Friedman - Dirty Shirley  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Friedman Dirty Shirley

Postby Manfred » 12 Nov 2017, 05:37

Branimir wrote:I understand, but that's with DC current, what about RF signal ? Can you sweep it with pink noise and voltage dependant 0,5 to 1V?

There must be some measurable difference between the 1N4148 and the Schottky

Exucuse my poor technical English!

The BAV99 contains two high speed switching diodes not Schottkys.
The diode capacitances of 1.5 Pikofarads for the BAV99 and 4 Pikofarads for the 1N4148,
having no influence on audio frequency range.
Manfred
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 338 times

Re: Friedman - Dirty Shirley

Postby HamishR » 17 Nov 2017, 08:49

So I can use 1N4148s and I shouldn't be able to hear any difference from BAV99s. right? Thanks for documenting this.
HamishR

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby roseblood11 » 19 Nov 2017, 00:09

Has anybody built a version with the parts values of the be-od and the controls of the dirty shirley?

Maybe I'll try that - my pcb arrived today :D
roseblood11
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 299 times

Postby bugg » Yesterday, 03:02

roseblood11 wrote:Has anybody built a version with the parts values of the be-od and the controls of the dirty shirley?

The only significant component value difference (aside from an the new active midrange control) is the 27K (10K in the BEOD) resistor between the second clipping stage and the presence control...

I'd be interested to hear how it compares if you try it.
bugg
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 138 times

Postby Optical » Yesterday, 10:41

bugg wrote:
roseblood11 wrote:Has anybody built a version with the parts values of the be-od and the controls of the dirty shirley?

The only significant component value difference (aside from an the new active midrange control) is the 27K (10K in the BEOD) resistor between the second clipping stage and the presence control...

I'd be interested to hear how it compares if you try it.

I believe that 10k/27k resistor just sets the gain of that stage. Setting the internal trimpot of the BEOD to a low setting would achieve much the same thing...
Breaking out that trimpot and adding the mid control would produce a pedal capable of all the BEOD + DS tones
Optical

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Frabbio » Yesterday, 17:06

Single sided layout for Dirty Shirley+Friedman BeOd in a box, this layout has the best of both worlds, there are 7 pcb mounted pots so you can build a BeOD with a mid control, or a DS with a tight knob, as said before the only notable difference is R16 in my schematic (10k for BEOD, 27k for DS).

I used through hole ICs this time, but i kept the smd diodes (BAV99). If somebody is interested i can post the same layout with normal diodes.
Board dimensions are 115x40mm, it should fit in a hammond bb enclosure.
Layout still unverified but it should work.

If you build it please report if everything is working as intended.

Good DIY!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author Frabbio has received thanks: 2
alexradium (Yesterday, 19:55), Daza (Today, 05:16)
Frabbio
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 53 times

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...