Earthquaker Devices - Palisades  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
JorisBlack
Information

Post by JorisBlack »

Hey all,

I'm looking for a schematic (or even better: a vero layout) of the Earthquaker Devices Palisades overdrive. This thing is a PGS exclusive, which is pretty annoying, especially for us outside the US.

There is a gutshot in the pgs demo, but I doubt it will be useful... (gutshot at 1:45 --> )

Any help is appreciated :thumbsup

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

as they say in the demo it seems to be a TS808 derivative, with some mods:
  • - rotary switch to choose between different input caps
    - toggle switch to bypass the input buffer
    - a second gain knob activable via footswitch
    - rotary switch to choose between different clipping diodes (also mosfets)
    - a footswitchable boost
then we can see from the gutshots in the video that the op-amp is a LM833N

all these mods are easy to do and you can find many info around.
if i had to do such a pedal i would start with a landgraff D.O. clone plus a Super Hard On or a jfet booster circuit from AMZ

Fender074
Information

Post by Fender074 »

I have searched and searched .. But to no avail. Anybody know what is going on here or have a schematic to hand? It's based on a TS I know but what mods are there that makes it different? Absolutely love the demos online.

Tim

tip142
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tip142 »

Don't you see under " similar topic",here at the bottom ;is the first..........
:secret:

kmmoe
Information

Post by kmmoe »

Hi

Here is the schematic for a traced Palisades. There are three things I am uncertain about. The first thing is the orientation of the MPSA18 in the input buffer. I have checked it over and over, and the orientation seems to be correct the way it is drawn in the schematic, with 9V going to the emitter. The second thing is the flat top LED. It is water clear with a pinkish hue, but I am uncertain what color it is. The third is if the "no clipping diode" option is the way I have drawn it, or if it is linked.
Palisades schematic.png

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

It seems almost certain that the input buffer should have the collector connected to +9v and the emitter be the output and connected via the 10k to ground - Look at the output buffer.

"No clipping" is likely to be just how you have drawn it: If you connect a short across the clippers, you'll turn the opamp into a buffer.

Not sure what to advise about identifying the LED - I'd be tempted to connect a battery and 10k resistor very briefly across the terminals to get it to light up, not sure whether this risks damaging the opamp, though.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

kmmoe
Information

Post by kmmoe »

Thanks for your kind sugestions Nocentelli.

I measured continuity again, and I am 99% certain that I have the MPSA18 in the input buffer drawn correctly. Based on other circuits, as well as the orientation of the MPSA18 in the output buffer, it seems logical that it should be oriented the other way. But as far as I can tell, it is not. I have traced the whole circuit, and looked it over many times.

The op-amp is socketed, so i pulled it and measured the diodes with a multimeter. The green diodes lit up, but not the water clear flat top. It did measure 1.247 V while in the circuit, if this could help anybody figure out what kind of diode this is.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

UV or IR, perhaps?
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

The boost switch on the bottom right on the above schematic does not work in this arrangement.
The switches shall arranged in this a way:
BoostSwitchCorrection.jpg
Which function on the panel is assigned to the switch across the input buffer?

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Manfred wrote:Which function on the panel is assigned to the switch across the input buffer?
input buffer ON/OFF

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

A BJT can also be operated in inverse order, but the diffrence is that the gain is significantly lower than in normal order.
I ran a simualtion of the buffer circuit and found the stage gains as follows.

Normal mode: 0.987
Inverse mode: 0.522

I suppose that was an intentional circuit design decision on the developer.

In that case the "Input Boost" is switched off if the circuit is active.
InputBufferModes.jpg

kmmoe
Information

Post by kmmoe »

Based on the comments I now think that the unknown LED in the clipping section could be a IR diode. It seems unlikely that it is a UV diode. If anyone has a good way of confirming this, suggestions would be very welcome. I can not see the writing in the BAT41's too good either, so these could be BAT43's as well. I really do not want to desolder them to have a closer look. To me, this is now the only uncertaintys in the schematic.

And if I understand correctly, the oriantation of the MPSA18 in the input buffer seems likely the way I have drawn it.

I have updated my drawing with the comments on the switch orientation (found another switch the wrong way as well) and will post it later. This is my first trace and first schematic drawing, so there were bound to be some mistakes, however I am quite confident that this is now close to 100%

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Manfred wrote:A BJT can also be operated in inverse order, but the diffrence is that the gain is significantly lower than in normal order.
I ran a simualtion of the buffer circuit and found the stage gains as follows.

