Analogman - King of Tone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Is the graphic an iron-on toner transfer?
Looks nice!

wagn
Information

Post by wagn »

vanessa wrote:Bean looks great! Boost not worth adding as a stomp switch?
that's what i was thinking too

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

The graphic is a waterslide decal. I used a couple coats of a triple coat gloss with a foam brush to seal it. I'm totally sold on that stuff over clear coat from a can. It is so much easier to deal with and dries quickly. I don't know how well that stuff works on a non-textured paint surface yet.

As far as a boost: from the layout the 'boost' function is just a bit of treble boost, and very subtle at that. For a true boost, I considered throwing in a small jFet stage at the end and making that switchable via stomp, but I decided to keep this build simple. Certainly, any version of a jFet, Mosfet or SHO boost at the end of this circuit would be a great addition. You could just use any of the existing layouts out there as a daughter board.

Zztop128
Information

Post by Zztop128 »

Why does the original KOT has two 3PDT switches???

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

because it's two of the same circuit in one box.

I am Klon.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Isn´t that funny:

some people are on a two years waiting list for the Bluesbreaker-clone, but another ones like "robertb2606" get enough that they can sell one unit every month for more than $400,--:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 0190377953

https://cgi.ebay.com/Analogman-King-Of- ... dZViewItem

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Zztop128
Information

Post by Zztop128 »

Are it two bluesbreaker pedals in series or am I wrong???:)

ty

Bram

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Bean, I'm curious...you have controls labeled "B" and "T". Did you add bass and treble controls or just move internal trimmer outside? Thanks.

By the way...Rustoleum silver hammered spray, waterslide decals, decal softner and Rustoleum clear gloss spray yield great results.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Yep, the boost was moved to an external knob. The PCB I designed was set up that you could do diodes switching and boost either internally or externally.

Deaj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deaj »

I was curious about this one so I set up a stock Bluesbreaker circuit on the breadboard and then modded it to KOT specs. The stock BB circuit was a yawn - flat, dull, lifeless, blah. I couldn't find anything to like in the stock Bluesbreaker circuit at all. I really like the KOT version though! I'm still messing around with diode types for the clippers but even with the 4 symmetrical 1N4148's it sounds quite good. I don't know if this is something I'd give up pedal board space for but I'm likely to build it just the same.

Thanks all around for this one!

Deaj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deaj »

I have a pair of 5mm red LED's in the clipping circuit and I really like 'em! I didn't much care for the treble boost so I removed it. Instead I replaced the 6.8K resistor at the tone pot sweeper with a 20K-B pot for a Crunch Box style Presence control. This one's growing on me.

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

I think we should be talking about the clipping diodes. The KOT of has an interesting arrangement of clipping diodes.

Looks D7, 8 form a negative feedback loop very interesting?

No wait, D7,8 go to Vr. Hmm not as interesting. Looks similar to a Rat and TS with options for either clipping set up.

Couple be good to have two in the same box.

Deaj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deaj »

After playing around with this circuit for a few days I decided to go ahead and build it. I used Madbean's PCB layout as a general reference for a perf-board build. I replaced all of the diodes and switches with a simple pair of 5mm red LED's. To be honest I didn't like any diodes in any configuration in this circuit. I dumped the boost control in presence control (lifted from the Crunch Box ver.2 circuit). I also used a 250K-B drive pot. It sounds fantastic!

Here are a few pics:

Thanks again everyone for another great circuit! :)

pullagnm
Information

Post by pullagnm »

Deaj, nice build. Could you do a drawing like you did with the Eternity? Thanks

Deaj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deaj »

pullagnm wrote:Deaj, nice build. Could you do a drawing like you did with the Eternity? Thanks

Thanks! :)

I plan on doing assembling a full set of project files. I should be able to complete post it by Tuesday afternoon.

Deaj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deaj »

Here are the layout diagrams for my perf-board build. (schematic coming soon):

wagn
Information

Post by wagn »

thanks again deaj

Coma
Information

Post by Coma »

Whao! Why did I just sell my BB...I'll get another kit and start from scratch!

silver_bullet_fx
Information

Post by silver_bullet_fx »

Hello everyone! This is my first "real" post :) Well I'm really interested in this pedals tone. I've been doing some search on those hard to get diodes, 1s1588 and ma856, and I've found this datasheet of this switching band diode:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.net/pt/data ... A482.shtml

It seems to me that the BA484 would be similar to the ma856...Just a guess from reading the datasheet, 'cause I'm a n00b :P. Anyway, I would like to here your sugestions about possible substitutions of those diodes. JHS already wrote here and I quote: "Compared to a 1N4148 the MA856 sound a bit fatter and more fuzzy.
IMHO a 1N4003 in series with a 1N914 is a good subs for 2 MA856 wired in series." but I would like to read some more ideias from you guys.

Deaj
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Deaj »

I recorded some audio of my build this evening at someones request on another forum and I thought I'd post a link here as well. The files are posted here: http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawe ... demos/mbb/

Guitar used is an alder strat with a maple/maple neck, Lindy Fralin Unbucker PAF bridge pickup, Fralin Real 54's in the neck & middle positions, trem bridge. The amp use is a Fuchs ODS-50 SLX 1x12 combo loaded w/ an EVM-12L speaker. Mic used is a Shure SM57. Recorded dry, no processing added.

Comments? (well, on the pedal - not the playing :D).

Enjoy!