Analogman - King of Tone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

Hi! I just made King of [K]lones of madbean a few months ago. I must say, it is by far the most amazing overdriven tone I have ever heard my entire life! Thanks madbean! :D

distortion_gfx1
Information

Post by distortion_gfx1 »

madbean wrote:Here is the updated King of [K]lones board I alluded to some months ago. It is an improved layout with no jumpers. Have at it!
I do have a newer board that has the full KOT circuit with internal dip switches like the original. That is available through my PCB service. Of course, you can use the King of [K]lones board to do the full circuit...just put two in one box!
Print the PnP image at 600DPI for an exact match. The other two docs are 300DPI.
cool layout! :: :applause:
tnx alot madbean :applause:

g0d5_g1ft
Information

Post by g0d5_g1ft »

hi I dont get the print at 600dpi thing, I downloaded the gif, set my printer's resolution to 600dpi, and still the image is huge for a pedal. do I need to do anything else to the gif?

edit: nevermind i got it... :oops:

madmac
Information

Post by madmac »

Hi guys.

I had not noticed this high gain option for the KOT before on the AM website

http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

madmac wrote:Hi guys.

I had not noticed this high gain option for the KOT before on the AM website

http://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm
I just noticed it too, I guess it's pretty new.
I doubt it's anything radical.. :mrgreen:
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

cacophony wrote:Hi! I just made King of [K]lones of madbean a few months ago. I must say, it is by far the most amazing overdriven tone I have ever heard my entire life! Thanks madbean! :D
Cool. Is yours the single version or double version?

highway jones
Information

Post by highway jones »

Did anyone find this build extremely bright? I'm not completely sure if I have not made a mistake but with the tone backed all the way off it is tolerable. The drive is weaker than I expected as well which has me to believe that maybe I have lost the low end somewhere and only the high frequencies are clipping. Assuming I made a mistake, is there one place I should focus my search?

If I did not make a mistake, which caps should I socket and replace to tune the circuit to my liking? I'm using the KT66 layout (thanks a bunch) and I too omitted the treble control.

Thanks,

Jason

omarhowe
Information

Post by omarhowe »

highway jones wrote:Did anyone find this build extremely bright? I'm not completely sure if I have not made a mistake but with the tone backed all the way off it is tolerable. The drive is weaker than I expected as well which has me to believe that maybe I have lost the low end somewhere and only the high frequencies are clipping. Assuming I made a mistake, is there one place I should focus my search?

If I did not make a mistake, which caps should I socket and replace to tune the circuit to my liking? I'm using the KT66 layout (thanks a bunch) and I too omitted the treble control.

Thanks,

Jason

hi, hey i make the bluesbreaker(a basic KOT???? hehe)..and yeah i feel it bright to... i play it with the tone backed all the way off. i guess thats the sound of this pedal(i hate it the first time, but with a strat sounds just fine)

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

Yes, the BluesBreaker is very bright. But tone pot completely closed sounds very dull and mid-peak to me. I used to set it halfway but I like it bright with a single coil neck pickup.
A lot of low frequencies are filtered out in the stock BluesBreaker.

GGG has a mod for it that is also used in the KOT if I'm not misstaken:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mbb_sc2.pdf
Check the alternate values on the right:
R2 - 27k
R3 - 33k
I did not do: C4 - 10pF

I also removed C7 and bridged it with a jumper.

It now retains more low-mid frequencies. Now I just set the tone pot completely open. Try it!

omarhowe
Information

Post by omarhowe »

floris wrote:Yes, the BluesBreaker is very bright. But tone pot completely closed sounds very dull and mid-peak to me. I used to set it halfway but I like it bright with a single coil neck pickup.
A lot of low frequencies are filtered out in the stock BluesBreaker.

GGG has a mod for it that is also used in the KOT if I'm not misstaken:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_mbb_sc2.pdf
Check the alternate values on the right:
R2 - 27k
R3 - 33k
I did not do: C4 - 10pF

I also removed C7 and bridged it with a jumper.

It now retains more low-mid frequencies. Now I just set the tone pot completely open. Try it!
thats the RC filter right?

a few weeks ago i breadboarded the circuit to experiment with diferent values in that section

i replace R2,R3 and C2 for a 4.7k resistor and C3 for .047uf.....i also tried .1uf(sounds fuzzier to me) and .01(to treble)

another curious thing i've notice is that when my batterie dies(5v or so) the pedal start to sound really good to me xD, MORE BASS..but with less volumen :( ....but i dont know...maybe its just me :blackeye

ryanuk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by ryanuk »

Hi - this post might be slightly off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread.

A huge number of pedal designs are based upon opamps with diode clippers. I appeciate that different diode types (sil, Ge, LED) can give radically different sounds - however can you exect to percieve a radically different sound from sil diode to sil diode.

The KoT is prime example here. There seems to be a drive to use the original diodes from Analogman's design (MA856?) - however would the difference between MA856 and 1N4148 be that noticable.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

ryanuk wrote:Hi - this post might be slightly off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread.

A huge number of pedal designs are based upon opamps with diode clippers. I appeciate that different diode types (sil, Ge, LED) can give radically different sounds - however can you exect to percieve a radically different sound from sil diode to sil diode.

The KoT is prime example here. There seems to be a drive to use the original diodes from Analogman's design (MA856?) - however would the difference between MA856 and 1N4148 be that noticable.
IMO no.. any difference will be subtle.

madmac
Information

Post by madmac »

Greg_G wrote:
ryanuk wrote:Hi - this post might be slightly off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread.

IMO no.. any difference will be subtle.

I personally prefer the sound of the MA856 diodes and think that it makes a worthwhile but noticeable difference - it is subtle but still there.

The other diodes however "distortion mode diodes 1s1588" is less noticeable and probably not worth extra cost.

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

My build of this pedal was rather bright as well. I've owned some real KOTs and compared to them, the clone was so bright that I have the internal tone pot pot turned almost all the way down... this sounds much better than using the external control to dial out the top end IMO. Also the gain feels different on the clone, I have to turn the drive up a bit more. After these adjustments it's pretty darn close but still not a perfect copy. I'd also add that the original KOTs are very consistent from pedal to pedal.

grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

Interestingly enough, there is still about an 18 month waiting list:
http://www.analogman.com/kotdelay.htm

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

grolschie wrote:Interestingly enough, there is still about an 18 month waiting list:
How the hell these guys can stay in business, I don't know. That's ridiculous!

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

How could you not stay in business if you already have your orders for the next year and a half, and all you have to do is build and get paid.
:block:
No advertising.. not product development needed.. just build and collect.

It's a good position to be in if you can generate the reputation and hype to be there.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

SirElwood wrote:
grolschie wrote:Interestingly enough, there is still about an 18 month waiting list:
How the hell these guys can stay in business, I don't know. That's ridiculous!

Not everybody can build their own pedal. In fact, most people cant. I would say that most people know nothing about electronics and don't want to. They want to play guitar. Analogman has made quite a name for himself on the internet. Lots of people will buy products based on brand name alone. I work in a small retail store and I have had people come in asking if we sell Fender. As soon as we say "no" they walk out the door. They were totally uninterested in what we do carry because it isn't Fender. I have played enough guitars to know that the brand name really means nothing, but musicians tend to hear with their eyes a lot...

eddie_bowers
Information

Post by eddie_bowers »

Can anyone explain why there are two caps in parallel of different types at the output (C8 & C9)?

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

I just got mine after an 18 month wait. Both sides have the high gain option. If anyone's interested, I'll try to get some guts.