Seppuku - Fuzz Overloader

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

seppuku fuzz overloader.

since the spacefuzz went down so well i thought that this might be worth a look.

i spoke to the owner this evening and they are cool about reposting pics on other sites and they also confirmed that the four transistors are 2n5088, so am guessing a muff of sorts.

anyway, it sounds rough and ready in a monsterous way, and the gut shots are pretty much all there, components and traces.

so if you are interested...
---dead links removed----

tabbycat.

Moonsun
Information
Completed builds: Ultralord, Sunface, Crimson Drive, modded Big Muff, Engineer's Thumb, Rat, Gator, Love Squeeze

Post by Moonsun »

Can you shot the board like this?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

tabbycat wrote: four transistors are 2n5088, so am guessing a muff of sorts
No (visible) diodes.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Yikes! Horribble looking wire job, and sloppy soldering!
Let's get this show on the road ;) Here's the trace side cut free:
seppuku_trace.jpg
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

And here's top and trace side together...
seppuku_1.jpg
---

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

@grrrunge many thanks for the photoshoppery, grrrunge. looks great. you beat me to it. will play with values and pics tonight. the soldering certainly is chronic. but that's fairly typical of some of his early stuff. seppuku is the new dba in many respects...

@moonsun, it's not my pedal so i can't take the lit pcb shots myself, but the owner may well be up for identifying the wima values and any rougue bits tht defy decryption by eye and simple deduction. he's a good guy and has already confimed a ton of questions i had about tranny and chip combos in a lot of other seppukus, so am reluctant to ask for more atm. hopefully we can get pretty much there with what we have.

anyway, the reason is posted this one for consideration now is that i'm curious as to whether it may be related to the non-ic half of spacefuzz (whose mysteries have just been unravelled elsewhere in the boutique section here).

as i said in a post in the spacefuzz thread, i read somewhere (old seppuku site, i think) that the spacefuzz was an extension of the seppuku octave drone. hadn't seen any octave drone board images to confirm that until yesterday, but now they have appeared (will maybe post/link here later) it does look to me (no expert, as you know) to be pretty close to the ic half of the spacefuzz (already identified by moonsun as pretty much escobedo's 'rambler).

so i had been thinking that the spacefuzz must be half octave drone (now we know, rambler) and half seppuku acid fuzz, which was his main fuzz before he released this one. but having heard this fuzz overdriver for the first time last night (yt clip below, appears at 4m00s) it reminds me far more of the spacefuzz' fullness than the acid fuzz demos i've seen. acid fuzz seems almost tame and old-school in comparison. so maybe the spacefuzz is half rambler and half the business end of this? just an idea, basd on what i hear. alas no shots of the acid fuzz are out there yet to rule it in or out.
the spacefuzz also seems to use the same graphics, which might put them together chronologically.

fuzz overloader appears in this clip at 4m00s (only clip of it on the net i think). do not adjust your set...

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

I found a scribbly scrabbly app for my ipad, so here's scribbly scrabbly stuff for everyone...
image.jpg
---

OH!STOMPBOX!
Information

Post by OH!STOMPBOX! »

and there was this one with the toggles. sorry, no guts :cry: .
Attachments
Fuzz Overloader Bass & Treble Toggles.png

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

So... This happened:
seppuku_2.jpg
Any thoughts?
---

Moonsun
Information
Completed builds: Ultralord, Sunface, Crimson Drive, modded Big Muff, Engineer's Thumb, Rat, Gator, Love Squeeze

Post by Moonsun »

Yep! But you forgot about this yellow MLC. As I see this, it goes from Q2 base to ground. Can you confirm?

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

grrrunge wrote:So... This happened...
Any thoughts?
reminds me a bit of devi's 'aenima / torn's peaker'. maybe it's just a superficial resemblance.

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

some of the resistors are only half visible but someone may be able to make a reasonable guess at what they might be from half the code assuming they are common values. i don't know the codes well enough yet to be able to do that yet so have only gone for full codes where i could see them.
fuzz overloader values copy.jpg
these cap values are fairly clear
sepp fo caps.jpg
this one less so. guessed at 10uf?
sepp fo caps2.jpg

Moonsun
Information

Post by Moonsun »

Here what comes yesterday, was a little busy. Still missing those WIMA, yellow MLC and resistors values.
Seppuku Fuzz Overdriver pre-layout.png

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Moonsun wrote:Yep! But you forgot about this yellow MLC. As I see this, it goes from Q2 base to ground. Can you confirm?
It's not forgotten. As i see it, it is connected from V+ to GND before the 10R resistor, but the image is not very clear in that spot, so i could be wrong. 8)
---

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Here's what we have so far:
seppuku_fuzz_overloader_rev_0.2.png
I agree the yellow ceramic should go from base to ground on Q2 ;)
The last electrolytic is clearly a 2µ2
The first WIMA cap looks like a 470n, but i'm not totally sure on that one. That series of caps go to 5mm width around 330n or 470n, and the side stamps are given in µF. This one has a visible 0 as the first digit, indicating a 0.x µF value, and i think i spot the top of a 4 in there :D

Now we're just waiting for more gut shots to show up :)
---

UglyCasanova
Information

Post by UglyCasanova »

Hi! I'm the owner of the pedal. I don't know much about what's going on inside pedals, but if you let me know what you're looking for (you probably have to explain it the way you would a child), I'm here to help.

UglyCasanova
Information

Post by UglyCasanova »

Two more pictures.

I don't know if these are a given, but the rest of the red block says '100-'. The same goes for the one next to it with its back turned. And the back of that small yellow thingy it says 104.

Moonsun
Information

Post by Moonsun »

UglyCasanova wrote:Hi! I'm the owner of the pedal. I don't know much about what's going on inside pedals, but if you let me know what you're looking for (you probably have to explain it the way you would a child), I'm here to help.
Hi! Thanks for all these shots, so WIMA's 180nF and treble rolloff ceramic is 3.3nF and not 33pf and MLC is 100nF. If you take a look to traced board I've post earlier, you will see the components that does not have a values on it, just names. Specifically R2, R3, R5, R7 - this is what we need. Hope this helps.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

UglyCasanova wrote:Hi! I'm the owner of the pedal. I don't know much about what's going on inside pedals, but if you let me know what you're looking for (you probably have to explain it the way you would a child), I'm here to help.
You, sir, are a true gentleman!

Now all we need is the last couple of resistor values.
If you look at the image from this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26047#p249905 could you get us images or just list the color band readings from R2, R3, R5, R6 and R7 ? They should all have four color bands, with the last one being gold ;)

Also, if you're not afraid to remove a few bolts, the value of the pots is printed on the backside. A shot of that side of the board would be cool to have, just for reference.

That would be bloody awesome mate! Thanks in advance :cheers
---

UglyCasanova
Information

Post by UglyCasanova »

I'll see what I can do! I'm off to play in a few minutes, and this is on my board, so no further dissection for the time being. My board is pretty heavy and I have a gig on Wednesday too, so I might not bring it home with me before Thurday. We'll see!

And my pleasure, gentlemen. This fuzz is yummy. More people should be able to try it. :thumbsup