Vertex - Steel String Singer  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Dsmnoisemaker
Information

Post by Dsmnoisemaker »

I was at the Summer Namm in Nashville this year..
Our stand was just in front of VERTEX (and beside "Gamechanger audio", cool guys!)..

It was quite uncomfortable to have Vertex as stand neighbors..Just by knowing what Mason did a few years ago, i was disgusted..Even more because they got a LOT of attention. His stand had live "super cool hyped" musicians jamming for hours, and we could not turn our amps higher or got angry looks from the public..Premier guitar, Lee Andertons, reverb, etc just drooling on their booth and i was like "WTF? don´t they do any research??"
The first two days it was like a competition..if we played a few seconds loudly, we got evil eyes from mason and their team, and they would turn it up..The last day was, fuck it, LOUD WAR!! At the end Mason kindly approached me and invited us to the after Namm party..but we declined..(just because we were too tired)..

I have to say i envy Mason´s determination and marketing abilities..having cool hip musicians playing, having friends to come to their booth and make it look crowded, getting magazines, youtubers, etc coming by...i don´t envy his ethics, though.

StratWiz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by StratWiz »

Does anyone have schematic or trace for Vertex Ultraphonix overdrive, a D-syle pedal?
The steel string drive's bother.
Thanks
SW

Cigano23
Information

Post by Cigano23 »

StratWiz wrote:Does anyone have schematic or trace for Vertex Ultraphonix overdrive, a D-syle pedal?
The steel string drive's bother.
Thanks
SW
I wouldn't bother with that, it's a Zendrive clone.

StratWiz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by StratWiz »

Thank you, though I found the Vertex to sound thicker and more like John Mayer's sound, and it has a Filter pot compared to the Zen's Tone and Voice..
I also checked the Vertex, it's SMD made, and I found it noisier than my TS and Wampler drive.
I may build at some point a Zendrive, I guess Aion Azimuth is a good PCB choice
Thanks
SW
Attachments
IMG-20191114-WA0022.jpg

Yazoo55
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Yazoo55 »

For the Steel String Singer, do you need to match transistors or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance.

basicchannel
Information

Post by basicchannel »

Yazoo55 wrote:For the Steel String Singer, do you need to match transistors or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance.
It's two Orman Mini-boosts in series. They don't need matched fets.