Lovepedal - Dover Drive  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Lovepedal - Dover Drive

Postby ivan H » 01 Oct 2017, 01:14

That's great if one is looking to change the original effect into a high gain distortion (I already have high gain distortions), however I put this together because I wanted the original effect for some Reverend Billy G type tones which it can do quite well. A search on transistor gains for silicon fuzz face type circuits led me to info that the first transistor gain is best somewhere around 65% ~ 85% of the second transistor. Actual gains aren't so important (allegedly) so long as this ratio is kept. Apparently this gives the best interaction between the guitar & effect, allowing cleanup with the guitar's volume control, touch sensitivity etc. Also mentioned experimenting with input/output cap values along with the transistors to get tonal response desired. Cheers
ivan H
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby Manfred » 01 Oct 2017, 09:22

A search on transistor gains for silicon fuzz face type circuits led me to info that the first transistor gain is best somewhere around 65% ~ 85% of the second transistor.

I am interrest in this theme too and going to work on it.
Manfred
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 314 times

Postby di-anno » 02 Oct 2017, 21:23

Manfred wrote:Thanks, sounds good!
I further step could be to hook in the blend circuity of the Lovepedal Silicon Fuzzmaster.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.de/2012/06/lovepedal-silicon-fuzzmaster.html

Thanks for reply, it's fairly clear that bassy/clarity of this pedal strongly depends on its input impedance and probably in your link there is the best solution to manipulate it. However I found in buffered version a better sound than the original (..for my ears and for my rig..) so i experienced in that way introducing a dual gang pot in buffer to control clarity/bass and volume pot responce. i still have some noise problem but promises good.

dov_buf_1.jpeg

I think that in front of fuzz face type pedal it would be very useful something like this:
http://www.stompbox.de/buffer_english.html

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
di-anno

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby ivan H » 03 Oct 2017, 06:52

Manfred wrote:
A search on transistor gains for silicon fuzz face type circuits led me to info that the first transistor gain is best somewhere around 65% ~ 85% of the second transistor.

I am interrest in this theme too and going to work on it.

Cool, I'd be interested in your results. I'll do the same when time allows. Cheers
ivan H
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 8 times

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...