Analogman - King of Tone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

I don't get perfboards here where I live, so 100% of my projects are PCB.
I drawed it myself, if anyone's interested I'll share it, no problem. The only thing is that I'm quite new to designing IC PCBs (done fuzzes all my life) so it's not actually brilliant, and I have a habit of leaving some stuff offboard (in this case I left all the diodes and tonestack ofboard, for easyer tweaking).

and I just woke up, gonna see the "shite" right now!

snail

super velcroboy
Information

Post by super velcroboy »

nice job!
is it illegal to post the pcb of the kot like that? Seems like that was when analogman got pissed.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

super velcroboy wrote:nice job!
is it illegal to post the pcb of the kot like that? Seems like that was when analogman got pissed.
It would be illegal for someone to take a KoT board and make and exact clone to use in his own product or to sell on it's own. Analogman owns the copyright to the PCB artwork. He does NOT (to my knowledge) own the copyright to that particular photo, so it is up to the discretion of the photo's owner to say whether someone can or cannot post it. It is being hosted on PhotoBucket, so it's their responsibility to deal with the dispute if the photo is being hosted there illegally.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

theyear2042
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by theyear2042 »

soulsonic wrote: It would be illegal for someone to take a KoT board and make and exact clone to use in his own product or to sell on it's own. Analogman owns the copyright to the PCB artwork. He does NOT (to my knowledge) own the copyright to that particular photo, so it is up to the discretion of the photo's owner to say whether someone can or cannot post it. It is being hosted on PhotoBucket, so it's their responsibility to deal with the dispute if the photo is being hosted there illegally.
regardless of who took the photo, it is still considered to be analogmans "artwork" and is illegal to reproduce.

we would be wise to edit all posts embeding the pcb image into the forum, and editing posts that link to it.

am has requested its removal and we should honour the request.

kt!

super velcroboy
Information

Post by super velcroboy »

soulsonic wrote:
super velcroboy wrote:nice job!
It would be illegal for someone to take a KoT board and make and exact clone to use in his own product or to sell on it's own. Analogman owns the copyright to the PCB artwork. He does NOT (to my knowledge) own the copyright to that particular photo, so it is up to the discretion of the photo's owner to say whether someone can or cannot post it. It is being hosted on PhotoBucket, so it's their responsibility to deal with the dispute if the photo is being hosted there illegally.
it would be good if we had some lawyers to refer to (for free of course). I love this forum and i would hate it if it has to be closed down because somebody (keeley) or whoever 22uf is posted an emptied pcb :roll:

theyear2042
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by theyear2042 »

super velcroboy wrote: it would be good if we had some lawyers to refer to (for free of course). I love this forum and i would hate it if it has to be closed down because somebody (keeley) or whoever 22uf is posted an emptied pcb :roll:
im wondering is 22uf is analogman delivering a trojan horse so he has grounds to sue.

that artwork looks like an original manufacture scan to me. the person who took that photo did not buy a pedal and desolder the parts.

so either am is setting us up or someone turned on am. why would am presume it was keeley that had a copy of of the manufacturer scan pcb??

either way, i would say that both the "artwork" and the "artwork" copyrights belong squarely to analogman..

kt!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

You should have a look at this:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... oxes#16266

if you want to get a better picture of the seriousity of Analogmans business practice.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

that artwork looks like an original manufacture scan to me. the person who took that photo did not buy a pedal and desolder the parts
I heard that that someone has the BOM and silkscreen too - he used to build these for Analog Mike if i remember correctly - perhaps he is on his waiting list :lol: :lol:
..........and you thought Angel Mikey Boy was building his own pedals, didn't you now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Judging by the amateur look of his website (and his pre war computer), i doubt whether he actually knows which end of the soldering iron to hold :wink:
BUT he sure knows how to sell product .......and not just his own branded stuff (which are all clones of existing pedals, with minor mods), but he onsells for a profit other manufacturers equipment too. :lol: :lol:
Sales must be slow for him - maybe he cannot find enough fools to build this stuff for him - whatever - SO - hissy fit time to crank up demand - do yourselves a favour - spend your money wisely - somewhere else :idea: :!: :!:
bajaman

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Just doing some final checking...
Last edited by madbean on 05 Jan 2008, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

Hmmm... that image is a little outta focus.. hehehe

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Okay here she is. It's verified except the boost isn't working for me (I used a pot in my build ((UPDATE: I think it's faulty wires on my end))). I may have to replace a couple of components later and see if that fixes it.

Sounds great, BTW. I'm going to do a build pictorial.

(links removed by admin: updated files later on in the thread)
Last edited by madbean on 05 Jan 2008, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I got a chance to test the circuit out a bit more this morning. It is really nice sounding. I used the 100nf/1uF combo for output caps. In the first diode pair I used 1N914-1N4004, and changed the order the opposite way to 1N4004-1N914. In the second pair I used a couple of 1N5817's I found at a local shop. I also mixed carbon comps, orange drop, poly film and box caps in certain areas.

In the open position (no diodes) it is fat and loud, and a bit compressed. First diode pair on gives it a smooth overdrive. Both pairs on is very fuzzy. And the second pair only (the ones tied to Vb) is very dynamic and slightly fuzzy.

I think the drive control could be improved. As is, there is too much volume drop over the range of the drive. So I'm thinking of reducing R6 and maybe tying the same value resistor across lugs 3&2.

Anyway, it's a keeper.

Lovepedal Detective
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Lovepedal Detective »

Nice job. I really like my modded to KOT BB pedal.

LPD

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

Anyone tackle it yet???

Madbean- Hows that boost control working? Was it a wire issue?

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

It was a bad pot. Once I replaced it the boost worked fine. It is useful as a pot in addition to the tone control. Unfortunately, I also have a bad pot on the tone control (bad QA at Alpha, I guess!).

If I have a chance, I'll make a little demo video of it.

electrhysity
Information

Post by electrhysity »

The KOT schem on this thread has R3 listed as 27k and R4 listed as 33k. The BB schem has those resisters listed as 3k3 and 4k7. Are the KOT values confirmed? (Someone else said the only differences were opamp; diodes; 47pF to 100pF; and add 10k before gain pot.)

If 27k and 33k are correct, what change does that have from the 3.3 and 4.7?

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Both are correct.

Acc. to the factory schem the BB '92-'94 version has 27k/33k.
Smaller values had been used on the first edition ('91-'92).

JHS

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

And here is my completed build. I used a pretty wide variety of components based on availability and, of course, mojo.

Clickee below for bigee

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

Bean looks great! Boost not worth adding as a stomp switch?

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

madbean wrote:And here is my completed build. I used a pretty wide variety of components based on availability and, of course, mojo.
Nice looking pedal !

Eventually you need to come over and raid my parts bin.... :D