EarthQuaker Devices - Hoof Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: EarthQuaker Devices - Hoof Fuzz

Postby bato001 » 17 Mar 2017, 18:41

icziko wrote:
basicchannel wrote:
andregarcia57 wrote:The original leds are 3mm clear red?


Yes.

[ Image ]


Question: During play, can You see flashing all D1-D4 diodes or only D3-D4?


Clipping diodes, even LEDs, do not normally light up at all.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage
User avatar
bato001
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 22:31
Location: NJ
Has thanked: 45 times
Have thanks: 55 times

Re: EarthQuaker Devices - Hoof Fuzz

Postby icziko » 17 Mar 2017, 19:18

bato001 wrote:
icziko wrote:
basicchannel wrote:
andregarcia57 wrote:The original leds are 3mm clear red?


Yes.

[ Image ]


Question: During play, can You see flashing all D1-D4 diodes or only D3-D4?


Clipping diodes, even LEDs, do not normally light up at all.


Thanks Bato.
D3 and D4 diodes light up only when I hit strings. When strings are muted D3 and D4 are not lighten up. I would say that even D1 and D2 are lightening up during strumming but only slightly and it depends of Sustain knob adjustment. More sustain = more D1 and D2 light up.
If this "phenomenon" does not have place in original Hoof Fuzz than there is something wrong with my built unit.
Thx
icziko
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 21:22
Has thanked: 3 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: EarthQuaker Devices - Hoof Fuzz

Postby bato001 » 17 Mar 2017, 20:22

icziko wrote:
bato001 wrote:
icziko wrote:
basicchannel wrote:
andregarcia57 wrote:The original leds are 3mm clear red?


Yes.

[ Image ]


Question: During play, can You see flashing all D1-D4 diodes or only D3-D4?


Clipping diodes, even LEDs, do not normally light up at all.


Thanks Bato.
D3 and D4 diodes light up only when I hit strings. When strings are muted D3 and D4 are not lighten up. I would say that even D1 and D2 are lightening up during strumming but only slightly and it depends of Sustain knob adjustment. More sustain = more D1 and D2 light up.
If this "phenomenon" does not have place in original Hoof Fuzz than there is something wrong with my built unit.
Thx


Make sure you don't have a solder bridge at the solder pad where the leds go into the cap on those diodes. It's not impossible for clippers to lite up, but it's not the norm.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

For this message the author bato001 has received thanks:
icziko (17 Mar 2017, 22:09)
User avatar
bato001
Resistor Ronker
 
Posts: 322
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 22:31
Location: NJ
Has thanked: 45 times
Have thanks: 55 times

Re: EarthQuaker Devices - Hoof Fuzz

Postby anselm » 17 Mar 2017, 22:07

bato001 wrote:Clipping diodes, even LEDs, do not normally light up at all.

any diode (xept leds) do not normally light up at all
not only clipping
rectifier diodes behave in the same way
***
icziko, when led conducting curren, it emmits light
it made for it
more current - more light
when led lights up, it clipps the signal
lightin up is perfectly normal

have fun


xqz my engl :wink:

For this message the author anselm has received thanks:
icziko (17 Mar 2017, 22:09)
anselm
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Jun 2014, 15:42
Has thanked: 10 times
Have thanks: 6 times

Re: EarthQuaker Devices - Hoof Fuzz

Postby icziko » 17 Mar 2017, 22:14

anselm wrote:
bato001 wrote:Clipping diodes, even LEDs, do not normally light up at all.

any diode (xept leds) do not normally light up at all
not only clipping
rectifier diodes behave in the same way
***
icziko, when led conducting curren, it emmits light
it made for it
more current - more light
when led lights up, it clipps the signal
lightin up is perfectly normal

have fun


xqz my engl :wink:


Thx Bato & anselm
I checked my built around LED diodes and there is no bridge between diodes and caps and solder site. Moreover I checked polarity of diodes (using diode mode on DMM) and it is OK so by taking that fact and Your answers I think it is normal.
My only concern is that D3-D4 diodes lights more than D1-D2. D3-D4 lights fully according to string strum and D1-D2 similarly but they are lighter once I crank fuzz sustain fully up. I think that D3 and D4 are 1st stage of clipping and D1 and D2 for 2nd stage and for some reason 1st stage clips signal more than 2nd stage. Does it make any sense?
Thx
icziko
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 21:22
Has thanked: 3 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests