Demedash Effects - T120 Videotape Echo Pedal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

trampled_empire wrote:I spent some time away from this, and sort of realized it wasn't the idea of this being traced that bothered me so much as the attitude of the individual who started this thread.
captain_tango wrote:It's always sad seeing when someone falls from grace within the strict open sourcedness of this forum, especially when they've been pretty helpful elsewhere. Steve seems like a good guy, but I wish he realised that trying to hide a circuit is only going to make people here try even harder at finding out what's under the hood.
More people, especially people trying their luck in the game of selling pedals, should take note of this.
Transparency does in fact not really kill your sales, quite the contrary. Sharing is caring and those who want to build your stuff, will find a way no matter what you do to avoid it. Best case scenario is you share something with such an inherent kindness and respect for the flow of future development of the guitar pedal universe that even some of these modders and tweakers who never buy anything may at the very least recommend your stuff to those who do!
That's just me, and I have to live with me.
While I have not frequented or contributed to this site in the past and really have no grace to fall from, I do my best to take the time to answer any questions anyone has about circuitry and share cool circuits that I think others might find useful elsewhere. I'm not going to stop doing that, but this experience has simply taught me to be more careful about what I share publicly.

If I'd been asked about the switching circuit in this to begin with rather than being flat out told that it was going to be traced, I would have been happy to share a schematic of it. The approach that Seiche has taken in this whole situation, however, has been aggressive and rather disrespectful. I apologize to anyone else if I was overly defensive and came across as demeaning towards this community at large. I have no bone to pick with anyone here besides the socially inept individual who has been nothing short of insufferable about this from the beginning.

I do not have an issue with circuit tracing as a rule. It's absolutely true that no makers these days would be doing what they do if it weren't for the people who figured out the circuitry that went into the pedals that came before.

I do have a problem with Seiche's complete lack of tact and I again maintain that he's a shit.

Also true that early units were adapted from the Mag Echo, using the Magnetron PCB from PedalPCB. I don't go out of my way to advertise that but don't try to lie about it either, just as Keeley won't advertise but won't lie that it's based on some other thing that was in turn based on the Rebote. There are plenty of small changes and a few bigger ones. But yes, the Mag Echo was sort of the platform I used to develop this back when I made the original one or two. It has and continues to evolve over time. But and the end of the day, this is just a nicely tuned delay unit, nothing mind-blowing or revolutionary. I've done here what many before me have done, made something new out of something old. Really not sure why Seiche is being driven into such a fervor over it.

Also, yes, of course I made it look like an existing VHS tape package. The point is that it looks like a VHS tape. If I invented some non-existent VHS tape package that noone recognized, you know what it would look like? It would look like some random pedal with vaguely 90s-ish artwork that says "VHS" on it, Seiche. Christ.
Hi Steve,

It seems that you are becoming too personal with your butthurt. A bucket of ice should help.

Have a nice day.

trampled_empire
Information

Post by trampled_empire »

plush wrote: Hi Steve,

It seems that you are becoming too personal with your butthurt. A bucket of ice should help.

Have a nice day.
Hah, probably true. I'll give that a shot.

BetterOffShred
Information

Post by BetterOffShred »

trampled_empire wrote:
plush wrote: Hi Steve,

Have a nice day.
Hah, probably true. I'll give that a shot.
Lol..

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

So i built a magnetron with the values from the deluxe layout and a tone control. Since I couldn't really tell where he put the tone control in the layout (it looks like it's next to C8 but not sure), i used the tone control from jon pattons hamlet delay. Sounds pretty good. Very ambient friendly. I socketed the two components that are different and will try different values there.

Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

Seiche wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 18:25 So i built a magnetron with the values from the deluxe layout and a tone control. Since I couldn't really tell where he put the tone control in the layout (it looks like it's next to C8 but not sure), i used the tone control from jon pattons hamlet delay. Sounds pretty good. Very ambient friendly. I socketed the two components that are different and will try different values there.
Could be just a 25k pot in series after R13 and before C8, acting like a variable low pass filter. Seems very easy to implement.

Boba7
Information

Post by Boba7 »

Actually, judging from the demos it seems that the « tape age » pot acts as a high pass filter, with maybe slight clipping. It’s not a tone control on the Demedash.

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

It would be interesting to add a white/pink noise circuit (like the one you see in synths) to mix in with the dry signal to get more of a "tape" like sound :hmmm:

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Does exist a white/pink noise circuit? I want it!
Some suggestion about one circuit like that?

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

Here are a couple of classics. The first is the Moog 923 and the second is the 4022 from the ARP 2600....
y39f1mfi0hx51.png
Attachments
arp-4022-white-noise-generator.pdf
(15.7 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

There's also the option of a programmed µC, like the noise1 or 2 from Electricdruid
https://electricdruid.net/product/noise ... generator/
https://electricdruid.net/product/noise ... generator/

If you can flash the PIC, there's the project page too (included code and tons of interesting informations):
https://electricdruid.net/noise2-white- ... se-source/

AlphaMoose
Information

Post by AlphaMoose »

Ichabod_Crane wrote: 11 Jul 2022, 09:08 Does exist a white/pink noise circuit? I want it!
Some suggestion about one circuit like that?
There’s also this, which I admit I haven’t messed with much (nor do I have any idea what “infra-red noise” is) but it seems simple enough.
https://experimentalistsanonymous.com/d ... erator.gif