FuzzMonkey »

es-347 wrote:Nudity!
Nice!

warioblast
Information

Post by warioblast »

:horsey:

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

Any good hearted guy boldly tracing it around?

thank you

Axeman.Bodie
Information

Post by Axeman.Bodie »

Great Pedal! I love it. Cleans up real nice when you roll down the volume.
Quite different from other Fuzz Face pedals being based off the Octavio circuit minus the octave.
BC108's for transistors. Sounds best with a stack.

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Axeman.Bodie wrote:Great Pedal! I love it. Cleans up real nice when you roll down the volume.
Quite different from other Fuzz Face pedals being based off the Octavio circuit minus the octave.
What are you vomitting about ? Too much dope today ?

There is not a single Fuzz Face out there based on the Octavio circuit, otherwise it wouldn't be a Fuzz Face. And a Fuzz Face circuit is totally different from an Octavio circuit.
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

Axeman.Bodie
Information

Post by Axeman.Bodie »

tube-exorcist wrote:
Axeman.Bodie wrote:Great Pedal! I love it. Cleans up real nice when you roll down the volume.
What are you vomitting about ? Too much dope today ?

There is not a single Fuzz Face out there based on the Octavio circuit, otherwise it wouldn't be a Fuzz Face. And a Fuzz Face circuit is totally different from an Octavio circuit.
I'll excuse your shitty attitude, but you couldn't be more wrong. Look up anything about this pedal and they'll tell you this Fuzz Face was based off the Octavio circuit because they were unable to match Jimi's BOG tone with conventional Fuzz Face circuits. If you're going to be an asshole, at least be correct.

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Now let's see:

If you have a tube and someone writes "transistor" on it, does that mean that it is a transistor or still a tube ?

If someone writes "clever" on your forehead, does that prove that you are really clever ?

And if a company takes a red box, writes "Fuzz Face" on it, does that proof that there is really a Fuzz Face circuit inside ?

For clarification:
This is neither "The Gear Page" nor a Dunlop-promo-forum where nonsense is spreaded. This is a technical forum and we are talking here about - you got it - CIRCUITS. And the Fuzz-Face-CIRCUIT - not something in a red box with Fuzz Face written on it - is a uniqe circuit with 2 transistors:
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/f ... fftech.htm

It was introduced and produced by Arbiter, Dallas Arbiter or Dallas Music Instruments:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_Face

Got it ? Really ? I am so proud of you.....
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

With all due respect, all he said was that this pedal is different from the other pedals with 'Fuzz Face' written on them since it's based on a different circuit, and that he likes it. It seems that you agree with him, at least about the first part. I don't understand what you're so upset about. He wasn't the one who decided to write 'Fuzz Face' on the box. I get the impression that you misread his post.

cerelac
Information

Post by cerelac »

ANy ideas on how did dunlop achieve positive ground FF AND ability to daisychain too? ..using something like the MAX1044?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Yes, a "voltage inverter" using a 1044 or 7660 will allow this
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

cerelac wrote:ANy ideas on how did dunlop achieve positive ground FF AND ability to daisychain too? ..using something like the MAX1044?
You don't need to. The "inverted" Fuzz-Face is a well-known circuit. However - this one uses NPN transistors so doesn't require anything smart.

Incidentally, the one of these I saw is just a silicon fuzz face - using up some stock of old metal canned silicon transistors (because you can't get the tones out of plastic). It has a couple of base to collector capacitors to roll the worst of the top end off, and has a lowered feedback resistor with a bypass capacitor. It's really nothing special, and should retail at about $24.99 - they'd still be making several thousand percent on their manufacturing costs!

I simply can't believe the stupidity of guitar effects purchasers. Churn out a piece of sub-standard crap, stick a "brand-name" on it, claim that it has some connection with a great old recording ("sounds just like....") and profit spectacularly! You can make even more mark-up if you get some "star" guitarist to endorse it.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"