Lovepedal Super Six Stevie Mod  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
holm
Information

Post by holm »

modman wrote:
joaquin.norambuena wrote:here trying to bring this good ol' thread back to life.
So it's just a timmy?, confirmed? can anybody be a little more specific on the mods done to it?, Its virtually imposible to get one I'm my country to check it out, so it would be very helpful to have some input from you guys!
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabbl ... 55i20.html
As far as I'm concerned, the linked layout has little to do with Lovepedals SS stevie mod. It's Frank N. H.'s take on the concept of a pedal giving you that SRV/Vibroverb sound.

holm
Information

Post by holm »

JbassFunk775 wrote:
marckosolo1 wrote:last week i had one for a small repair.
Its a Timmy copy. I could not read all the capacitor values. The opamp is sanded. The resistor values are all the same except bias resistor for the input. This is 1M instead of 510 K. There are some small mods. Gain pot is 500 kA. Treble pot is 10 kB. There are four 1n914 diodes in the clipping stage. I tested the pedal side by side with a Timmy. The differences where very small and easy to compensate with the gain and tone knobs.
-Yep that’s the exact same circuit board I have in my Lovepedal Super 6 Stevie Mod.. So I can at least confirm that’s the genuine article as well as the a few components (the op amp in particular) have had all printing & indicators obscured via filing and some form of black epoxy. Making identification impossible. The guy who posted the “traced” Super Six SM schematic may have come up with a nice sounding circuit, but the actual Lovepedal SS isn’t the kind of smaller MOSFET type thing found in a lot of clean booster/preamp like an Xotic EP, Or even like in a Lovepedal Les Louis (tweed sound).

**Now with that said I feel I need to clear the air with regard to suggestions that the Super Six Stevie Mod is “basically a Paul C Timmy”. Please let me be clear;The Lovepedal SS is not based on, or variation of, a Timmy.. In fact the Super Six is nothing like a Timmy in any way whatsoever I own an original Timmy and a Super Six Stevie; The Timmy utilizes “soft clipping” design utilizing diodes in symmetrical/Asymmetrical switched clipping configurations etc. The Lovepedal is the very opposite and utilizes only a single op-amp “hard clipping” concept.. I could go on but you get the
point, plus they don’t sound anything alike regardless.

Since this is actually my very first post on this forum I think I’ll stop there. I’ve probably ruffled enough feathers as it is.. :whappen: However if there’s anyone interested in my input I’d love to help break this down
I would be very happy to have this explained, how does one decipher that the Lovepedal SS Stevie mod is based on single op-amp concept?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

plush wrote:Guys

I've spent my early life outside, so I've missed all the drama. Can anybody explain what's this whole Lovepedal thing is all about? :?
I know the guy's "famous" for making 1001th iteration of electra overdrive, but still?
i think people were already tired of the bullshit sales talk about the latest vox/fender/marshall/boogie/musicman/tweed/silverface/supro that just happened to be a single bjt, four resistors, three caps and pair of diodes, and his tendency to lie about what the circuit actually was on a cool new audio-only demo, specially designed fuzzes that actually turned out to be an Escobedo diy circuit or YAFF......etc etc. He then released that clone of Paul C's Timmy, and everyone who knew anything about pedals saw it as a direct lift with a few minor adjustments to a few components that slightly altered the gain range, and the extremes of the high and low cut available with a boost tacked on (and i think there had been a paul c timmy with a boost)..... but again, sean claimed that much like Brønsted and Lowry in the world of chemistry, he and paul had simultaneously created this circuit, but paul just happened to have been making them for years and had long ago confirmed the schematic of his original-ish circuit (by most boutique pedal standards) online, but somehow totally unbeknownst to sean. sean lovepedal just seems to be the personification of what many diy pedal folks dislike about the nature of the "boutique" guitar pedal industry, and those who have transitioned from diy sharing of knowledge to mass market appeal and sales. Other bad 'uns would be zvex and JHS, to my mind. People like paul c, wampler, catalinbread main man (RIP) and his co-workers who continue the flame, and many others seem quite honest by comparison and prepared to acknowledge their sources of inspiration here and on other websites.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Whats bad about zvex again?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Seiche wrote:Whats bad about zvex again?
is this sarcasm? :hmmm:
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

He is not really on par with sean though

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

For different reasons, but I think Zvex is worse. Sean just rips off other designers or endlessly reproduces the same circuits with tweaks and lies about it. Zachary Vex spent years on DIYSB insisting that it was illegal and also morally repugnant to trace his circuits (even if it was to help someone repair one of his defective pedals), and claiming that a schematic drawing made by a third party (e.g. someone who had traced the circuit of a pedal they had purchased) was intellectual property theft of the designer's work. He is the main reason this site was set up, since Aron at DIYSB had an agreement with Vex, Teese, Fultone etc not to allow sharing of "their" circuit designs (anyone else's was fair game, though). All totally false assertions, and of course within a few years of FSB starting up and dispassionately documenting ALL guitar-related circuits, whether vintage, modern or "boutique", Zvex realised the game was up and moved to capitalise on the DIY scene he had tried to stifle by releasing the Inventobox.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Which was a great success... not.

Yeah i remember. Thanks for the summary, I got here a bit later and remember reading the catfight thread back then (almost ten years ago).

-X-
Information

Post by -X- »

Nocentelli wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 05:19 For different reasons, but I think Zvex is worse. Sean just rips off other designers or endlessly reproduces the same circuits with tweaks and lies about it. Zachary Vex spent years on DIYSB insisting that it was illegal and also morally repugnant to trace his circuits (even if it was to help someone repair one of his defective pedals), and claiming that a schematic drawing made by a third party (e.g. someone who had traced the circuit of a pedal they had purchased) was intellectual property theft of the designer's work.
What's hilarious about Zach engaging in extreme ca-PIG-all-is-mine-ism is that he's left of Lenin & Mao in his political bent & was such an opinionated arse :troll: on harmony central he drove this apolitical musician to hate his products because just the thought of using anything associated with that ranting fool was nauseating [smilie=rlp_smilie_207.gif]

Anyways, was shifty Sean's super *duper* 6 sic mod pedal determined to Timmy based after all, or not?