Benson Preamp  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Benson Preamp

Postby bmxguitarsbmx » 16 Sep 2019, 18:37

andy-h-h wrote:Any suggestions as to what capacitors should be used to get the same response using a 1M pot instead of 2M or a dual 1M? :hmmm:

Thanks.

Scale all resistors by 0.5, all capacitors by 2. I do mean all resistors and capacitors in this network, including gain pot.
bmxguitarsbmx
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby knottypine » 29 Sep 2019, 01:34

atalas wrote:
knottypine wrote:Is there a suggested voltage for Q1?

Pedal sounds pretty nice in front of my Music Man with Bass, Mid, and Treble set to 5

~5V, or if you have a bunch of J201, set the source resistance to 12K and swap JFETs until you get one sit at 5V at the source. This will achieve a closer sonic result than just changing the source resistance to achieve 5V for whatever JFET is in there now.

Could someone mock up a stripboard layout with a trimmer for Q1? ✌️
knottypine

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby atalas » 09 Oct 2019, 04:59

knottypine wrote:
atalas wrote:
knottypine wrote:Is there a suggested voltage for Q1?

Pedal sounds pretty nice in front of my Music Man with Bass, Mid, and Treble set to 5

~5V, or if you have a bunch of J201, set the source resistance to 12K and swap JFETs until you get one sit at 5V at the source. This will achieve a closer sonic result than just changing the source resistance to achieve 5V for whatever JFET is in there now.

Could someone mock up a stripboard layout with a trimmer for Q1? ✌️

You could just bodge in a trimmer instead of the 12k. Maybe use short little jumpers, or even make it an external control.
atalas

Have thanks: 22 times

Previous

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...