Normal mode: 0.987
Inverse mode: 0.522

I suppose that was an intentional circuit design decision on the developer.

In that case the "Input Boost" is switched off if the circuit is active.
InputBufferModes.jpg
I'm not big at interpreting these data, but if I'm not wrong, with the mpsa18 operating in inverse order the input signal-level is equal to the output, so you don't have differences in volume when you flip the buffer switch.

What I don't understand is why the signal gets boosted with the mpsa18 oriented in the conventional way; aren't buffers supposed to have unity gain at max?

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

What I don't understand is why the signal gets boosted with the mpsa18 oriented in the conventional way; aren't buffers supposed to have unity gain at max?
The MPSA18 have no gain boost in the conventional way, because the collector circuit has nearly unity gain.
The less gain in the inverse mode is due to the dotation of the base-collector junction.

The "boost" works in reverse function in that case, the circuit would better named as input attenuator,
but "boost" is a common term in the pedal world and clear for the user.

kmmoe
Information

Post by kmmoe »

I have updated the schematic. Found another slight mistake. The asym clipping is the 1n416 diodes, while the sym clipping is the 1n4148 diodes. Sorry about that.

Some additional information. all resistors are metal film exept the 10M, which is a carbon film for some reason. Could be supply. The pedal I have traced have 3mm green LED's, however I have seen some pictures with 5mm green LED's as well. Even though the earlier Palisades are said to be able to be run at up to 18V, EQD now states that it should only be run at 9V.
Attachments
Palisades schematic.png

albru80
Information

Post by albru80 »

Thanks mate!
Easy fix!
Attachments
EQD Palisades.png

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

@Manfred:
Please excuse me, but something is still not clear to me.
There are 2 switches on the pedal: A toggle switch for buffer bypass, AND a footswitch for activating the boost circuit (a dedicated little circuit, that has nothing to do with the input buffer)

I say this because I have the feeling that you're talking about the buffer switch as it was the boost switch... Please excuse me if I misunderstood your posts.

Back to the simulation that you've made:
As I said before I'm not big at reading those data.
What I see is that you feed the 2 circuits with a 1kHz, 1Vpk (peak to peak?) signal.
In the first circuit (mpsa18 conventionally oriented) you get at the output 1.97V(p-p), and in the second circuit 962mV(p-p).
What does this "(p-p)" stand for? Is it peak to peak? If it is, doesn't that mean that in the first circuit you get an increase in signal-level, from 1Vpk to 1,97(p-p)? While in the second circuit (mpsa18 in the unusual configuration) you get almost the same signal-level as at the input?

But you said that the gain factor is 0.987 in normal mode, and 0.522 in inverse mode...
So, how do you calculate the gain factor?

Thanks

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Please excuse me, but something is still not clear to me.
There are 2 switches on the pedal: A toggle switch for buffer bypass, AND a footswitch for activating the boost circuit (a dedicated little circuit, that has nothing to do with the input buffer)
Sorry, my fault.
I have mixed up buffer and boost.
The "buffer ON" switch turns the input buffer on or off.
The foot switch "boost" turns the boost circuit on or off.

Vp-p means the peak-to-peak voltage.
Ignor this values, because they changes during the simulation, there are random values at the time of screenshot.
But you said that the gain factor is 0.987 in normal mode, and 0.522 in inverse mode...
So, how do you calculate the gain factor?
The input level is 0.707 Volts_rms

The Output level at normal mode is 0,698 Volts_rms.
Hence, the normal mode gain is 0.698 Volts_rms / 0.707 Volts_rms = 0,987.

The Output level at normal mode is 0,369 Volts_rms.
Hence, the normal mode gain is 0.369 Volts_rms / 0.707 Volts_rms = 0,522.

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Thanks a lot, now all is clear.

So, in the original pedal, if you switch the buffer on, the signal should get a significant drop in volume.
...why did they do it this way?

I have another question: does the signal-phase stay the same when the mpsa18 is used inversely?
If so, then this could be the answer.

PS: I've just read the description of this buffer-switch on the EQD site.
They say:
Buffer: Turns the input buffer on or off. ON is a tighter and brighter tone while OFF is a warmer tone with more sag.
And also:
[...] a buffer on/off switch to tighten up the tone and make it sparkle when set to “ON” or warm it up and make it sag when set to “OFF”.
...something else is going on with the inverted mpsa18?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

"warm it up and make it sag" suggests less treble (more loading from lack of buffer) and hotter signal (from the increased output from no buffer). As to why, it suggests squeezing two benefits out of the buffer/no buffer option.